Anti-WhOA. Is this normal, Doctor?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The Weekenders wrote:I still want another whistle, but I have to play it first. No more ordering.
Ohhhh, never say never my friend......... :wink:

Loren
Doc Jones

Re: Major infection

Post by Doc Jones »

Doc Jones wrote:
I have the cure Patrick but it's painful. Buy yourself a set or two of pipes. Then you'll be so broke you won't even think about whistle acquisiton anymore.

Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

Some believe the flute can be a cure but I have seen many a sad case of FlOA and it's ugly. No, no...it must be the pipes.

Doc
Wooohooo! just bought an Abell Hi-G! :boggle:

Disclaimer:

As you can see, Doc Jones is absolutley unreliable as a source of information on controlling oneself in the face of almost any purchase. We regret having wasted everyone's time and are trying to get his medications re-calibrated. He's currently resting quietly in a padded room (twitching just a little). We expect a full recovery...again.

National Treatment Center For Whistle, Flute and Pipe Addiction
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I may have cured myself. I ordered a wooden flute. I have no more money to buy whistles. The last whistle I bought was a Waltons C. I played it first and immediately said this one is mine. It is wonderful.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Doc Jones wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:
I have the cure Patrick but it's painful. Buy yourself a set or two of pipes. Then you'll be so broke you won't even think about whistle acquisiton anymore.

Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

Some believe the flute can be a cure but I have seen many a sad case of FlOA and it's ugly. No, no...it must be the pipes.

Doc
Wooohooo! just bought an Abell Hi-G! :boggle:

Very cool whistle man, I've wanted one of those ever since I tried one a few years back.

Loren
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

patrickh wrote:
The disease is spreading throughout my system wildly. As a former sufferer who is now cured of MAS (Mandolin Aquisition Syndrome), I thought I would be resisent to this strain of infection but I was wrong. I am in serious trouble. Since the summer, my collection has grown to :

(5) Burkes - NB D - Brass, NB D - Allum, NB C, Session C and D.
(2) Busman (C and D) - a third (Eb) is coming
(1) Seery D
(1) Lon Dubh D
(2) Thin Weasels (C and High G)
(2) Black Diamonds (D and C)
(1) Greenwood (D)
(6) Assorted tweaks (Freeman, O'Briain)
(1) Silkstone D

On the way - Abell C/D set, Rose, Busman Eb, more tweaks (Irvine, Freeman, O'Briain), Humphrey D/C set, Water Weasel.
At this point, why seek a cure? Keep buying and trying, break on through to the 'other side'. :boggle:
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Impressive, Patrick. I could say that I'm concentrating on the music now, and don't need any more whistles, but, when I arise on the morrow, who knows...what evil (spelled w-h-o-a) lurks in the heart of man...only the whistleman....whhaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa! :twisted:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

DCrom wrote:I suspect that for many of us rampant WhOA is an attempt to improve our playing - "surely if I find THE ONE whistle, the problems I have with all my other whistles will disappear". Of course, the real area that needs improving is our playing, but this looks like a quick fix.
Well, there's the answer, then. Now that I've achieved nigh perfection as a player, I just don't need all those whistles anymore. :lol:

Actually, for me it might be just the opposite. Concentrating on one whistle seems to make me a better player, especially when it comes to "personality" issues such as breath vibrato (which each whistle responds to differently), notes that need blown into tune, etc.

t
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I'm with you, Badger. I very rarely play anything other than my oak D.

J.
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

For me, I've found that playing different whistle makes (and in different keys) has actually helped my playing quite a bit.

There was a time when I, too, thought I should focus on only one or two whistles. When I started branching out, I found that -- strangely (or so it seemed at the time) -- my playing on the whistles I'd been concentrating was getting much better.

Perhaps it's because I need to be flexible when playing substantially different whistles -- they require different fingerings, blowing, positioning, etc.

Moreover, I found this was also the case when I started learning the Irish flute about a year ago -- my struggles with the flute made me a better whistle player.

Of course, others have had exactly the opposite experience.

Walt
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Doc Jones wrote:Some believe the flute can be a cure but I have seen many a sad case of FlOA and it's ugly. No, no...it must be the pipes.

Doc
Yeah, especially when WORLD FAMOUS flute makers keep sending you their best stuff!!!!!!! :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I'm happy with the collection I have..."collection" being of a streatch. I have 1 cheap D whistle (I don't know the brand), 1 Clarke Origional in D, one D Alba, 1 low D Alba, 1 C flute (inexpensive), and 1 G flute (also inexpensive). At the moment, I have no desire to acquire more, because I prefer to not switch back and forth constnatly and because I'm cheap.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

My WhOA and FlOA are actually sublimations of my deep-seated compulsion to give noogies to people in authority.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Last night I had several dreams where I was searching for someting--the last dream I was searching in the water at a beach.
Yes, I had spent part of the day been looking online at new whistles!

...perhaps a sign that I should STOP??

But seriously, I don't really think WHOA is a constuctive sickness. Whistles do play differently, and when I'm playing in my basement switching whistles for different sounds, I frequently overblow my Syn, underblow my Gen tweaked Bb, and basically screw up on my Burke D.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
tegea

Post by tegea »

I'm a newbie in the whistle playing, as I began during last summer.

I don't suffer of WHOA, but I'm infected with another desease, the WHOB : Whistle Obsessive Building disorder ! :D
I've already built 2 PVC D, 1 PVC/copper D, 1 copper D, 3 aluminium D and 1 PVC/copper Bb.
The last whistle I built is always my prefered one : I play it during a few days, indentifies the pros and cons and begin to build another one trying to keep the pros and suppress the cons. Well, the results are not always the ones I was thinking of, but I learn a lot about whistle design, and it's really funny ! :P
Thierry
riverman

Post by riverman »

Tagea, sounds like we might see your name on a Google custom maker's list someday!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.