Ulleann vs Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Generally pronounced "ill'an". With pipes, as with whistles, how good or bad it sounds, is largely up to the piper.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

O'Brien wrote:Apparently, there's nothing to be afraid of- it's one of the safest instruments to play, having both an airbag and a safety belt.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

FJohnSharp wrote:How can you listen to Liam O'Flynn playing 'Cunla' and not want to play the pipes?
Because i have a guitar. Much more challenging. :P

?
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I think all the fuss about the pipes being hard to play is rubbish.

I've been playing for only a few weeks and my family already seems to think I need less and less practice.

Why, just last night I had just gotten "strapped in" and was half way through "Fig for a Kiss" when my wife said "That's the best I've ever heard. Are you going to put them away now?" I guess I'm just a natural. :D

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Of course, the main advantage to pipes is their effect on cats - after one look at what you're doing to that poor moggy and the screams it's making, they'll never dig in your garden again. Dogs on the other hand watch closely for tips and often howl with delight.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

All whistlers should have a set of pipes,........in the closet. :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Meadhbh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Meadhbh »

Just a little humor to add from the Wizard of Id.......

Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Ann wrote:I've been wondering for a long time.. How does one pronounce uilleann correctly?
I've heard lots!!
ooleeaan, ooleeen illeeaan!!

If I'm right the correct sounding is illin!

Anyone any other comments?
I'll have one!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The Salt Lake Piper's Assoc. has (ILL-uhn) on their website, just to add another variation. It seems like every pronunciation here could be right depending on how a person prounounced the last vowel. Oh, I should say I've never actually heard anyone say the word :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
riverman

Post by riverman »

A whistle will fit in your jacket pocket on a walk in the woods. Then you can pull it out and play.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Similarities...? For starters both are spelled with an I... as in uIlleann. (by the way... the way I pronounce them rhymes with "chillin'")

By and large Pipes are a whole different animal than whistles. If you have the option I would suggest having your maker set them up with a relatively easy set of reeds. They will be a bit softer and perhaps sweeter than some of the honkers that are being put out today, but most importantly, they will be easier to maneuver through the range of the instrument.

Get used to the idea that you will probably have to make your own reeds. Especially for the chanter. The fellow who made my pipes lived in Mass. at the time he built them. I live in Denver. About 20% less humidity but the difference totally affected my reeds. It felt like I was dislocating a shoulder to play the darned things. I started making my own reeds and found some basic instructions about what happens when you change a particular dimension and in a short while had a much sweeter sounding set of pipes that were easy (relative to the start... there is still a certain amount of athleticism you will put into playing these... not like breathing into a whistle) to play.

In general the upkeep and tweeking of the instrument is more like tuning a fine automobile than setting up an instrument to play. There always seems to be some little tune up or adjustment to make, but when you have a set in primo working condition... hoo... nothing else like it. A VERY rewarding instrument to say the least. Great as a solo instrument or with a group. (with some distinctions that is) So, if you're the sort who loves tinkering with things, pipes are a great outlet for that "handy" occupation. If you like being able to pick up an instrument at a moment's notice and expect it to play just a you left it, you may be in for a surprise. Even subtle changes in the weather will affect the playability of UPs.

Be aware that it will probably come with just intonation. This means that more of you notes on the chanter's scale will resonate with the drones. This also means that when not playing in the key of D, G or A (or their relative modes or minors) for the most part there will be striking intonation issues if playing with an even tempered instrument like Piano or Organ... (I'm only saying that because you mentioned that you are a praise and worship leader... right?)

Pipes are a very... "involved" instrument to play. There are lots of physical coordination hurdles to get past in the beginning. Try to minimize the headache by getting started now. If you intend to play ITM on them start listening to as many UP recordings as you can find now. When your pipes finally arrive, get with some other players as soon as possible to pick up some pointers about how to play the darned things and grab some tips and tools from them. You could even start that process in the mean time by getting involved with a local session. Look around, there may be some stuff very close to you happening on a regular basis.

Good luck... BTW, who is making your set?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

IDAwHOa wrote:
Ann wrote:the idea of playing them is intimidating.
I watched Doc Jones play a set a couple of days after getting one in. The closest thing I can say to describe it is sounding like a goose trying to fly in three different directions at the same time. :boggle: :o :oops: :lol:

His kids were all given the "opportunity" to try them. Each one, without exception described it a being strapped into some sort of ancient, midevil (emphasis on the evil!) torture device. :moreevil:
Doc! Taking a walk on the wild side!
I bet that was a fun day, though. :party:

I have to admit, I usually stay clear of CD's that feature
1: singers
2: Uilleann pipes, although Ben brought his over to the house one time, and it was kind of ok. Maybe they're better live?

M
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Scott,

Thanks for the breakdown, really insightful. I am getting the UP's for my original recording project and really don't plan to play ITM or anything outside of what I write. However saying that I thought I'd bang off a few Paddy Keenan tunes followed by a dash of Eric Rigler two of my modern hero's(ok I'll be banging me head against the pipes long before banging off any kind of tune...hehehe). I am a worship leader and when ready will use them in a live church setting but I don't see that happening for a few years. I am in no hurry will follow your council and start in advace getting prepared. Sorry bout the typo leaving out the "i" in the title, I realized it after posting but thought to leave it to show my udder/utter rookieness... :D
As far as the maker, I will find out if he minds a public statment on the matter...

WTA
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

William T. Anderson wrote:...I am getting the UP's for my original recording project and really don't plan to play ITM or anything outside of what I write...
Cool. Sounds like an interesting project. :)

Pipes can lend a very different voice to recordings that are more mainstream in nature and really create a unique niche. Be aware that too often form meets function. Uilleann Pipes not only are designed to play ITM but also helped create the style. While a fully keyed set will enable chromatic functionality over a two octave range, Other (more mainstream) instruments may be more nimble in handling the demands of more mainstream music. ( Of course I have no idea of the type of music you write, so ... pure conjecture on my part.)

I would use my pipes or a whistle at any time to play ITM, I would not use my Trombone. Similarly, I would never try to play Dixie Land jazz on any of my ITM style instruments.

That said, If you really want to get around on the Uilleann Pipes, you may be best served by studying ITM just to get the instrument "under your fingers"

P.S. Don't worry about the spelling. Ideas are most important, then details.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

O'Brien wrote:Apparently, there's nothing to be afraid of- it's one of the safest instruments to play, having both an airbag and a safety belt.
Brilliant indeed. :)