Thinking about trying flute...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Give it a try. Besides. Flutes should be cheaper than whistles anyway. They arn't much besides a hollow stick with seven holes in them. I think a lot of them grow that way to begin with.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

vomitbunny wrote:Give it a try. Besides. Flutes should be cheaper than whistles anyway. They arn't much besides a hollow stick with seven holes in them. I think a lot of them grow that way to begin with.
This is true! A whistle clearly requires far more skill and effort in the making . . . it has that complex fipple structure whereas a flute just has . . . another doggone hole.

Considering the extra effort required to play the flute, you should get a discount. A big one. :wink:
mrosenlof
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mrosenlof »

I started both around the same time. I'm primarily a flute player, but both are a lot of fun.

There is more variety of things you can do with the flute because you form the airstream with the shape of your mouth. It takes a lot of practice to do this well. It takes a lot of practice to play any instrument well.

It really comes down to what you're going to enjoy more.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

My first flute was a Tipple. He does amazing things with plumbing!

The sound is great. I had some trouble/awkwardness with the finger spacing and posiotioning but that may have been just because I was such a novice. I haven't played one for years since and probably ought to.

The flute will take a bit of effort. Be patient and focus on getting good tone before fussing with speed or ornaments. All that will come in time.

Good luck. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
ninjaaron

Post by ninjaaron »

Well, I started The whistle (low D) four months ago, and the flute about six days ago, and the flute is taking some work to learn...

BUT!! that Low D whistle was harder for me to get used to than the flute. Not that the flute is actually easier, but the whistle was my first wind instrument, and getting me fingers to actually cover the holes without squeaking was quite a trick. I do think I like the sound of the flute a touch more, but I can fly all over the place on the whistle now, and the flute takes more brain power. The soprano D is another story, of course, being that it's always easy, and always sounds great. I've actually begun to love my soprano D even more now that I'm started on the flute, and my Low D less.

That's weird, but so goes life
Everyone likes music
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

ninjaaron wrote:BUT!! that Low D whistle was harder for me to get used to than the flute. Not that the flute is actually easier, but the whistle was my first wind instrument, and getting me fingers to actually cover the holes without squeaking was quite a trick. ....
That's weird, but so goes life
Not wierd at all. I think most would agree that low whistles are harder to finger than flutes. Something about the angle I think.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Thanks to everybody for the great advice, encouragement and warnings :lol: . I just ordered a low D Tipple, and am looking forward to getting frustrated, out of breath andhaving a ball with it. Wormdiet mentioned that,
Also, I am a bottom dweller tonally. I like bassy things, so a focus on a regular whistle isn't in my personality.
and I find myself in that boat as well, being a bass singer.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

dow wrote:Thanks to everybody for the great advice, encouragement and warnings :lol: . I just ordered a low D Tipple, and am looking forward to getting frustrated, out of breath andhaving a ball with it. Wormdiet mentioned that,
Also, I am a bottom dweller tonally. I like bassy things, so a focus on a regular whistle isn't in my personality.
Oh ho! There aren't enough good bass singers.

Here's the flute you really want, then...

:D
M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

dow wrote:Thanks to everybody for the great advice, encouragement and warnings :lol: . I just ordered a low D Tipple, and am looking forward to getting frustrated, out of breath andhaving a ball with it. Wormdiet mentioned that,
If anybody is on the woodenflute mailing list, the recent discussion of the LowA/LowG flute initiated by Terry is pretty interesting (Especially for me, considering I ordered it :party: )
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

Wormdiet wrote:If anybody is on the woodenflute mailing list, the recent discussion of the LowA/LowG flute initiated by Terry is pretty interesting (Especially for me, considering I ordered it :party: )
Oh. I had been on that list a few years ago, and withdrew when I started feeling unwelcome (as a Boehm player) and otherwise was pretty beat up by a flaming bully. I thought rather than remain and feel P.O.'d, the more sane course would be to withdraw.

I've only butted heads here once or twice but to no great consequence, and generally find it much friendlier and chummy. Maybe because it's easier to stay out of threads into which I shouldn't venture because I'd start shouting. :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
dow

Post by dow »

Well, my Tipple D flute arrived on Thursday. What a great instrument! I'm having a ball with it, although it's kind of hit-and-miss on the embouchure right now. Last night, I managed a full two-octave D scale, both up and down.

Thanks for all of the advise and encouragement.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.