Susatos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Susato whistles:

love them
13%
hate them
14%
sort of love them
37%
sort of hate them
20%
other answer (explain)
15%

Total votes: 99

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

bradhurley wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I like them very much after I tweak them. They are great, but have three things wrong with them before I tweak them: They are poorly balanced (top is much louder than the bottom), they don't have a nice sound, and they are too loud overall.
I take it, then, that you tweak them by melting them down and starting over from scratch?

;-)
Hehehe. :D

No, I replace their curved blade with a flat guitar-pic blade, an operation that takes more guts than skill. It reduces volume (less air hitting the blade), gives them a (more) pleasant, wood-like sound, and improves the balance between octaves.

I just left one with Brother Steve, so you may get to try it soon. :)

/Bloomfield
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Susato is to a session what vinegar is to food. You don't want it on its own, but with the right mix there's nothing like it. If you have several fiddles and a low whistle and guitars in a session, the Susato will get you heard like few others can.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm surprised this thread has already generated two pages in what...a couple hours. :o

Whitmores75087, that's a really cool way to put it. :)
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Sorry for posting so much on this, but I just got my Susato Low G in the mail. At least for the next hour this is going to be my favorite Susato. Nice tone, good volume.

For some reason it plays better than my Low A. The finger holes are comparatively smaller than the A, for one thing. Bought it on ebay so I wonder if it's an earlier model.

Still love my Susatos.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I didn't mean surprised in a bad way, just surprised. :)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Whitmores75087 wrote:Susato is to a session what vinegar is to food. You don't want it on its own, but with the right mix there's nothing like it. If you have several fiddles and a low whistle and guitars in a session, the Susato will get you heard like few others can.
I think this attitude is part of why Susatos tend to be hated so blackly. The only time you might really want to use a very loud whistle is if the pub is very noisy (the fiddler next to you can't hear you). But just many other instruments doesn't mean you need a louder whistle. There are two problems: First off, whistles sound much louder to the listener than then do to the player. Second, if you play in a session you shouldn't really be able to hear yourself. Not standing out, anyway. Whistlers (beginners) often think that if they can't hear themselves, they are playing too softly and need to get a bigger whistle or even a Susato. If there are four or five fiddles, each fiddler doesn't hear himself/herself as apart from the blend. Of course, the whistle is an octave above everyone else, so you are bound to hear it clearly in the upper octave even when it's a Sindt or an Oak or Generation, or even something softer. Generally, you should only hear yourself stand out on the bum notes. If you need more feedback on the whistle, play slightly sideways or wear a broad-rim hat.

And I hate to say it, but I've never heard anyone listening to a session and complaining that they couldn't hear the whistle player.... ;)
/Bloomfield
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bloomfield wrote:And I hate to say it, but I've never heard anyone listening to a session and complaining that they couldn't hear the whistle player.... ;)
I hate to hear it! :lol:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think this attitude is part of why Susatos tend to be hated so blackly.
I'm not at all sure they are, in the wider world.

It's true that they don't enjoy a very good reputation on the boards, though.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

peeplj wrote:
I think this attitude is part of why Susatos tend to be hated so blackly.
I'm not at all sure they are, in the wider world.

It's true that they don't enjoy a very good reputation on the boards, though.

--James
Many people on this very forum have gone to Ireland and come back saying Susatos were played there quite frequently. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I failed to mention that the rest of the instruments have a little amplification and the Susato doesn't. With that sucker I can push the mic aside. That devil whistle only comes out when it's "my" tune and I'm expected to lead.
I know of one good band that recorded a CD and many of the tunes were destroyed by a Susato in the hands of the bandleader. Mixture of ego and musical insensitivity.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Whitmores75087 wrote: I know of one good band that recorded a CD and many of the tunes were destroyed by a Susato in the hands of the bandleader. Mixture of ego and musical insensitivity.
I reckon that particular mixture isn't healthy for a band no matter what brand of whistle they play.

--James
Lightheaded Mike

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

My friend plays one. I hate being on the player end of a Susato, it really does hurt my ears when I lean into it, I can't hear anyone else, and it seems to need a lot of push to keep the tone clean.(My usual whistle is a pretty quiet Feadog Mark I.)
I like being on the listening end, though, after the sound has mellowed a bit across a few feet. The attack chiff is really nice.
The above note about CD recordings reminds me of one that I own. Susato duet leading a setting of Johnny Harling's. Aggressive and bloody marvelous.
Cheers, Mike
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

they're wonderful if you like 6 hole diatonic renaissance recorders made of plastic.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

I have a Susato C D Eb set, which I don't like. But my dogs absolutely hate it when I play them and want to get out of the room. They like my Burke narrow bore D and my Chieftain Low D better.
:) Rini
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I have 4 susato's 1 wide and 1 narrow bore D
A Low A and A Low G
Hell i quite like em,
the D's have their place in a session, especially when you have a 5 string banjo on one side of you and a hyperactive bodhran / largerphone player on the other, 4 guitars, 2 fiddlers and 2 boxes to compete against,
just depends on the blend of instruments what whistle is appropriate,
for example
in small sessions a clarke is quite adequate
I will always take my susato to a gig, just in case of equipment failure and we have to go without amps, it has enough sound to keep the night happening,
Regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!