OT - Help me choose a new wristwatch? :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:I've checked the altimeter of my Casio against a mountain of known elevation in the Adirondacks, and it was right on the money.
My Suunto also does a good job when the weather is stable and, to be honest, if the barometric pressure is changing rapidly enough to throw the altimeter off, I'm more concerned with getting back to the trailhead quickly than I am with altitude accuracy. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

I bought a watch on eBay with a waving Chairman Mao on the face. It's a great conversation starter.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks jsluder and glauber for the tips. I want a watch with all the bells and whistles. Now if I can find one that can make coffee I'll consider my life a success.

I found a Nike ACG Ascent compass watch with all the b&w. It's not as pretty as I had hoped. 200 bucks.

The Suunto Altimax has the same basic features and also keeps 4 days worth of barometer readings. It also shows you local time and home time.
Same price and looks better.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TomB »

bradhurley wrote:
TomB wrote:
Do you have a chain on the watch / pocket, also?
Nah, chains are for mafiosos ;-)

I use a thin leather strap. L.L. Bean used to sell these for years, up until the 1980s or so. I don't think you can get them there anymore, so I had a cobbler make mine, it cost about $5.

Hmm, I guess I'm not as up on my Mafioso dress protocol as I should be!

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:boggle: Soooooo... many watches.... sooooo confused..... head... going... to... burst! (*splat*)

Really, I had no idea that watches could even do half of all that. Wish I could actually be of practical help, but I've spent most of my life watchless so....

Happy watch hunting!

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
turtleneck

Post by turtleneck »

How about a casio g-shock watch?
http://www.gshock.com/
its solar powered and automatically synchs up with an atomic clock several times a day to make sure its always got the correct time.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

O'Brien wrote:I bought a watch on eBay with a waving Chairman Mao on the face. It's a great conversation starter.
Do you have a picture, please? I would love to see that.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I found it!

There's a few for sale right now (search for "Chairman Mao watch").
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

time for a" my guinness my goodness" watch :P http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6138115590

here's the ladies version
http://www.irishop.com/sgc-2531-sgc-2531.html
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Glauber, it's hard to believe that this thing really exists.:boggle:
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Apparently, they were originally made as rewards for soldiers in the People's Army. A lot of them now are knock-offs.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

O'Brien wrote:I bought a watch on eBay with a waving Chairman Mao on the face. It's a great conversation starter.
I know of places in this country where it would not be in the owner's best interest to flash a watch like that. But a Mickey Mouse watch would be a different story.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
pearl grey

Post by pearl grey »

Is there a watch that tells the relative humidity? One with a thermometer would be cool too, but I guess it would be reading your own outer body temperature and not the room temperature. I work in a place where we're supposed to have good climate control, but it's not very reliable. We're always sitting at our desks saying, "It feels more humid to me now." "No, it's just because it's colder that it feels more humid." until someone finally goes across the room to look at the thermo-hygrometer.