So ... who's getting a whistle for Christmas?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

michael_coleman wrote:someone ...
Sure, that helps a lot!!! :roll:

:lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Les Cruttenden

Christmas present

Post by Les Cruttenden »

I started whistling....at 65...about three weeks ago and bought an Overton low D..shortly followed by a Susato high D....My wife has just bought me a Chieftan low alto F...arrived today...blew it twice and now it has to go under the tree!!!!would have thought I had learned patience by my age. I just hope I live ling enough to learn how to play them properly! Roll on Christmas...It's my birthday on the 27th , two days later....em ..I wonder! Les.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Christmas present

Post by IDAwHOa »

Les Cruttenden wrote:I started whistling....at 65...about three weeks ago and bought an Overton low D..shortly followed by a Susato high D....My wife has just bought me a Chieftan low alto F...arrived today...blew it twice and now it has to go under the tree!!!!would have thought I had learned patience by my age. I just hope I live ling enough to learn how to play them properly! Roll on Christmas...It's my birthday on the 27th , two days later....em ..I wonder! Les.
Congratulations on all accounts!! Welcome to the forum too.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I was hoping to get a bright and shiny Bloomfield tweaked for Christmas this year, but I guess it's just not meant to be . . . *sigh*.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
LisaD

Re: Christmas present

Post by LisaD »

Les Cruttenden wrote:....My wife has just bought me a Chieftan low alto F...arrived today...blew it twice and now it has to go under the tree!!!!
arrrrgggh ... the agony! :o My Humphreys are not going under the tree. You have more patience than me. :)

How are you liking your Overton low D? I loved mine except that I bought it to play with a band and it took too long to warm up to the correct pitch when the moment came to play it. Wonderful on its own, though.

Lisa
tjs

Post by tjs »

Got Lucky! A Burke brass Bb and a Tipple low D flute will be under the tree. Know nothing about playing a flute, but again, I knew nothing about playing a whistle. Simply enjoy music.

tom
tjs
Lost-in-North-Dakota

Post by Lost-in-North-Dakota »

I am certain that I am getting my first whistle as a Christmas gift (that's why I don't have one now). I told my wife and daughter to get me a D whistle, any major brand is OK. I notice that the local music store has the original Clarke and Generation (I think), so either should serve as a good starting point.

I will probably also make a low D whistle, using Dennis Havlena's plans, during some time off between Christmas and New Year's.

I had my heart set on being a professional flutophonist, but the high-grade wood flutophones are out of my price range, so a tin whistle it is!!!

Lost
whistlerroberto

Post by whistlerroberto »

I'll be gietting a generation b-flat, courtesy of my dad. I can get it now, but I have to wait probably till the 18th, when I will be at a session, so that I can pick it up at the studio. I'm eager to get it, as there are some songs that didn't sound that great on my whistles, and I see now that they were in the key of b. All my my whistles (3 whistles, and tibetian and a chinese flute), are in the key of d.

Whistlerroberto
Cal

Post by Cal »

As a beginner, I'm not expecting anything exotic. I dropped hints for a Shaw D, which duly arrived but has only had a quick test before being extracted. I'm also hoping on a Clarke C, which will be my first foray into other keys (currently playing a Jerry tweaked Sweetone and a Feadog).

Still getting excited...not sure my father will be though, as he's visiting us for a week over Xmas.

Cheers
Cal