A different kind of "Tutorial"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

oleorezinator wrote:session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
But surely you tried things out in private before launching yourself upon an unsuspecting world, Oleo?

Gary, great link, thanks. Anything that helps people to play music in a group environment, whether live or alongside virtual musicians, is to be applauded.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I'm still trying to get my head round the idea of session lichen. :boggle: At least it's something for us dieters to do while the rest of the session are eating the free hot sausage rolls. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Martin Milner wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:session lichen. as with sex i prefer mine live. oh well, whatever blows your whistle.
But surely you tried things out in private before launching yourself upon an unsuspecting world, Oleo?
I'm sure, like many, Oleo had years of solo practice (quite possibly with the use of practical learning tools) before "going live". :oops:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

quick question for all ye merry Mac owners (of which I am as well). If the system requirements said this:
Power Mac running OS 8.6 to 9.2 66mb Ram
Does it mean that if I am running OS X that I can't use this program? I know that this is more than likely blatantly obvious, but I'm just checking anyway. TIA! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Most likely, if you have a newish Mac, running X.whatever, when you launch a program such as that one, it will open the "classic" desktop. OS X generally includes provisions to run OS 9 programs, and it will tell you that it's "now launching the classic environment."
I think that whole deal is a pain in the rear, but I guess it's better than being completely shut out.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

emmline wrote:Most likely, if you have a newish Mac, running X.whatever, when you launch a program such as that one, it will open the "classic" desktop. OS X generally includes provisions to run OS 9 programs, and it will tell you that it's "now launching the classic environment."
I think that whole deal is a pain in the rear, but I guess it's better than being completely shut out.
That is good to know since I have a new G5 iMac on the way!!!! Macs are usually pretty good about backward compatibility. I do have an older power mac on system 8.somethingorother (8.1 I think).
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

GaryKelly wrote:Note to our US friends... the DVD is in PAL format, which'll be fine on PCs fitted with DVD rom drives but I can't see an NTSC version on their website.
I'm glad you mentioned this. It slipped my mind. At least it's Region 0 so US DVD players will play
it without having to be hacked...
Maybe those of us in the US and Japan should petition for an NTSC version.
Oh well, I'd probably only use it up in my computer room anyway, that's where I keep my instruments...
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

NorCalMusician wrote:That is good to know since I have a new G5 iMac on the way!!!!
GASP!! Do you really???? Wish I had a new G5 coming.... :( Sheesh, will it never end??? First WhOA, and now Mac envy. SIGH..... :roll:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:Most likely, if you have a newish Mac, running X.whatever, when you launch a program such as that one, it will open the "classic" desktop. OS X generally includes provisions to run OS 9 programs, and it will tell you that it's "now launching the classic environment."
Thanks Em...if I had thought a bit about this, I would have figured it out. The classic environment opens when I use Adobe Photoshop too. It's just much easier to ask than to actually take the time to think :wink:
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

for many years i played irish music by myself because there was absolutely no interest at all around where i live. travelling 2 and 3 hours for lessons and/or sessions was the rule. i play uilleann pipes so i made sure that i could play before i started playing at the sessions i could attend. it took years of seeking other players in my area before any sessions were going with the handful of musicians that play irish music here currently. the turntable, cassette machine were the only local session for many years. no players in swindon gary? musical isolation i understand. good luck in finding other like minded people. my comment by the way was meant in jest. lighten up folks.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

oleorezinator wrote: my comment by the way was meant in jest. lighten up folks.
Ah, the ol' expressionless text syndrome. Maybe a smilie or three would have helped lessen the tension?

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

[jest] insert quip here [/jest]

There are HTML tags for that, too.

Best wishes,
Jerry
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

I just got ma copy from Phill, wow its realy quite good. 8) I wish this had been around when I started learning to play whistle as it would have made things awhole lot easyer :) but then even if it had been I would not have been able to use it as then there wastn't windows 95 even :lol:
For all yous that are at the begining years, its a must, and for all the closet whistlers this is for you. get yours from Phill at
http://www.bigwhistle.com
You wont be sorry :wink:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
DarnTootin

Post by DarnTootin »

fearfaoin wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Note to our US friends... the DVD is in PAL format, which'll be fine on PCs fitted with DVD rom drives but I can't see an NTSC version on their website.
I'm glad you mentioned this. It slipped my mind. At least it's Region 0 so US DVD players will play
it without having to be hacked...
Maybe those of us in the US and Japan should petition for an NTSC version.
Oh well, I'd probably only use it up in my computer room anyway, that's where I keep my instruments...

Hmm. I don't own a regular DVD player, and don't understand the ramifications of the PAL format. I usually play DVDs on my laptop, which also is where I usually play my whistle. So PAL format does play in American computer DVD drives, or it doesn't?

The DVD sounds great, tho pricey for me. I've played along with the BBC Virtual Session thing and, while for the most part I still can't keep up with the speed (still a newbie), I've really enjoyed playing with the slow ones, and learn a lot from listening to the others.

Thx!
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

DarnTootin wrote: Hmm. I don't own a regular DVD player, and don't understand the ramifications of the PAL format. I usually play DVDs on my laptop, which also is where I usually play my whistle. So PAL format does play in American computer DVD drives, or it doesn't?
Thx!
It SHOULD play on your computer DVD player. They have more capabilities than Home Entertainment systems do. HE systems are soley intended to play movies, mostly. Some have more formats programmed in.

Computer systems can be updated with software and so they can do more.