Sweetheart whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Have an old walnot D with that sort of tulip shape - very pretty, but I don't play it much. Also have the blackwood Kilhoury model C, which is beautiful and is a nice playing C.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

thank you all for the insights. I did have some concerns about the mouthpiece...it does look rather large. But I think I can get used to that part of it. It seems that the general consensus is that it does have a nice sound. So now I have to add it to my Christmas list....along with the plethora of other whistles I want. SIGH!!! Will this dangnabbit WhOA ever subside??? :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

izzarina wrote:SIGH!!! Will this dangnabbit WhOA ever subside??? :P
My understanding is that it starts to fade within a year of one's death. :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Darwin wrote:
izzarina wrote:SIGH!!! Will this dangnabbit WhOA ever subside??? :P
My understanding is that it starts to fade within a year of one's death. :D
Only to be transferred to whoever inherited all of your whistles!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Heather, I feel compelled to comment again. Whenever I play a whistle, I look at my daughter's face for a reaction. This whistle is REALLY loud in the top half of the upper octave. I don't find it baby-friendly.
~JessieD
DRC

Post by DRC »

JessieK wrote:Heather, I feel compelled to comment again. Whenever I play a whistle, I look at my daughter's face for a reaction. This whistle is REALLY loud in the top half of the upper octave. I don't find it baby-friendly.
No, this is definitely NOT a baby-friendly whistle, even if Ralph can find you one like mine that's a bit "quieter" than his norm. To me, the Pro D has a specific place among whistles...that of filling the needs of a player who does a lot of outdoor gigs, or participates in large sessions, or just likes very loud whistles and enjoys annoying their spouse, neighbors, or pets...especially if they don't play well (oh, the humanity!). If you do sessions, you'd better know the tunes and play well, because you WILL be heard. I got mine for the specific purpose of playing festivals and other outdoor events. The only place where I practice with the Pro D is upstairs in my office with the door shut. As Jessie said, it's pretty loud in the upper half of the second octave because it takes a bit more of a push to get there.

DC
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

DRC wrote:
JessieK wrote:Heather, I feel compelled to comment again. Whenever I play a whistle, I look at my daughter's face for a reaction. This whistle is REALLY loud in the top half of the upper octave. I don't find it baby-friendly.
No, this is definitely NOT a baby-friendly whistle, even if Ralph can find you one like mine that's a bit "quieter" than his norm. To me, the Pro D has a specific place among whistles...that of filling the needs of a player who does a lot of outdoor gigs, or participates in large sessions, or just likes very loud whistles and enjoys annoying their spouse, neighbors, or pets...especially if they don't play well (oh, the humanity!). If you do sessions, you'd better know the tunes and play well, because you WILL be heard. I got mine for the specific purpose of playing festivals and other outdoor events. The only place where I practice with the Pro D is upstairs in my office with the door shut. As Jessie said, it's pretty loud in the upper half of the second octave because it takes a bit more of a push to get there.

DC
I second that. It's a great whistle, and sounds wonderful compared to other high-volume whistles I've played, but it is definitely loud. I got mine specifically for playing for Morris and for other outdoor gigs. I do play it indoors from time to time, because I like the way it sounds, but it's not the one I reach for when the family is sleeping.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!