An odd thought about the moderators.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: An odd thought about the moderators.

Post by amar »

Walden wrote:This thought just occurred to me.

The moderators are Rich, Alan, and Dale.

Wasn't Alan-a-Dale a character in the ballads of Robin Hood, the guy who stole from the Rich to give to the poor?

so...walden...you think this is a coincedence..don't you....it is what all should think..
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Montana wrote:
glauber wrote:Another piece of useless trivia: the music for the song "Men in Tights" appeared before in Mel Brook's "History of the World Part I", as the theme for the movie "Jews in Space". :)
Wow! I think with this piece of trivia, Glauber rivals Walden for the award of having too much time on their hands. :)
I just happened to see the end of History of the World on TV last saturday. "The Inquisition! What a show!" :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

PhilO wrote:
glauber wrote:There was only one decent Robin Hood movie:

The only one where Robin actually has a Brittish accent! :lol:
One of my daughter's all-time favorites (along with Where's Bob? with Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray). :)

PhilO
Actually, the movie with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss is "What About Bob?" FUNNY!

But RH:MIT is one of my top 10, right up there with "Princess Bride."
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

fiddling_tenor wrote: But RH:MIT is one of my top 10, right up there with "Princess Bride."
Inconceivable!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
glauber

Post by glauber »

GaryKelly wrote:Inconceivable!
"You keep saying that word. I don't think it means what you think it means!" :)

Gosh what other movie can people recite almost entirely verbatim by heart? The book is even better than the movie, IMHO, although it's a little bit more on the bitter side of sweet.
--Wellsprings--
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

glauber wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Inconceivable!
"You keep saying that word. I don't think it means what you think it means!" :)

Gosh what other movie can people recite almost entirely verbatim by heart? The book is even better than the movie, IMHO, although it's a little bit more on the bitter side of sweet.
I agree! So much more: The Zoo of Daeth is so much better than the Pit of Despair! But Billy Crystall was great as Miracle Max.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

The Princess Bride is repeated family gathering for our house. My wife, my 21 year old punk rock daughter, my 19 year old hip-hop daughter, and I lounge around every few months consuming great quantities of popcorn and reliving this fantasy.

My favorite Robin Hood is the BBC TV Series, Robin of Sherwood that ran in the 80's. Michael Praed as Robin with Clannad doing the score worked togeather with an edition, that for me had just the right amount of mist and legend.

Another movie, that has joined the Princess in legendary middle ages, is A Knights Tale with Heath Ledger as Sir William/Sir Ulrich and Paul Bettany of Geoffry Chaucer. Between its great score of classics (Classic Rock), Wat's threats to "Fong" Chauser, and Will's recieving Jocelyns token (by way of Wat), it has become another family retreat from the mundane.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
lddulcimer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lddulcimer »

glauber wrote:Gosh what other movie can people recite almost entirely verbatim by heart?
We are the Knights who say... NI.
glauber

Post by glauber »

lddulcimer wrote:
glauber wrote:Gosh what other movie can people recite almost entirely verbatim by heart?
We are the keeprs of the sacred words: ni, peng and ni-won!!!
--Wellsprings--
markv

Post by markv »

LeeMarsh wrote:The Princess Bride is repeated family gathering for our house. My wife, my 21 year old punk rock daughter, my 19 year old hip-hop daughter, and I lounge around every few months consuming great quantities of popcorn and reliving this fantasy.

My favorite Robin Hood is the BBC TV Series, Robin of Sherwood that ran in the 80's. Michael Praed as Robin with Clannad doing the score worked togeather with an edition, that for me had just the right amount of mist and legend.

Another movie, that has joined the Princess in legendary middle ages, is A Knights Tale with Heath Ledger as Sir William/Sir Ulrich and Paul Bettany of Geoffry Chaucer. Between its great score of classics (Classic Rock), Wat's threats to "Fong" Chauser, and Will's recieving Jocelyns token (by way of Wat), it has become another family retreat from the mundane.
The BBC TV series was my favorite as well. Like you said, just the right amount of mist and legend. It actually aged pretty well too. I have a good part of the series on tape but it is in pretty sad shape. I wish they would put it out on DVD.

I would part ways though on Knights Tale. My wife and I sat through it hoping it would get better but it just kept getting worse. I'd rather mow the lawn in August than watch that movie again. I've got a big lawn and in August it can get upwards of 105 with 99% humidity hereabouts.

Mark V
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

glauber wrote:
lddulcimer wrote:
We are the keeprs of the sacred words: ni, peng and ni-won!!!
Where's a holy hand grenade when you need one?
:D

RH:MIT was my husband's and my first date. Man, we both just about died!

Caroline
emmline

Post by emmline »

lddulcimer wrote:
Depends on your generation. My 14 year old can, in perfect accent and with musical riffs, recite most dialogue from both Pirates of the Caribbean and the new live action Peter Pan.