Whistling gypsy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Wombly:
Glad you're listening as I wanted to relate something that happened at the concert.

The first half was a pretty good slug of music as Bireli is a phenom, so it could be considered a whole show in itself.

The haidouks came out for second half and blazed away. To me, as a lifelong musician, it was truly a festival of melody, harmony, rhythms, etc. The other Weekender loved it too.

BUT, for only about the second time in my life that I can remember, at least 25% of the audience left between midway and the end. My personal theory is they just couldn't take it, it was too overwhelming. You can't say it was boring, but strange to many ears yes. Also, perhaps some came for the jazz of Bireli. And to be fair, it was a Sunday night and a long concert. Pricey tix though so presumably you had to want to be there.

But it was unfathomable for me, as a music lover, to walk away from these guys.

This was your seeming well-heeled open-minded Berkeley crowd (and quite used to eclectic performers in the Cal Performances series) and yet they left! Those who stayed gave em a standing ovation etc etc and actually about five players snuck back onstage for an unplanned encore after about half of the crowd had left the seating. Those remaining, including us, rushed downfront to get closer and people were clapping and dancing etc etc.

My attitude is that I have never heard anything like them and don't expect to again really, except on records or returning to another concert. I was in complete awe of all of them. I don't say that very often about anyone.

Twas interesting.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Sounds like a great concert, Weekender! Invite me next time...

J.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ya know, they might down in your neck of the woods, J. Check the Stanford programs etc for "Bireli LeGrene" or "Tarafs des Haidouks."
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Thanks for sharing that, Weeks. It's an interesting but slightly disturbing story.

I suppose there's no way you can be indifferent to the Taraf de Haidouks. Their sound is dissonant—those ancient scales against those compromise-tuned rhythm instruments. Also, they are really in-your-face. The music doesn't just lap over you until you start to get the point; it hits you with all the directness of a head butt. Perhaps that was just too much for some people with no prior exposure.

Over a year on and I'm still kicking myself for missing them. It's not as though I didn't know either. A friend who I'd introduced to the band a few years earlier emailed me maybe 6 weeks in advance suggesting we make a night of it. Immediately I thought that was great idea but I was just beginning to write the draft of a book and I just lost track of her suggestion. When I write seriously I get obsessive. 6 weeks on I was chatting with friends in a record shop in Sydney. One of them said how good the Taraf had been and I realised that I'd not only missed them, I hadn't even replied to my friend's email. Oh well, it's a pity but I can't write well any other way.
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

Tarafs des Haidouks appear in one of my favourite films, Latcho Drom.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107376/

It is a wonderful film.

Mukade
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Wombat wrote:Thanks for sharing that, Weeks. It's an interesting but slightly disturbing story.

I suppose there's no way you can be indifferent to the Taraf de Haidouks. Their sound is dissonant—those ancient scales against those compromise-tuned rhythm instruments. Also, they are really in-your-face. The music doesn't just lap over you until you start to get the point; it hits you with all the directness of a head butt. Perhaps that was just too much for some people with no prior exposure.

Over a year on and I'm still kicking myself for missing them. It's not as though I didn't know either. A friend who I'd introduced to the band a few years earlier emailed me maybe 6 weeks in advance suggesting we make a night of it. Immediately I thought that was great idea but I was just beginning to write the draft of a book and I just lost track of her suggestion. When I write seriously I get obsessive. 6 weeks on I was chatting with friends in a record shop in Sydney. One of them said how good the Taraf had been and I realised that I'd not only missed them, I hadn't even replied to my friend's email. Oh well, it's a pity but I can't write well any other way.
That was my guess too, Wombly. Just too much. But really, I can't say I heard much dissonance. Instead, they go from temporary keys and scales on to new ones at blazing speed, as you say, in your face. The best metaphor I can come up with is like whirling dervishes, but who rarely touch the actual ground (the ground being recognizable keys and harmonic sequences).

As for second thing, you know, I miss great acts nearly every week here in the Bay Area, so don't feel too bad. For months, I knew that Toots Thielemans was coming to Yoshi's and they even have a Sunday matinee where kids get in for only $5, as my son loves jazz. Well, I hesitated, we went down to the show but it was sold out. My bad. I have heard the guy on TV and radio for years but have yet to see him and he is getting no younger, ya know? He plays here once or twice a year and is a legend in every way. Everybody comes through the Bay Area and although ticket price is a legitimate barrier, I don't know what the hell I am doing missing the shows....The Haidouks came here last year (which I missed) and even after all your guys' endorsements, I didn't get my tickets until last Friday afternoon for this show. Consequently, we had some pretty poor seats yet still paid $30 apiece for 'em....

I have a busy life too with major projects and activities but I kick myself for forgetting how transformative a live musical experience can be. On the flip side, I sure appreciate the few I do attend!! For all I know, the people who left are season ticket holders (there are many in Cal Performances) and face an annual bouquet of well-picked eclectic musical acts.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Yeah, Muk, I have seen that movie. It's great. I have a lot more personal experience with Spanish gypsies here in the SF Bay Area, than the Romany kind, in terms of music as I used to manage a music store that sold classical and flamenco guitars. I think its interesting that the singing style in itself is similar though the harmonies and progressions are different between the two. It's also interesting that both groups possess guitar virtuosity, the flamencos in their music and the Roma in the jazz style. Tarafs didn't use guitar at all for this show anyway.

The Rom kind are around here though. We had a guy who was considered the "king of the gypsies" in San Pablo, the nearest town to my house. There are substantial numbers of them in San Pablo and Vallejo (another town on the SF Bay).This was about 10 or 12 years ago when he passed away and gypsies came from all over for the funeral. Authorities were notified...