OT: DirecTv--Should Dale make the switch?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

madguy wrote:
Also, why more than ten channels? Easy... The Animal Planet, Discovery, TV Food Network, and on and on!

~Larry
Well, right, the science/animal/arts channels were the only reason we had the digital cable, but there was no way that watching something on one of those channels could justify the more than $50/month -- $600-something per year! -- that it costs to get them. Hiking and seeing *real* animals engaging in *real* behavior is cheaper and better than watching staged documentaries or Animal Bloopers. So paying that much money for the five or so channels of interest it provided, well, the ROI wasn't up to snuff. I could have half an Olwell flute for what cable was costing each year!

TV Food Network sounds scary.

Kill (or maim) your TV! Viva la revolucion! (Viva, not TiVo . . .)
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

finkelsj wrote:The problem I have is that's around $600 a year. Let's see, that's about 6 Burke's or maybe 20 tweaked Shaw's or 10 Shaw's and 20 Generations. Maybe even 3 Burke's and 30 books, which would occupy me for the year.

I don't think going without TV is for everyone, but based on what folks have told me it still sucks. Oh yeah, I design networks that support cable modems, cable TV and cable telephones for a living and used to work in satellite signal distribution. So it's not like I know anything about it :)
Actually, I agree with you. I was answering assuming that Dale really wants more than the basic channels, and thinks they're of value to him, but I have to admit: even though I work in the industry, and the cable runs right to our house, we've never bothered to have it hooked up. Rabbit ears at both sets get us the local news - VCR and DVD player give us movies.

It's amazing how many folks I know who work on the engineering end don't bother getting the service themselves. Though I think HDTV is going to be worth it - movies look awesome on a high-resolution 16:9 display.

I see I also should have allowed for satellite TV's weather issues (though that's much more a northern problem - he may get lots of rain, but I doubt if Dale's going to get lots of blizzards or ice storms, which can really affect a dish).

And one other thing I should mention, which often surprises folks new to digital TV: it takes a noticable fraction of a second to change channels, because of the way digital TV encodes the data.

(I could put a mini-lecture on MPEG encoding and I-, B-, and P- frames here - essentially, a complete reference frame is sent only a few times a second - the rest of the time, partial frames with changes from the reference are sent. And you need at least one complete reference frame before you decode the image.)
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The money that you put into watching tv would be much better used to put in your savings account for the set of uilleann pipes that you have been thinking about....... :twisted:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

fancypiper wrote:The money that you put into watching tv would be much better used to put in your savings account for the set of uilleann pipes that you have been thinking about....... :twisted:
You may regret that suggestion - this is Dale we're talking about.

Pipes are in much shorter supply than whistles - and if Dale gets UPOA, he may end up totally consuming the current output. How many years did you want to wait for that set? :twisted:
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I had direct TV for almost two years. I went to W*llmart and bought the dual receivers and dish and installed it myself. Had it set up in an afternoon and then phoned in for a connection. There's no annual commitment that way, since I bought my own equipment from a third party. I got very clear reception except in the middle of the worst of storms. You get about a zillion channels but, like cable, only a handful of them are anything you'd care about (just how many shopping channels does one need, for cryin' out loud).

Then I moved and, before I got around to picking up a new dish to replace the one I left on the roof of the old house, I found out I could get cable modem at my new home. So, I cancelled my Direct TV subscription and got cable. That was two years ago and I'm still fighting their billing department! First, they didn't turn the thing off when I told them to, they kept sending me bills. Finally, I quit paying the bills until they cut me off. Then, to protect my credit rating I paid that final bill but with payment explicitly demanded that they not reconnect me. They immediately reconnected (I guess, I didn't have a dish on the roof the whole time after the move) and started billing me again. I refused to pay that bill and thought I'd finally gotten it through their heads as I hadn't heard anything from them in months when just last week I got another bill from them!

So, it's a heck of a lot easier to unsubscribe than it is to subscribe!
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have cable but only the 1st tier of programming. This gets me just about everything I could ever want. I need the cable subscription in order to get high speed internet. In my area DSL is not available. The quality is excellent and it is only rarely out. My daughter in Cincinnati has one of the satellite systems. When I go there it takes me a little while to figure out what has to be turned on to get the stupid thing to work. Then only a little while longer to learn how to find what I want to watch. They love it though because it has about a bazillion channels and each member of the family can make a custom preferred channel list. It works very well and rarely goes out. My son-in-law installed it himself which says loads about how easy it is to install. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Ron
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

When I got a big fat raise last February I sprung for DirecTV. I'm down in a little holler and get poor reception on a few stations south and no reception on the closer stations to the north. If I want to use my cell phone I have to go upstairs and I still might not get a signal.

The guy came out on a Sunday to install the dish, to my great surprise. I just got the very basic package plus the "local" stations to the north, but it's a nice variety and I haven't been tempted to sign up for the premium channels.

However, if cable ever came out my way, I'd snap that up for the modem speed. Oh yeah, I can't get DSL either.

I understand the impulse to just turn the blasted thing off, but if Dale wants to watch TV (or to subsidize his family's viewing habits), then why not?

My own favorite toy is the VCR. I record old Law & Order shows I haven't seen before and them watch them when I get on the treadmill in the mornings. Fast forward through commercials and you've got a nice 45-minute workout.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg