Session Etiquette

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
U2
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by U2 »

TXwhistle wrote:Mmm...I haven't posted on session.org (I only registered there about two days ago), but I'm glad to know about the sessions at Klusoz. I've been there a few times to watch my old friend Susan play with her band. I'm working Friday nights for the next few weeks, but maybe I could make one of the Saturday sessions. Thanks Steve!
Hmm. I dunno. My ESP doesn't usually work that well, so I must be confused. Anyway, the point is that you're welcome at the session. Folks have given you some pretty darn good advice regarding etiquette, and we practice it. Focused observation seems to work really well. The fact that you are aware there are a few protocols will take you far.

Susan was almost always gracious enough to invite me up on songs. Particularly enjoyed playing with them on "Ahead of Time." Gary and the rest of the band were pretty enthusiastic.

The Saturday slow sessions are one block east of University Ave on 16th St. at the Canterbury Center (south side of the street), 4 pm. One or two of us will often show at 3 pm to play for the dance class, same place. If you would like a contact phone number, drop me a note off-list and you got it. I think Suze will vouch for me. :)
McHaffie
antispam: No

Weirness from the Midwest... :)

Post by McHaffie »

Well (ya, I know, deep subject...) here in the center of the wierd midwest our itty-bitty hoolie / jam session must be sort of different. We just "go around the group" that shows up, whether we have 5 or 20 show up (yep, we've never had more than 20 at once, normally no more than 10).

So, basically it doesn't matter who you are here, everyone just calls out a song or tune at some point. If somebody / nobody else knows it, everyone just chords along and highlights here and there. Works out rather well. We're up to about 10 regulars now and 15 or so at mid month, and we're all learning new stuff from eachother and putting it down in eachothers tune/songlists, so next week we have even more cool stuff to play around or practice up with.

I like it, and everyone at the hoolie seems to like it. And since I'm the one that started the hoolie, I insist that it's on open hoolie and that's the way it goes so that's that then now isn't it? :lol:

I would agree on not just jumpin into the middle of a song out of politeness and respect for others, other than that, I would think simply asking to sit in shouldn't be big deal as long as you feel confident about it.

One hilarious event that reocurrs is everyone wants me to keep playing Rolling In the Ryegrass and we can all do it together and it sounds great at a reasonable pace, but when I play it up to speed like they want me to everyone still gets way off after a bit... The drummer will pause when she misses a beat, and when she comes back in shes way slow or fast and I'm bad to drop into it. I still gotta learn to force myself to tune out the rest of the band when necessary!

It's awesome! We're a bunch of learners with a majority of professinal players that play with local folk bands and stage performers. How lucky am I? What a deal.

Ok, I'll shut up now. :D

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
TXwhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

U2 wrote:Hmm. I dunno. My ESP doesn't usually work that well, so I must be confused.
Maybe your ESP is working...maybe I WILL post on the session.org board. (insert spooky music here)
skh

Post by skh »

Tyghress wrote:The lady who brought the alto recorder last week showed up with a concert flute this week(...) But in our session unless you're REALLY obnoxious, no one is going to say anything. And she isn't obnoxious, just clueless.
Hm - is this meant to be general niceness, or do people just not care about clueless people? I imagine that woman sitting down elswhere with Irish musicians, and being told the story of the lady in Neighbourtown with the recorder and Boehm flute, who's sooooo clueless but just doesn't notice anything around her, but the session regulars don't tell her because that wouldn't be nice.... and slowly realising that they are talking about her. That would be cruel.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

skh wrote:
Tyghress wrote:The lady who brought the alto recorder last week showed up with a concert flute this week(...) But in our session unless you're REALLY obnoxious, no one is going to say anything. And she isn't obnoxious, just clueless.
Hm - is this meant to be general niceness, or do people just not care about clueless people? I imagine that woman sitting down elswhere with Irish musicians, and being told the story of the lady in Neighbourtown with the recorder and Boehm flute, who's sooooo clueless but just doesn't notice anything around her, but the session regulars don't tell her because that wouldn't be nice.... and slowly realising that they are talking about her. That would be cruel.

Sonja
Well, I'd say that it should be her duty to ask and check about session etiquettes before invading a session. It's the same when you visit other cultures, the right thing to do is to inform yourself about what's right and what's wrong in that other culture, and try to adapt.

So, for people who lack the desire to learn about their environment before trying to shape it, like the lady in the example, I don't see anything cruel about what you described. They really brought it upon themselves.
skh

Post by skh »

Well, I don't see anything wrong with telling them that they are disturbing the session, and to please either listen and behave, or leave. No need to let anybody feel welcome when they aren't.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I guess telling them without hurting/angering them requires skills that only few of us possess, it's no easy task...
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Azalin wrote:I guess telling them without hurting/angering them requires skills that only few of us possess, it's no easy task...
This is so, Azalin. . .I appreciate what skh is saying, but I certainly am not going to be the one to tell this lady. After all, I started with a recorder, I learned 75% of what I know there at session, and the session is 'advertised' as open to all levels. I am not going to go anywhere near calling the kettle black.

The good thing about having rank beginners, and the clueless, and the musically inept, is that it trains you to listen to what's important and ignore superfluous sounds. A bomb could go off and it wouldn't shake our leaders. . .(and a 'bomb' in the form of an air horn DOES go off without warning when the bartenders get a megatip, or the hometeam scores on TV, or such).
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe