Low D reach issue

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
msheldon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by msheldon »

As has been mentioned, keywork adds considerably to the price of an instrument. What was not mentioned is that it's not a one-time cost.

Talk to a flute player some time about key adjustments and re-padding... Wait, on second thought, don't. You probably don't really want to hear a three-hour rant and wail about the cost of tune-ups and repaddings. :)

The spacing between the 5th and 6th holes are further aggravated by the distance your right hand is from you, and the resulting angle on your wrist. (I can fingertip a bass-Bb, but my wrist gets sore pretty quickly.) This is why Irish flutes, with essentially the same hole spacing as a low-D whistle, can actually be easier for those with small hands. On a flute, the wrist is almost straight, giving it a much easier angle.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

Well, I'll tell ya, and I'm sure I've stated it here on the board before at some point.... My hands are pretty small, and I'm only just now getting my hands stretched out enough after giving in and practicing on my pipers grip.

What I used to do, rather efficiently I might add, was skip my ring fingers and use my pinkys as my third finger. Surprisingly I had almost zero difficulty 'transposing' my fingering so to speak, it just laid in naturally, and I have no trouble switching back and forth either. VERY VERY comfortable grip. Extremely.

Reason for going ahead and learning to play with a pipers grip and proper first 3 fingers??? Can't QUITE get the same speed and still stay crisp and precise using the above method. So there you have it. Great for medium speed jigs and reels down to slow aires, but to really get with it I'm having to switch off.

Just an idea for someone. Might even be able to master the technique better than I did (wouldn't be difficult :D ) and get it up to speed and precision (sp?) and the whole bit.

Take care,
John

P.S. Oh yeah, it was still a 'pipers style' grip, but it lays your hands straight in line and comfy. First two fingers use the middle pads to cover the holes, the pinkys use the end pads or fingertips. Interesting ... try it for fun if nothing else. :P
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
McHaffie
antispam: No

Re: Low D reach issue

Post by McHaffie »

serpent wrote: Without sounding my own horn too much, I would suggest that you check the reviews of the Serpent Python Low D and Low G whistles. I have small hands, so I made an especial effort to make those lows playable by almost anyone, without piper's grip.

Cheers, :D
serpent
*HONK, HONK* :lol: Speaking of which... Hey Serp, you an me gotta swap metal here pretty soon. Get 'yer butt down here for a pint already will ya? We'll swap stories and I'll even dig into the fellow whistlesmith bag for ye.

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai