Allow me to ask a stupid question.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
energy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by energy »

I agree, Janice, you're completely correct. I guess my point was more about the actual rhythmic nature of reels. A lot of the good, traditional musicians play a reel more like ONE-two ONE-two ONE-two ONE-two, in contrast to true cut time which would be ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four. However, there is also usually a strong emphasis on the third beat in the former rhythmic style, so there is a strong cut time element as well; it's sort of a combination of the two.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
janice

Post by janice »

Sorry Energy, but cut time is cut time. Cut time is the same as 2/2, thus no one, two, three four. There are still only two beats per bar, not four. :D
energy

Post by energy »

Well, then perhaps reels aren't in true cut time? The shortcomings of sheet music are oft spoken of, and especially when it comes to accurately portraying rhythm.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
madguy

Post by madguy »

Why do I get the feeling that the majority of this thread has probably totally confused Guthrum? :-? :D

~Larry
trisha

Post by trisha »

janice wrote:
Sorry-I still disagree with your original statement. In Irish trad, hornpipes are played as hornpipes and not as reels (and as far as I know there are no exceptions to this). I play with Cape Breton fiddlers and I have, as yet, to hear them play a hornpipe as a reel....but again, there are always exceptions.....
:wink:
Which is precisely what I said - that Cape Breton fiddlers make the distinction clearly.

Also if you had read my mail as it is written, you would have seen that I am referring to pieces of music NAMED as hornpipes ie do not take something as a dyed-in-the-wool hornpipe just because it is named as such. NAMES CAN BE DECEPTIVE TOO.

Trisha :)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

How many times do I need to clarify that jig rhythm is actually "paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde"????

Sheesh!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
madguy

Post by madguy »

Tyghress wrote:How many times do I need to clarify that jig rhythm is actually "paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde"????

Sheesh!
That's the word I was trying to think of! :D
Seriously, though, huh??? :boggle:

~Larry
Guthrum

Post by Guthrum »

Thanks for all the information folks.

jd
janice

Post by janice »

Like the commercial says, clarity is everything!! :lol:

And sorry if I offended you Trisha, none intended. And I was responding to your your first post ("many are played as reels") as inaccurate. I should have read your second post more clearly. :)
trisha

Post by trisha »

None taken :)

Trisha
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The major thing I learned re: trad tunes(and I learned this in pipe class)
"It's written that way, but that's not the way you play it"

I rely on a recording of an "expert" instead of the written timing when learning a tune, because- :P I repeat- "It's written that way, but that's not the way you play it"...... :roll: Very frustrating for someone classically trained in music, but true non the less.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West