Hello

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cori
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cori »

I don't know if I agree that sitting at home in a chair by yourself (more often than not) typing and reading is considered being 'sociable'. I wish it was, though.

I think it is, Cranberry. For me, much of my online interaction uses similar skills to those I use for friends in the real world. I've also learnt a lot in online discussion that can be profitably applied offline. Friendships I've made online are as strong and mutually supporting as those offline, which I've confirmed by travelling to visit various online-met folks. I don't think the definitions of sociability have kept up with the speed of Net-adoption and community development where geography isn't an issue.

*steps back and inspects her new hobbyhorse with pride and a little surprise*

Hail and welcome, Heartsong!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hello, Heartsong and welcome aboard.

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. Ralph would like me to ask if you have any sunflower seeds.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Cori
I think it is, Cranberry. For me, much of my online interaction uses similar skills to those I use for friends in the real world. I've also learnt a lot in online discussion that can be profitably applied offline. Friendships I've made online are as strong and mutually supporting as those offline, which I've confirmed by travelling to visit various online-met folks.
You're probably right. Something just doesn't sit well with me calling this here 'socializing', though. I have met people in real life that I first met online, too, and I had a VERY close relationship with one person in particular, for years. We called each other on the phone, and sent presents and wrote six page letters, sent pictures, etc. We never actually met though because we were in different parts of the country, but that relationship meant more to me than a lot of people I knew in 'real' life so I see your point. Mabey there are different levels of socializing online. And this is one of them. I don't know. I'm getting way over my head so I'll just shut my trap now.
heartsong

Post by heartsong »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond sooner...

I love the rambling turns that threads take here! You're all a hoot... and that's said with the utmost complimentary tone! :thumbsup:

Off to catch up on the last few days! BFN!