Any travel and adventure in you near future?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

My fiancee and I are going to Newfoundland for two weeks, the second weekend of which will be the 27th Annual Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival. I'm bringing along my whistles and hoping for a ton of tunes!
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

Ridseard wrote:
trisha wrote:Sounds like you need packing llamas...
Trisha, llama-owner, Wales
Alas, pack animals are not allowed on the Appalachian Trail.
That did go through my mind after I posted - most other places they are welcome as they cause so little environmental damage. Shame as they are such great beasts to have about.

Trisha
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

No long trips this summer (re: 6 week old little princess), but:
I'll make my first trip to Ireland on june 20. Just for the weekend for a concert in the Moat Theatre in Naas (county Kildare). I was asked to come and play a few tunes - it doesn't get better than this. The trip is only for the weekend, so i hope to make a longer one soon.

Then it's off to the motherland (Netherlands) in july :-)

Whistles and flute are required luggage...

Jeroen
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Just got back from a weekend of river rafting. I didn't take the whistle on the raft, but I did have it in camp and really enjoyed playing next to the river. One more reason for having a 2- piece whistle.
janice

Post by janice »

Coloman! You're engaged AND going to Newfoundland? Does life get any
better?
(congrats on both by the way) :D
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'm going to Deep River, Connecticut on July 18. I'll be taking drums and fifes with me, and probably will slip a whistle or two into my bag.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Nothing major so far. Have to wait and see what the job situation is like later in the year.

Will be working two renfairs in June and July. Of course flutes and whistles will attend as well.
Would like to do some more US Civil War battlefields this year if possible. That is what I've done for the past two years.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

janice wrote:Coloman! You're engaged AND going to Newfoundland? Does life get any better?
(congrats on both by the way) :D
Thanks! I'm very excited about both!
(Need to get studying those Mahers Bahers tapes from last year...)
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Headed out for Haiti tomorrow with donated whistles in tow--see you all in a couple weeks!!!

Tom
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

I havent had a real vacation longer than a 3-day weekend since 1998. This is not likely to change in the forseeable future.

However I may be getting some freeway whistling in as I get carpooled to summer school 50 miles away three days a week.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
brownja

Post by brownja »

Next week I'm driving to Nova Scotia and sailing a friend's boat back to Connecticut. Should be a bit of an adventure.
It's my vacation for the year.
Being self employed is a mixed blessing when it comes to vacations. You can take as many days off as you like, you just don't get paid for them.
Cheers,
jb
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Just got back from the Great Rocky Mountain Session up in Lander Wyoming. It was a ton of fun, and very likely the most adventurous I will get this summer, aside from a little local camping and fishing. I did take pictures, and while I had a whistle with me when we went hiking/rock climbing (I just watched the rock climbing part) I don't think there are any pictures of me playing or even holding a whistle. (*duh moment*)

There is a very slim chance that I might make it to Puerto Rico this summer, as a friend of ours occasionally gets free airline tickets in connection with his work. But we would still need to work out accomodations, food, and ground transportation once we got there, which would be a bit tricky on our budget right now. Yet one never knows I guess. If I were to go, a whistle would definatly make the trip with me.

Ah... summer....

Image Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
TomB

Post by TomB »

Just a couple of long weekends planned this summer. One to Cape Cod and the other to visit some friends in Vermont.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Ah, just got back about two hours ago and still feeling the jet-lag. We flew into Dublin, took the ferry to Wales, drove through England and spent the week near Killin Scotland. It was awesome!! We had a little cottage on Loch Tay. The most scenic place we ever been! Incredible adventure. We saw castles, did a little Nessie hunting, went to the Highland Games in Blackford, did an excursion to Edinburgh and explored castles in Wales and Castle Campbell near Stirling.

As going to Dublin was a last minute surprise - we were flying stand-by and discovered Dublin was our only option to get to the UK - I didn't have a chance to do a lot of preplanning. However, I did make it to a session that evening and picked up some whistles from the Walton's store and a Feadog as well.

wonderful trip . . . wish you all could have been there!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

trisha wrote:
Ridseard wrote:
trisha wrote:Sounds like you need packing llamas...
Trisha, llama-owner, Wales
Alas, pack animals are not allowed on the Appalachian Trail.
That did go through my mind after I posted - most other places they are welcome as they cause so little environmental damage. Shame as they are such great beasts to have about.
Amazing... :boggle: Welsh llamas, this beats both Swëdish møøses and a flock of Peruvian llamas.

Now, Trisha, what's the advantage of a packing llama vs. the old European donkey, or the more American mule?