beginner session question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
paulsdad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by paulsdad »

At the one session I attended, one of the musicians invited me to just jump in anywhere. There were so many ornamentations that I couldn't even figure out what the base tune was.

It's kind of like trying to learn some complicated dance step and some 'expert' says, "You just do (shuffles feet at the speed of light) this!"

Yeah, right!

I did make a list of some of the tunes and was able to find the sheet music for some of them on the net. I have to slow the tunes w.a.a.y down. I use a metronome and set it on about 60 to 80 beats per min. Once I figure out what the tune is supposed to sound like, and I can play it at that slow speed, I gradually (in increments of 4 beats per minute) speed it up.

Sometimes I find that by the time I learn a tune like this, I am bored with it and am ready to take the next challenge.

Unfortunately, in the Triad part of NC there just aren't any regular sessions. There is a small handful of us C & Fers, but that's about it. I feel like the guy lost in the desert crawling toward a mirage, except I'm croaking, "Guiness!"

Cheers!

Paulsdad