Julia Delaney

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
okewhistle

Julia Delaney

Post by okewhistle »

I went to a sesssion where this tune was played after "The Wise Maid" and went really well. Does anyone know where I can find the notes for a playable version on a D whistle? I have tried "The Session" but their version is in C. Steve
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Julia Delaney is in D minor (or, really, the Aeolian mode on D) - key signature = 1 flat. If you want to play it at sessions, you will need a C whistle (playing with "G" fingering - there are a couple of Bbs in the tune - "C nat" fingering). Your best approach to it is to learn it by ear or from the dots (transpose them up a tone to get D fingering so you can read it as normal) on C whistle... then you'll know the fingering and can play it on any other whistle, but obviously not in company! If you want to play it at your session in their set with The Wise Maid, you'll just have to switch whistles at the tune-change, or get very nifty at half-holing and cross fingering! (Not a serious option!) Grand tune!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

There was a trend last year among my fiddling friends from Ohio to play "Julia Delaney" in D major, which is actually the key O'Neill's has it in. That makes it quite playable on a normal D whistle. But that version is completely incompatible with the standard D minor version....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I play it in D minor on a D flute, but it's a workout on the keys.
Much easier on a C whistle- play it as any normal E minor tune but it comes out in D minor.
One of the advantages to the Radcliff system flute Paddy Carty used.