Looking for Good Whistle. Advice?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dom
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Looking for Good Whistle. Advice?

Post by Dom »

Hey,

I have been playing the whistle for years but only on the cheaper models. And whilst I like them I find they have their faults and ultimately tend to go out of tune or break.

For Christmas I am asking for a fairly decent one as a present, probably in the £50 - £80 price bracket. I would like to know peoples suggestions for a decent metal or possibly wooden whistle.

Any help, suggestions and advice would be great =)

Thanks.
Dom

Re: Looking for Good Whistle. Advice?

Post by Dom »

Sorry forgot to point out that I am looking for a standard D whistle.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

The best one I've played in your price range is the Impempe.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

You also might want to look at this site

http://www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.aspx

He has several reviews of higher-end whistles that should fall in your price range.

(Be warned that these reviews are a few years old.)
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

ultimately tend to go out of tune
You're joking are you? Image

edit to correct spelling mistake
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

slowair

Post by slowair »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
ultimately tend to go out of tune
Your joking are you? Image
Dom,

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the board. I'm sure others will be chiming in soon with their recommendations.

I would also like to apologize for mr. dumby's remark. He seems to enjoy being nasty, even to new people. He is not typical of the nice folks you will find here.

Good luck in your search.

Mike
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Welcome!
Dom wrote:I have been playing the whistle for years but only on the cheaper models. And whilst I like them I find they have their faults and ultimately tend to go out of tune or break.
Hmm. Like Peter, I'm suprised that you have that experience with cheap whistles. How long do your cheap whistles last? If they are breaking so easily, then I think it might be good to work out what's going wrong before you buy a more expensive whistle. A wooden whistle might break even easier than a cheap metal whistle.

I'm really happy with my Dixon Trad whistle, which was around £20. Maybe the money that you save could be used to buy a decent whistle case if they are getting damaged whilst being stored or transported. Maybe your whistles need cleaning? That's not something I need to do very often, but it depends from player to player, and also if whistles are played too soon after eating / drinking.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Dom,

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the board. I'm sure others will be chiming in soon with their recommendations.

I would also like to apologize for mr. dumby's remark. He seems to enjoy being nasty, even to new people. He is not typical of the nice folks you will find here.

Good luck in your search.

Mike

I don't know who has the personalised nasty streak here, well, I do know who comes here bearing a grudge, that's for sure.

I was perfectly serious. A whistle may get dirty or gather muck inside and sound different, you may inadvertently move it's head, you may sit on it an bend it or otherwise damage it but there's no reason I can think of why a whistle, any whistle, will eventually go out of tune unless it physically changes somehow. And in any standard use of a whistle, that is not likely to happen.

So I am curious. If you don't mind.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Wow, what a disgusting, nasty, and offensive post from slowair.

I'm with Mr. Gumby (who is far from "dumb" as slowair insinuated): I've never had a whistle "go out of tune" that wasn't put out of tune by my own actions. Maybe you simply haven't made the cheap whistles tunable and after a while find yourself in a situation where you can hear that you aren't in tune with the other musicians present. The whistle definitely hasn't changed, though! This is when moving the head a tiny bit will fix that, which is needed by any whistle, and isn't just a cheap thing!

I remember an old joke, which I'll paraphrase: "I paid 80 pounds for this whistle and it doesn't tune itself?"
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

$$ - Dixon Trad or Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog
$$$ - Parks Every or Dixon Aluminum DX006

These are actually below your listed price range, but all 4 are great whistles.
Last edited by Pipe Bender on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Tony Dixon Trad, Any Jerry Freeman "D" whistle, Clare etc. all these will be under 50 pounds. Good Luck with your search!

www.tuxedomusic.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll second the Impempe recommendation. I tried the tour whistle and really liked it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Porridge Face

Post by Porridge Face »

Hey Dom, welcome to the group! I have a Dixon Traditional d in brass, and I love it. I also have a Carey Parks "Ghost" whistle in d, and it's very, very nice. Neither was expensive.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Welcome aboard; I personally have not experienced the problems cited by some others regarding cheapies and have had a few dozen for many years now with no diminished playability or breakage to report. I play and collect more expensive whistles too just because I love all whistles and enjoy the craftsmanship and perhaps enhanced depth of tone at times.

That said, that mid price range is difficult in that it doesn't allow for the range of choice in the low and high end whistles. I would take a good look at a Black Diamond by Erle of Syn whistles or a Susato or a Freeman tweaker. If you'd go a bit higher and endure a bit of a wait, the whistle I'd personally suggest if you could get only one at any price is a Sindt.

I haven't tried a Parks, but many people seem to like them.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Dom wrote: For Christmas I am asking for a fairly decent one as a present, probably in the £50 - £80 price bracket. I would like to know peoples suggestions for a decent metal or possibly wooden whistle.
I quit asking this question years ago at the very height of my WhOA. What I found out was that no two people are ever exactly alike. Whistles I just "happened across" quickly became beloved companions, while some highly recommended instruments would have made marvelous drum sticks.

Do you have a dealer or friend who might let you try different instruments before you buy?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues