My Midlife Crisis

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

My Midlife Crisis

Post by raindog1970 »

I've long been unhappy with my job, which has taken a toll on me both emotionally and physically.
All the mandatory overtime hours of the past few years have made things that much worse, but the end is now in sight: Philips "Best Plant" Slated to Close in Sparta.
I'm really not sure how I feel about this, it happened so suddenly and without warning.
Right now I'm planning on going full time with whistle making when the layoffs get down to me, and I hope that I'll be able to sell enough to pay the bills.
I've always envied people who could make a living doing something they enjoyed, but I could never justify the risk of quitting my job to take a chance on something that might not work out.
Now I have nothing to lose by taking the chance, so look for the return of Humphrey Whistles some time in the near future.

Oh, and I haven't mentioned the kidney stone I had three weeks ago.
First Colin Goldie, then me... it could become an epidemic among whistle makers! :lol:
I've always heard how bad those things hurt, but you really have no idea until you experience it firsthand.
Unlike Colin's, mine was too large to pass and had to be removed via lithotripsy.
No fun, no fun at all, but thankfully it's rare that a kidney stone requires invasive surgery these days.
Kicking my caffeine addiction was also necessary to help prevent future stones, which was no walk in the park, but it's worth it if I never have to go through that pain again.
I'm over the headaches, anxiety and irritability now, but I'm still sleepy most of the time.

I already knew from some recent blood work that my blood sugar and cholesterol are higher than normal, and that I had a few nutrient deficiencies, so I've been moving in incremental steps toward a healthier diet and getting regular exercise.
The doctor tells me I'd better stop procrastinating and take the necessary action to help lower the high probability of becoming diabetic and/or developing heart disease, both of which are common in my family.
Well, that kidney stone was just the wake-up call I needed to convince me that I've neglected my health for too long.
I've lost a few pounds and my blood pressure has been improving, so I'm hoping to eventually be able to stop having to take medication to lower it.
Getting out of that factory will be a huge stress relief, which should do wonders for my blood pressure if no new source of stress comes along after that.

I'm looking toward my future very optimistically right now, and I think there's a real chance that I'll be happier and healthier when all this is behind me.
Many have been the mornings I have driven to work lamenting the thought of growing old in that factory, and now I know that's not going to happen.
Not that I was ever ungrateful to have a job, especially in today's economy, but was always wishing I could do something I enjoyed instead of drudge work.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Feadoggie

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Post by Feadoggie »

I have been there. Keep the optimism. You will indeed be happier. And watch your health. I'm sure the stress will dissolve once you are out of the rat race. All I can add is that since my forced retirement I really enjoy sitting in front of the lathe turning whistles and flutes on my own schedule. It makes all the difference in the world. Gary, I wish you the best of luck with everything including Humphrey whistles.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

How about making a whistle that sounds like Tom Waits sings?

...and that's not a criticism. I'm a TW fan for a long time.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I for one will be glad to see Humphrey whistles being produced once more. There is none better than my D.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice to hear from you, and I hope things work out for the best. In the long run, they usually do.

At the risk of giving medical advice, let me recommend what all of the urologists in our hospital recommend to all of their kidney stone patients: drink LOTS of water.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

You might want to take down the "Sorry, we're closed" sign and show us some whistles.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

Embrace the midlife crisis with ferver...

I recommend tattoos, long hair, motorcycles, weight loss, healthy living, and other "drastic" lifestyle changes to help embrace the change. :D
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
walrii

Post by walrii »

Here's another thing I love about this community: a whistle maker announces that he is returning to full-time production and two of the first four replies are other whistle makers welcoming him back. Best of luck, Gary.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I understand, Gary. Colin and I want through kidney stones, together. And I experienced the realities of lithotripsy, also. Marble sized stones are just not going to pass... The whole experience is to be avoided, if possible... I was never one to feel thirsty. I know I did not drink enough, but felt no need to do so. Suffice it to say that kidney stones, lithotripsy - and its aftermath - are all a life-changing experience. I drink a whole lot of water, now...

It will be good to see Humphrey Whistles again, on the market. I wish you the best in your endeavor, Gary.

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

Thanks for the update, Gary. Glad to read you are on the mend and will be building whistles again. I worked in factories and canneries for over thirty years with the requisite overtime and often hot and wet conditions. Not much money now but, enough. :) Best of luck as you start creating new paths and building the wonderful Humphrey whistles.

Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
jmiller

Post by jmiller »

I am real sorry to hear about your job loss. Been there, but things work out. Looking forward to seeing your store open. I could use a new whistle.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm on call this weekend and we had one case just this morning of an elderly lady with a stone that nearly FILLED the entire open space of the kidney (staghorn stone of the kidney pelvis).
Like I said, keep drinking...

(similar to this)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Amazing, Paul. I got pretty good at reading my own x-rays, and I fully understand what that x-ray shows. I don't want to even think of the procedure needed to remove that thing.

Shudder.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
riverman

Post by riverman »

Gary, thanks for sharing. I never heard a bad about a Humphrey whistle, so I think you've got a shot. I'd add one thing to your plans, if you haven't already: Find a good church!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Midlife crises sure put things in perspective. Wishing yours turns out even better than mine. And mine brought me to the harmonica and then to playing the flute, something I would have never believe possible.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦