I don't like fast Irish tradition music. Give me my airs.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CelticWhistler
antispam: No

Re: I don't like fast Irish tradition music. Give me my airs.

Post by CelticWhistler »

This is all getting ridiculous. Firstly, I deleted that post I made of my favorite slow songs in the ITM forum before Mr. Gumby made his snide remark here about me liking "The Sash me Father Wore" ballad. And I never claimed it was an air. I know it's an Irish BALLAD. :evil:

Geez. And I thought only classical musicians could be anal snobs. This thread proves otherwise. People have started picking apart my user name, and now I've even been branded a troll? :-? That sure didn't take long.

I don't really see any reason to post here any more.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I deleted that post I made of my favorite slow songs in the ITM forum before Mr. Gumby made his snide remark here about me liking "The Sash me Father Wore" ballad. And I never claimed it was an air. I know it's an Irish BALLAD. :evil:
See, you just don't get it. The problem is all of your own making.
My brain hurts

CelticWhistler

Post by CelticWhistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
And I never claimed it was an air. I know it's an Irish BALLAD. :evil:
See, you just don't get it.
Did you get a master's degree in talking down to people?

I guess I'm just not as enlightened as you are. You are special. Just keep looking in the mirror and repeat it over and over. 'I am special, I am special.' :lol:

In the meantime, you had better tell the Irish publisher of the Irish ballad book I bought that has it listed as a ballad that it isn't really a ballad.

*edit* I've had enough. I'm done with this forum. :wink:
Last edited by CelticWhistler on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Work away there. Don't forget your shovel. Image
My brain hurts

CelticWhistler

Post by CelticWhistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Work away there. Don't forget your shovel. Image
You seem to be the one who is the troll here. Let me educate you:

The Sash My Father Wore ballad from Wikipedia
The Sash (also known as The Sash My Father Wore) is an Irish ballad commemorating the victory of King William III in the Williamite war in Ireland in 1690–1691.

The lyrics mention the 1689 Siege of Derry, the 1689 Battle of Newtownbutler near Enniskillen, the 1690 Battle of the Boyne and the 1691 Battle of Aughrim. It is popular amongst Ulster loyalists and many unionists in Northern Ireland, as well as in parts of Scotland where it can often be heard sung at football games by supporters of Rangers F.C. (in particular by the more vocal support at away matches).

The lyrics are thought to be around 100 years old, and the melody has been traced back to the early 19th century. The earliest known printing of the tune is from 1876. It included the words "The Hat My Father Wore".[1] The song is classified in the Roud folk-song index as number 4796. The tune of "The Sash" was well known around Europe, and before the lyrics were added, it was a love song that lamented division between people. Instead of "it was old and it was beautiful", the lyrics were "she was young and she was beautiful". It has also been adapted by fans of Stockport County F.C., who call it "The Scarf My Father Wore" or simply "The Anthem."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sash

But anyways, I'm not wasting any more time here. Take care. :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For sure amongst us ITM players some have a special love for airs and some don't care for playing airs all that much.

Francis O Neill mentions the same thing when discussing various players of his aquaintance: some were noted for their air-playing, some for their dance-music playing.

The best players, such as Paddy Keenan, Matt Molloy, etc are superb both at airs and dance music. I would venture to say that no-one could really call himself an ITM player without having a fair mastery of both.

I love it all, reels, jigs, polkas, waltzes, airs, all of it. But on the uilleann pipes I have a particular love of airs. One of my favourite uilleann CDs is The Ancient Voice of Ireland which consists entirely of airs.

About that YouTube video, I myself am not amused. It implies that "Irish" means fast pounding repetitive dull pub songs. I wonder if that guy is really that ignorant or if he just thinks he's being funny. And the Beatles were Irish, weren't they? From an Irish area of Liverpool?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

CelticWhistler, I would recommend, even though you feel put upon, that you not give up on this forum. You have gotten some criticism, and some slagging, but you have also gotten a lot of valuable feedback. To retreat from resources like this is to trap yourself in a prison of your own making--continue to learn as much as you can about the music you obviously love.
And for myself, I think you have gotten off pretty well in a discussion that suggested that many of the people who discuss things here, those who like dance tunes and attend sessions, are on the wrong track!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:For sure amongst us ITM players some have a special love for airs and some don't care for playing airs all that much.

Francis O Neill mentions the same thing when discussing various players of his aquaintance: some were noted for their air-playing, some for their dance-music playing.

The best players, such as Paddy Keenan, Matt Molloy, etc are superb both at airs and dance music. I would venture to say that no-one could really call himself an ITM player without having a fair mastery of both.

I love it all, reels, jigs, polkas, waltzes, airs, all of it. But on the uilleann pipes I have a particular love of airs. One of my favourite uilleann CDs is The Ancient Voice of Ireland which consists entirely of airs.

About that YouTube video, I myself am not amused. It implies that "Irish" means fast pounding repetitive dull pub songs. I wonder if that guy is really that ignorant or if he just thinks he's being funny. And the Beatles were Irish, weren't they? From an Irish area of Liverpool?
Good post. Loads to think about there. Of course, I don't agree with one or two things ... :wink:

"No-one could really call himself an ITM player without having a fair mastery of both." I think you may well be right. But ... because of my sincerely held take on it - that you can't play the airs without knowing the words - that means I probably won't ever be a master, as I just don't know enough of the underlying songs. I think it rules out quite a lot of us, and of some really good players, in fact.

I really liked that YouTube video. I think it's really funny. I don't think it's about ITM as you and I would understand and play it, Richard. But if you've ever been in a particularly touristy pub in Temple Bar - or even if you just think of a typical Irish pub band anywhere in the world on Paddy's night - I think you'd be closer to his target. And that target is fair game, in my book.

And the Beatles weren't Irish in a sense that would be understood over on this side of the pond. Here, we don't think of genetic/family heritage, but simply of where someone is born. So they were English. I think there's a different take on such things in the States (but you can set me right on that one, as I'm only speculating from things people have said on various forums).

And, CelticWhistler, the point that Mr Gumby was trying to make is that pretty well all Irish (and other Celtic) airs are the tunes to songs, ballads, what have you. So yes, TSMFW is a ballad, and its tune is an air. That's what an air is - the tune to a song/ballad. There are a few modern airs which don't have words, but, even so, I would suggest that their composers have in mind that they are song-like in character, and would have some idea of what they might be about, even. Out of interest, the reason why it's used as an anthem by Rangers fans is because it's anti-Catholic (Celtic being the arch-enemy, of course).

I wouldn't think of Mr Gumby as "talking down" to you, but rather of being less than enamoured of some of the things you have posted. Some of the things you have said, on this thread and on others, are insulting to some of us in ways that you don't seem to be aware of. I think if you become more aware of where the insult lies, and of how deeply it runs, you may have less trouble in future.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're right Al. But it's his own decision.

I think there were enough hints left in this thread why Celtic's post were thought to be offensive. And it wasn't his preference for airs that caused the offence. It's a big world and we all have our preferences. It's how we express them that matters. For example: I do not like Low Whistles. I mentioned that but didn't feel the need to put down all players of low whistles in the process. There's no need for that at all at all.

He could have picked up on that but chose to go defensive.

Even now he still doesn't seem to have an inkling about why 'The Sash' would get in him into all sorts of misunderstandings and maybe some serious harm if the picked the wrong time and place to play it.

Hint for CW: the differences between 'song-air' 'slow air' and 'ballad' have nothing to do with it.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

CelticWhistler

Post by CelticWhistler »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I still feel like some here are splitting hairs and need to lighten up a bit. Like I said, after seeing some of the uppity, 'you are ignorant', 'we are are enlightened', 'we are special' attitudes here, this forum probably isn't for me. Life is too short to sit behind a computer screen and play these games in a forum with people I will never meet. This is the thing I probably hate most about internet forums- people with big egos. This will be my last post. Take care all. :)
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

Well done everyone, we really saw him off, bring in the next victim please Miss Jones.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I honestly don't think insulting people who, despite you attacking them right from the off, have stayed around to help and try and point out what it is that is offensive, is too clever. Won't get you far, CelticWhistler. There were lots of helpful posts here, but instead of sifting out what might be useful to you, you've chosen to characterise people - I suppose, in particular, Mr Gumby, but maybe me and others as well - as "uppity", needing to "lighten up" and having "big egos".

As I say, not helpful ... to anyone, including you.
MojoXN
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MojoXN »

The main theme from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Inner Light" is an amazing piece of music. Very relaxed tempo and deeply moving.

Here is a link to a Youtube video of a clip from the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1Zo5Ljws0

This song is what motivated me to learn to play the whistle 3 years ago. Now I can play a pretty mean rendition of it. :)
The only thing that makes life worth living is loving others more than yourself.
Denny

Post by Denny »

pancelticpiper wrote:About that YouTube video, I myself am not amused. It implies that "Irish" means fast pounding repetitive dull pub songs. I wonder if that guy is really that ignorant or if he just thinks he's being funny.
Did ya think that Roy Zimmerman was Irish?

Given the number of youtube videos of his and having listened to a few of 'em, I'd think that he was attempting humor.

I'm of the opinion (feel free to change that to IMHO or even IMVHO) that, quite often, them bein' poked at don't see it as funny.

(Let's ignore that "roast" thing so as not to confuse which is displaying ignorance here. :wink: )
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
JonM

Post by JonM »

I don't like country music. In fact, my idea of a particularly cruel hell would be an eternity of having to listen to the stuff. And yet, oddly, it has never occurred to me to go to a website crammed full of country fans and tell them, "Just my opinion, but most of what you folks listen to, study and work hard to master, well, I find it banal, inexpressibly boring, mind numbing and soul deadening. No offense intended, just my opinion, keep your sense of humor, don't get your panties tied in a knot and no particular reason you should care what I think anyway and, oh yes, why did I feel compelled to express this opinion in this forum anyway? What possible contribution did I think I was making to anybody's appreciation of anything?" Since this does not seem a very reasonable or helpful way to proceed, I guess I will stay away from whatever forum country music lovers inhabit. I don't think they would care for me--and I wouldn't blame them.