Whistle Advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dana DiAnda
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Advice

Post by Dana DiAnda »

After owning my Fred Rose flute for a couple of years, I've decided to sell it and get a low D whistle instead. I played recorders for many years before taking up the flute, and have come to the conclusion that I'm more of an end-blown flute person. I got fairly comfortable and somewhat competent on the Fred Rose, but still find myself gravitating toward my whistles more often.

The whistles that I have are higher ones. I have a couple of cheap metal body/plastic head ones, and a couple of Susatos. I like the softer sound of the Susatos much more. I'm thinking of getting a Dixon polymer low D.

I was wondering if there is much difference in the sound of the tunable/two piece and one piece polymer Dixons. I don't really need to be able to tune, and I like the look of the one piece much more. (I like the straight, consistent diameter of the one piece, rather than the swollen joint of the two piece). Would I be sacrificing anything beyond tunability in getting a one piece?

And, what other softer sounding, fairly inexpensive options might I be overlooking?

Thanks!
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: Whistle Advice

Post by talasiga »

Dana DiAnda wrote:After owning my Fred Rose flute for a couple of years, I've decided to sell it and get a low D whistle instead. I played recorders for many years before taking up the flute, and have come to the conclusion that I'm more of an end-blown flute person. I got fairly comfortable and somewhat competent on the Fred Rose, but still find myself gravitating toward my whistles more often.
yes, your approach to flute is shadowed by your recorder past.
is it sage to sell the flute?
my advice is keep the flute and get the low D whistle.
the whistle's muse is elana to the flute's muse.

I predict that one day you will play that flute
and recall that once you wished to sell it and delight that you didn't.
do not limit your future Dana ......
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi Dana

I would go along with the above. I travelled (want of a better term) from Harmonicas (Sore lips syndrum) to Recorder to Whistles of which I have several including a Dixon non-tuneable Low D. The fingering on this can be difficult unless you have large hands and are familiar with the pipers grip.

I have not picked up the recorder for about a year and did so yesterday to my amazement and that I could keep the air flow consistant and find sharps and flats that were beyond me previously. So keep the flute for future discoveries and go for a low D. The Dixon, I would say is medium in terms of volume, and until you are used to it rather one diamensional in tone ( this changes with practice). Air requirements are good as you need little pressure to get all notes in the lower and upper octave. As yet I find it is a little slow in transfering from the upper to the lower octave, so good for slow airs and ballads.

Best wishes to you and good whistleing

Ian.

[ Deleted mangled quotes. - Mod ]
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i would say keep the flute they are harder to come by, money wise and most likely you Will want to go back to it------- i have had many low whistles and sold them, i have found the aluminum ones ALL vary extremely, the clearest i have had was the Overtons by Bernard himself. I have heard Goldies are good , Copeland is a great Whistle,But Loud and i would imagine the Lows are just as great--Plastic is plastic loud and clear, but no warmth--I had a Sweartheart whistle and Loved it------- and If I had the Money and the Want i would Like to try the Sweetheart Lowshistle------ If it is anything like their wooden or dymondwood Highs whistle ----- it would be the one I would pick ----- wood has a warmer tone and since my love for the WOODs has increased my Desires increased , SO i went to the flute, still the whistle is there for practice ,as far as tuning i have never Needed to tune my whistles, with the exception of the Copelands-----simply because i could tune it

from expensive to cheep, they either are in tune or they are not--- some notes will need to be "blown" in tune

yes the slide helps tune it in , but EACH whistle varies, i have had overtons that are terrible------Vinnie kilduf plays generations and sounds great-------- Me i love Clarke originals, quite and smooth----i only wished they made a low whistle :D --
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dana DiAnda wrote:I played recorders for many years before taking up the flute, and have come to the conclusion that I'm more of an end-blown flute person. I got fairly comfortable and somewhat competent on the Fred Rose, but still find myself gravitating toward my whistles more often.
And now a word from the other side of the room ...

I understand completely. The transverse flute and I ... have never, ever gotten along. It has nothing to do with tone, or expressiveness, or respect for the instrument, or good role models. The flute just doesn't fit or suit me. It never feels like a friend in my hands, or in my heart, as so many other instruments have done at first touch. It just feels wrong. As with people, some relationships are just not meant to be.

Sometimes the past is not a shadow on the present, but a bright pointer in the direction you are meant to go. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

MTGuru wrote:.....
Sometimes the past is not a shadow on the present, but a bright pointer in the direction you are meant to go. :-)
the "bright pointer" is subject to one's interpretation and interpretation may be coloured by one's history.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Philosophy aside, one nice option for a soft sounding, extremely inexpensive, low whistle is to make your own out of CPVC pipe. The Guido Gonzales instructions are easy and easy to find. You can adjust the volume with variations in fipple design and making it yourself will allow rotation of holes for ergonomics, if desired. If you find out the stretch is just not for you (or you hate piper's grip) you aren't out more than a few bucks and a couple hours time. Also you get the experience of making a working musical instrument.

P.S., I also suggest you keep the flute. When I first got an M&E conical delrin I couldn't play it for beans. I was sure there was something wrong with me, or the flute, and was devastated since playing ITM on the flute had always been my dream. Put it down for a year or so, then went back to trying before taking a beginners class at the Irish Week in the Catskills. Now I play flute preferentially and find the ease of fingering and capability of tonal variation more than offsets the embochure difficulties. The flute certainly has a steeper learning curve, but the rewards are there as well.

Luck,
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Dana DiAnda

Post by Dana DiAnda »

Thanks everyone for the advice (here & in PMs). I hate to disappoint most of you, but the flute was sold at about the same time that I started this thread. Maybe I will give it another shot in the future though. I am going to try making my own whistle for the fun of it... I suppose I'll try flutes too.

In the end, I decided to not go the Dixon route. Actually, the person who offered to buy the flute first gave me another option, which I couldn't pass up - to trade the flute for a Burke low D along with a little cash to go toward a frame drum that I've wanted to get; with the option to return the Burke in a couple of weeks for a full refund if I don't like it.

Thanks again!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I am not at all disappointed. It was a pleasure being constructive in your topic.
Best wishes.
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Actually, the person who offered to buy the flute first gave me another option, which I couldn't pass up - to trade the flute for a Burke low D along with a little cash to go toward a frame drum that I've wanted to get; with the option to return the Burke in a couple of weeks for a full refund if I don't like it.
Wow, that sounds like a very good deal for a Burke Low D whistle, with a typically generous and helpful Chiffer offer for the refund. I've got a Burke Low D and they are clearly a premium instrument. If you can handle the finger stretch I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Certainly not a disappointment, and if you are set up to make a whistle you might as well make a PVC flute at the same time. I think Doug Tipple still has some great instructions on how to do that online as well (though his are such a deal already made, that it hardly makes sense to do it yourself unless you, like me, just enjoy making things).

Enjoy
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Dana DiAnda

Post by Dana DiAnda »

People here do seem to be awfully generous (good advice, and otherwise) - I was also given the option to return the Fred Rose when I originally bought it from someone here.

I think the finger stretch won't be a problem - despite my name, I'm male, and have a pretty good reach.

I do, like you, enjoy making things myself. I already have the PVC here waiting to be made into flutes and whistles... now I just need to find some spare time.

Thanks again everyone. I can't wait to try out the Burke!
Latticino wrote: Wow, that sounds like a very good deal for a Burke Low D whistle, with a typically generous and helpful Chiffer offer for the refund. I've got a Burke Low D and they are clearly a premium instrument. If you can handle the finger stretch I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Certainly not a disappointment, and if you are set up to make a whistle you might as well make a PVC flute at the same time. I think Doug Tipple still has some great instructions on how to do that online as well (though his are such a deal already made, that it hardly makes sense to do it yourself unless you, like me, just enjoy making things).

Enjoy
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Dana DiAnda wrote:.......

I think the finger stretch won't be a problem - despite my name, I'm male, and have a pretty good reach.
the issues of name/gender V reach are non sequitur