Thinking of getting a dependable whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I'm getting to the point where I want a soprano D whistle that I can depend upon. I have various sweetones, original clarke, the meg (which I think is the best), but I want to get something that is quite clear in it's tone and significantly loud. I tried playing the susatos, but was very disappointed in them. I can spend probably up to about $100 without feeling to bad. I've heard some great stuff about elfsongs, but what do you guys suggest?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Clear in tone, significantly loud and basically in your stated price range, in the order in which I recommend them -

Silkstone alloy
Seery
Water Weasel
O'Riordan
Sweet
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Elfsongs are great, and I'm one of their biggest cheerleaders, but they're not at all loud. I love mine dearly, but if volume is what you're looking for, it's not the one for you.

JessieK plays a lot of different whistles (and well, too!)...if I were you I'd take her recommendations very seriously.

Redwolf
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You could get a Generation D and still have $94 left. I own several high enders, but play the Gens more than anything else. They are fairly loud, too.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Reyburn.
See JessieK's review, plus there's lots o' info if you do a search.
Micah
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Micah, I disagree. The Reyburn is not significantly loud. It's also not among the clearest. I love it, but it doesn't fit the description of what this person is looking for.
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

When you say "I want somthing dependable" the first thing that comes to mind is a Burke wide bore brass". It is loud enough to be heard at a season, but not as loud as a thin weasal or copeland. Of course those are out of your buget. Can't go wrong with a Burke. I'll never get rid of mine!
sturob

Post by sturob »

Maybe there's considerable Reyburn variation. I also have a Reyburn high D, and its volume is quite comparable to my Copeland.

He might also tweak it for the customer.

I concur with Jessie's glowing review, though. Wonderful whistle. Mine's tuned to just intonation, and it's really great.

Stuart
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have the only one that was configured to be more pure, and thus more quiet. So mine would be very different from yours, Stuart. That said, as far as I know, yours is not particularly pure in tone, or clear.
Dragon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dragon »

I have a Michael Burke brass D. It is a great whislte and C&F has a review of his whisltes: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/burkereview.html.

and Michael's websight is http://www.burkewhistles.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The Burke WBB was my first high end whistle, and without it I probably wouldn't have gotten nearly as serious as I have about whistling. It doesnt' take any fussing the way a wooden one does, its loud enough without being overpowering, pleasant sound, substantial feel in the hands.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I play a Burke brass pro session and a brass pro narrow bore almost exclusively. The pro session is slightly louder than either the narrow bore or the old style WBB.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I cannot help but throw in my vote for a Burke wide bore brass. Aside from a good Brasso job every now and again to keep it pretty, it is my most reliable, no-fuss whistle. I imagine the Burke AlPro would be even more no-fuss, but I don't have one so I can't speak about it's volume.

Let me also throw a wildcard out there...the Dixon sop D with brass tuning slide. A very nice playing, reliable whistle...and much cheaper, too. Pretty loud and nice and clear tone. Tuning on my specimen is very good. The only problem I have had with mine is the tuning slide which has frozen in place...after I played it while scuba diving in salt water and failed to rinse it thoroughly :eek:
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Thanks for all of your help, guys :smile:
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I like Burke Wide bore brass whistles, but I don't find them significantly loud OR particularly clear in tone. Michael asked for a very specific set of qualities. There are LOTS of really good whistles available.

Edit: I want to add that Colin Goldie has made a few "easier blowing" Overtons that are quite clear in tone and quite loud. Something else to consider. You'd have to specify the qualities you want when placing your order with him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JessieK on 2003-02-06 11:53 ]</font>