Bluegrass Whistlin'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Re: Bluegrass Whistlin'

Post by caedmon »

Thomaston wrote:One of my goals in life is to start an Irish/Bluegrass/Old Time fusion band. Still lacking the talent and other willing participants. :(
Move to Ohio and you have a partner for music. :) I want to do the same thing.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Jim hit on a key word when he said "generally" quite welcome. The majority of Bluegrass bands/players I've been around are fairly open and accepting, but be aware that not all Bluegrass has an open attitude toward instrumentation. I've been around hard core Bluegrassers where even a well-played whistle would be about as welcome as a tambourine at an ITM session.

BTW, one of the bands I sit in with on occasion is exactly what Thomaston described...Irish/Bluegrass/Old Time with a bit of Zydeco mixed in. Really great fun to play with these guys and they just let me do whatever comes to mind on both guitar and whistle. :D
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

True. sometimes bluegrass people want an all-string Bill Monroe sound. Not often, in my experience.
but possible.
Country music was people picking up whatever acoustic instruments were at hand, typically.