Suggestions for a C whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squirrel

Suggestions for a C whistle

Post by squirrel »

Hi all,

One of my students needs a C whistle, something different from a Susato C she already owns.

I would for her a whistle who don't require too much breath in the high notes but with a medium/loud volume.

What do you think about dixons?

Any suggestion will be really appreciated, thanks.
Sorry for my bad english...
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Suggestions for a C whistle

Post by Steve Bliven »

Not sure where you are located (i.e., how difficult/expensive it might be to ship from the US) but you really can't go wrong with one of Jerry Freeman's Mellow Dogs.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Steve Bliven wrote:you really can't go wrong with one of Jerry Freeman's Mellow Dogs.
Second the motion.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think the finest C whistle this side of $100 is the Walton's. I have a nickel one that's actually somewhat reminiscent of my Thin Weasel; it has a kind of throaty sound, neither the blandness of the Burke nor the sweetness of the Susato (both of which are quality whistles). I think a C whistle shouldn't be just a longer D whistle; it's enough bigger that it can be given a somewhat bigger voice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Dixons are nice whistles. She might also check out Carey Park's Every Whistle in C. It seems like it might fit your description of what she is looking for.

Hope she finds one she likes.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Thank you very much for your suggestions!
Sorry for my bad english...
MarkP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

Generation C nickel blue top (or the Jerry Freeman tweaked version)?

I liked my Dixon aluminium body C whistle with the brass tuning slide but some b***** nicked it (Tony still makes them to order though, DX006C).
Mark
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Personally I really love Sindts in C they may be a bit more than the others and take a while to get, but they are worth it.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'd recommend Jerry's Mellow Dog too. When I got mine a while back I went ahead and paid the extra $5.00 to get the C body and I actually like it better than the D body. Very smooth and easy to play.

Jason
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

chas wrote:I think the finest C whistle this side of $100 is the Walton's. I have a nickel one that's actually somewhat reminiscent of my Thin Weasel; it has a kind of throaty sound, neither the blandness of the Burke nor the sweetness of the Susato (both of which are quality whistles). I think a C whistle shouldn't be just a longer D whistle; it's enough bigger that it can be given a somewhat bigger voice.
Charlie - I'm curious is your Walton C a "Golden Tone Whistle"? I have 2 and they stopped making them quite some time ago. Oh, and if so, agreed, with this you need no other C whistle and at about 6 or 7 bucks a pop when I got them, WOW! Mine are both brass with yellow plastic heads and an affixed oval black label "Walton's Golden Tone Whistle C Irish Made."

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I may have just answered my own question. I pulled out a couple of old Walton C whiatles that rae not Golden Tone, and they are nickel tubes with green plastic heads, and also terrific; maybe a bit less warm in tone (descriptive not quality assessment).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
cj

Post by cj »

I just received my Jerry Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog C, and I agree with the majority here--it's so sweet! The price is reasonable. Jerry, keep up the good work!
whistlearcher

Post by whistlearcher »

I am using a Clarke Black C. I find it has a nice, haunting tone and unlike its key of D next of kin, it is not as difficult with breath and breathing technique. It is also less than 100 dollars (US or Australian). I bought mine from a nice little shop in Tasmania, Celtic Southern Cross. If you can get your hands on one, have her try it out.
michael ward

Post by michael ward »

You didn't mention price so I'll just say the C Copeland in brass I bought from Doc is one of the nicest whistles I ever played..it's just terrific. It doesn't play itself so you can lean into it and really shape the sound.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Feadog C. IMHO, the best value there is.

(Not necessarily the best whistle, you understand! But for the price...)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.