Should you put off learning a new tune?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Infernaltootler
antispam: No

Should you put off learning a new tune?

Post by Infernaltootler »

It's been mentioned that under stress when playing you revert to the way you first learnt a tune even if you have since learnt different tricks for it.

If this is true, and I rather think it is, would you be wise to put off learning a special new tune until you have the skills to play it reasonably well the first time?

If so, which tunes should you save til you can play half decent?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Should you put off learning a new tune?

Post by brewerpaul »

Nah-- if you like a tune, start learning it. You'll pick up new skills in the process. Take it slow and easy, especially on the harder bits.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
markbell

Post by markbell »

Definitely keep learning new tunes. If your experience is like mine, you may find that the old tune sounds better even if neglected for a while, because technique improves, even though playing other songs. Also, new tunes will expose you to new timings, intervals and rhythms, which will increase your musical "vocabulary," and your confidence will continue to improve.
sibilo ergo sum
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Infernaltootler wrote:It's been mentioned that under stress when playing you revert to the way you first learnt a tune even if you have since learnt different tricks for it.

If this is true, and I rather think it is, would you be wise to put off learning a special new tune until you have the skills to play it reasonably well the first time?
I cant claim to be an experienced enough player to answer for definite, but I can sympathise with this view. However perhaps I could suggest that there need not be anything 'magical' or irrevocable about this phenomena. When you learn a new tune you probably play it more often and more intensively than at any subsequent time. The habits of the fingers are set deeply. Later when you embellish (add tricks?) you probably do not practice anywhere near as much as when first learning the tune. I would suggest that if you put as much practice into the embellishments then that is what you will play when under performance stress.

Just my opinion.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Yes, learn the tune now. Part of the magic of music is learning a song you love and hearing it come out of your instrument.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I've learned all my instruments informally. I have a couple of questions.

Are you learning one tune at a time and only moving on to another tune after you master a tune? Do you play other tunes and songs for fun? Is there a difference between learning and playing?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Learning and playing are essentially the same for me, once I learned how to listen faster.

My learning system (Thanks Ennis):
7 segments of listening
7 segments of practicing
7 segments of playing
Then you are in real trouble...
southport

Post by southport »

markbell wrote:Definitely keep learning new tunes. If your experience is like mine, you may find that the old tune sounds better even if neglected for a while, because technique improves, even though playing other songs.
I agree with markbell. I have gone back and revisited tunes that I had learned in the past but was a little too advanced for me at the time. The second time around some of the problems that I had on the first try seemed to have gone away.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

mutepointe wrote:I've learned all my instruments informally. I have a couple of questions.

Are you learning one tune at a time and only moving on to another tune after you master a tune? Do you play other tunes and songs for fun? Is there a difference between learning and playing?
I'm a dreadful magpie, I hear a tune and I want to try it, so I listen, I try and play along then I dig out the dots and the whole thing usually comes together that way.

I'm very guilty of not really really learning a tune properly before moving on.

But I do go back over old tunes, especially if I have not been able to keep up in a session on a tune I thought I knew. I'll always give those a going over and this is how I've improved.

I really only play for fun for my own amusement. With no one but myself to please I can do what I like. :devil:

When I had to play some tunes for a performance, I hated them by the end of the month. But I suppose I can play them, if only I wanted to :lol:
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
jking01

Post by jking01 »

i would take quality over quantity though, especially if you plan to play in a session. I also believe that practising ornaments etc should be a major part of the learning experience. Short rolls, long rolls all the way up and down with crans included etc. Its way to easy just playing our favourite tunes we know :)
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I think I'm the one who mentioned stress and reversion -- though it occurs to me that many people on this board probably don't ever play under really stressful conditions, like for a wedding (and I know for a fact that a number do). A related thing I've read (though I don't know if it's true or not) is that for each time you practice something wrong, you have to practice it 10x to un-learn and re-learn correctly.

I am currently working on some tunes that are well beyond my abilities. My plan is to never learn them incorrectly. I can only play them at about 30% of up-to-speed. But that's how fast I can play them without making mistakes, and I want to play them properly some day, so I won't go any faster until "some day" arrives. :thumbsup:
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Naomi's Fancy quit playing weddings because of the stress involved. They mainly book fun gigs.

If you can cover expenses plus a bit in the pocket and have fun, that is better pay than lots more money, stress and unreasonable conditions with little or no fun.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

highland-piper wrote:...snip...A related thing I've read (though I don't know if it's true or not) is that for each time you practice something wrong, you have to practice it 10x to un-learn and re-learn correctly...snip...
the adage we've all heard all our lives is "practice makes perfect." i disagree with that emphatically. if you practice mistakes you perfect the mistakes. the reality is that "perfect practice makes perfect."

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
david_h

Post by david_h »

Somewhere I read "practice makes permanent".

I'm not far enough on to have anything much to revert from, but listening to other versions usually changes the way I play a tune, and trying to play along with them almost always does. I think some of it sticks. I'm avoiding stress though. :D
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Much to be said about quality of learning, practice and playing, but I'll leave that aside for now.
The more tunes you expose yourself to (listening and learning) the more phrases and strings of notes you'll have in your head and under your fingers. New tunes will also help to polish and refine old tunes.

That said, let's talk about practice. Sometimes you get to a point where you are as good as you are going to be at this moment in time and hammering the same tune under your fingers in the same way only makes it that more permanent in your muscle memory (and more frustrating). I typically spend a few weeks really working on a tune (not necessarily neglecting learning or practicing others) to make for a fluent and confident playing of that tune but at some point you have to let it be what it is for the time being until you develop additional skills to bring it to the next level. I believe that many of those skills are found in learning new tunes which introduce your fingers and brain to more and more segments of notes and strings of phrases. Harping on the same tune over and over again makes for very narrowed skill development. While you don't want to be an inch deep and a mile wide on your repertoire (playing many tunes poorly) there is a balance to be found so try broadening the scope a bit. Just a quick thought on the matter.