whistle key for beginners - yes I know, the high d:(

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
carmelite
antispam: No

whistle key for beginners - yes I know, the high d:(

Post by carmelite »

Hey guys,

So, pretty much everyone says that if you are new to the whistle, you should start with the high D. I really would like to take expert advice with grace, but I can hardly stand the sound of the high D. The pitch sounds so ghastly to my ears, and it bugs my husband even more (HUGE apologies, by the way, to those of you who play and/or love this instrument, it's just not to my taste). It's like the difference between the flute and the piccolo, the latter of which I just find terribly annoying.

So, can I please, please start on a lower keyed whistle? An F maybe? G? D? A? Anything?
Has anyone here started off with a lower whistle and done well?

I adore the sound of the low whistles. G still is a bit high for me, but not unpleasant. F's are just lovely. I don't plan on running out anytime soon and playing with other people, so it matters little to me if I play in an awkward key (one that will be harder to sink up with the larger band). I'll probably be doing a whole lot of practicing at home by myself, and I figure that by the time I feel ready to play with others, I can get another whistle, maybe a low D or C.

Also, I'm thinking of going with a Dixon for my first whistle. They seem relatively inexpensive, but get decent quality reviews. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice, and once again, humble apologies to anyone I may have insulted.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: whistle key for beginners - yes I know, the high d:(

Post by DrPhill »

That's how I started. I wanted to play low whistle, but was persuaded to get a high whistle. A susato at that (loud!). I disliked the sounds I was producing and almost gave up. Then I got bold and bought a low whistle. Its taken more than a year of regular practice so far, but I am starting to make headway. And strangely enough, a quieter high D whistle and improved ability have me warming a little to the high whistle now.

You may have problems with the stretch - learn the 'pipers grip'. This forum has many posts about it, an especially good one by MTGuru if I recall correctly. I think low D first is a more difficult route, but then you need the motivation of making sounds you like.

And welcome to this forum. I regard it as one of my essential resources learning whistle.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi and welcome.
I think this is always a tricky question to answer and
everyone will have their own view on it,
but here's my take.

The Low D whistle isn't an easy place to start but as DrPhill said it
can be done it'll just take that bit longer but well worth the effort.
I would say start with something like a Tony Dixon one piece Low D
they cost about £42/$68 and IMO not a bad whistle for the money.
It will certainly give you a good idea as to whether you're going to
get on with playing whistle or not(presuming you're new to all this).
I know some would say try an 'F' or 'G' because the finger stretch
is much less but I find that most, but not all by any means, ITM recordings
and tutorials such as http://www.tradlessons.com/?cat=4
can be played along to on a D whistle so I would go for a 'D' whistle

There's always the option of getting something like a Parks Every whistle high D,
similar price to the Dixon http://www.parkswhistles.com/
and using the mute ring to lessen the volume.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Nick
Happiness is taking things as they are.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Since you can pick up a playable D whistle for $15 or so there's no reason not to. You can use it when you try to pay along with recordings of others, which are nearly always in D.

Get a low G too if you like. Then you can do most of your practice on the G and use the D for picking up tunes off recordings (or from others).

You'll find that even high D whistles will take more breath than you have, but that's something you will develop with time. Lower whistles seem to take more air than higher, so you'll have an added difficulty playing one. Since I play pipes now, whistles take relatively zero air. Playing a D whistle for more than a few minutes used to leave me light headed, but not I can play just about forever.

I like the way lower whistles sound too, but alas, my lowest is a Generation Bb.
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

I think you'd really want to stick to a D whistle starting off as tutorial recordings and tin whistle music theory is all based around a D whistle. You'll be needing to play along with some sort of tutorial recordings so you're going to need a D whistle for that. This will also help you towards learning by ear by sticking to the same key you're hearing and practising to these recordings. The music theory discussed in tutorials and by people who play tin whistle, sheet music, notes, fingering etc. is all related to a D whistle.

If you think you can handle the stretch of a low D whistle or flute, you could always try that route instead. The Dixon low D as recommended above would be a good choice for a beginner in low whistles. I think you're going to find the stretch awkward though.

Heres a quick video review of the Dixon low D where you can hear the tone:
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movie.php? ... 20_D_a.wmv
jvann

Post by jvann »

I started on high d, but really liked the sound of the low d. I looked at all of the various options and thought that I might have a good experience with it if I found a custom maker with reasonable prices and a good reputation. Based on recommendations here, I contacted Mack Hoover and he made a very nice low d to my specs that I like very much. Relatively low breath requirements, easy fingering, excellent sound, for a great price. He'll work with you to craft a whistle based on your needs(as would any of the good makers on here) and he's a fantastic guy to work with.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I don't think it matters so much what you play on but your end goal should play a part in your decision. If you're not planning to ever play a high D with other musicians then there isn't much benefit to playing one now. The only issue with not playing the key of D will be when trying to learn by ear from audio tutorials or commercial recordings in that key (I do believe aural learning is extremely important, btw).

If you are going by written tutorials then the fingerings are the same and are typically named by the D scale regardless of the instrument key. Play what makes you happy. I myself prefer to use my Feadog C or Generation Bb when playing alone rather than the sometimes piercing high D.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

carmelite...

Welcome. And your ear sounds exactly like my own! Can't stand playing any whistle higher than Low F. (Feels like brain damage is occurring :o )
Years ago, started with a high d and a Low F...wanted that "low" sound. Soon shed the high d, and have never looked back.
Having medium-small hands, for a guy, my range is from Low D to Low F. (With some Low Ds being too big to handle...sigh)
I like many musical styles and types...so if you're into Irish Traditional music...first and foremost...you might be better off listening to others here, who are better able to give advice.

Good Luck!!!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ok, get yourself 2 pairs of HEAROS high fidelity ear filters or the like for you and your spouse; saves your hearing, greatly reduces volume yet maintains pitch. I would say, if you just play for yourself and the fingerings are all the same, just get whatever key you like best; but, most of what you'll hear is in D and it would probably be a real good idea to learn on a soprano D whistle.

Also, try some whistles that don't have to be pushed to great volume; the sound of a high D whistle is heavenly when coming from a good player (person, not whistle).

All the best,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
carmelite

Post by carmelite »

Thanks so much for the replies, and keep 'em coming. It's nice to hear everyone's individual experiences.

I do like Irish music, but I'm certainly not attached to sticking just with the Irish Traditional. I've been a singer for a long time, dabbled a bit in guitar, and have been looking for an instrument that really catches my fancy. I'm just really wanting more music and artistic expression in my life lately (thinking of taking up weaving as well). I feel like I have a better ear for melodies than for chords, so I thought I'd try out the wind instruments and, of all the wind instruments I've ever heard, I really love the sound of the low whistles. I'd be happy to play any kind of music on my whistle that it is suited to.

As far as the D being easier for tutorials, that is a really good point. I'm thinking deeply about that one right now. There are several Whistle instructors in the town where I live, so if I do decide to start off with a more unusual key, I may just try to get some lessons in person (and hope the teacher doesn't send me right out to get a D:)

On the other hand, those high D's are pretty cheap, so I guess it couldn't hurt to get one along with whatever else I think I might like more.

Still pondering.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Carmelite, you're not alone! ! I have sensitive ears and just about killed myself trying to play in the "official" key of Irish music, the high D.
I came to rest with a low A aluminum whistle--the sound is achingly good and even the highest second-octave note doesn't hurt me. My fingers will stretch so I don't have to learn the piper's grip (laziness, I know)!
It also frees me from the earplugs I always used to have to wear with a D whistle.
A whistle is a whistle no matter the length; I love the way that none of them sound like flutes.
So enjoy whatever you choose, a low F, low D or whatever. There are no rules here (unless you play in sessions).
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Tou-Che
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tou-Che »

I was in the same boat as you. I went with a Hi C whistle. I bought a burke whistle which is very nice and i still prefer it but since I have been going to sessions more and more the D would have been a better fit but whatever thats what my pipes are for. I actually have a low G whistle Im trying to sell because I have regs on the way, If your interested shoot me a PM.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Play any whistle in any key you want. There are no rules. I don't play ITM at all. I play everything else. I just like the sound of irish whistles and flutes and ocarinas and concertinas. A Bb can usually be had in your local music store and has a low enough sound to not pierce your ears. Buy a few cheap whistles, even in different keys. Keep them handy all over the place, including your car, so that you have quick access to play any time. If you're going to use whistles for other music and play with other people, you'll want whistles in an assortment of keys anyway. My fingers quickly got use to the different sizes (and different hole spans) of the whistles. Let us know how it goes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
janmarie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by janmarie »

Hi and Welcome Carmelite!
I had a similar beginning experience with the high D being tooooo high. At the beginning I bought a low D, a low G, a C and don't regret it one minute. Then I really started listening to the music and found it easier to match pitches with the high D helping me learn easier. Then I started taking lessons using the high D. That made lessons easier and also I could transfer the tunes to my other low whistles. My family also complained about the high D. I play in the basement alot and upstairs when they're gone! The car has been a good place to practice too. I found the low whistles present many different challenges but at least havng a fair experience of the tune on the high D as far as phrasing, articulations and ornaments I could approach the low whistles with a better idea of the tune. Still working on the piper's grip. Then I also bought a quieter high D. I still think I'll get some ear plugs for my practice on the high D but I have become more comfortable with the pitch. My low whistles are my real joys though. Good luck, have fun and play what you like to hear!
janmarie
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

riverman wrote:Carmelite, you're not alone! ! I have sensitive ears and just about killed myself trying to play in the "official" key of Irish music, the high D.

I used to think that whistles were loud and annoying, but playing in a pipe band brings a whole new perspective. :boggle: :love: