Are there no chiffers in Chicago?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

I just read a thread with all these people in Tulsa got together at a CD party.

I don't think I've heard from one person on this board from Chicago. I mean, Chicago is an Irish town right? Mayor Daley? South Side?

I'm jonesing to go to a live session to watch, but no one I know has the bug. I've never been so I don't know where is good.

Except for my kids and on the net, I've never even seen someone else PLAY a whistle.

I want to attend or start a slow session Or take lessons.......

Is any one else surrounded by non-whistling people?
Life is good. Hard, but good.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I am surrounded by whistle haters. In fact, I am going in front of a pit of vipers (local arts council) to see if they'll support the Celtic Music Festival that I am producing. They don't let outsiders in, and the whistle is considered an outsider's instument here. Only thing acceptable is plugged in guitars and BAD drummers! they even dislike bodhran players here, not loud enough! I am surrounded by cowboy C&W bands, and a few superannuated folk singers from the 60's!
energy

Post by energy »

Hey Bagfed.

Yup, there are chiffers in Chicago. The two that come to mind are cskinner and Pat Cannady.

I live about two hours west of the city, myself, and have been in there for sessions only once. It was a good session, played at a fairly slow tempo, at Cullen's Bar and Grill. I don't remember the address. It was led by Jimmy Keane and Sean Clelland, two very good musicians, very fun. Not a "slow" session per se, but they take it slow, as many of the participants are Sean's fiddle students. There were a couple of whistlers. It's on the north side, though, so I bet you want to find something on your side of town. I'm sure someone else will have a good suggestion for your area...
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I think Otter lives somewhere in or around Chicago.

jim
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Count me in as a Chicago whistler. Grew up on the South Side and have now migrated to the western suburbs (Naperville). I know there is a relatively new session here in Naperville on Monday nights, and I have a link at work that shows many of the sessions in the Chicagoland area. I'll post when I get the chance.

I've been contemplating going to a session, but my schedule has been really busy lately (plus I'm not very good yet).

Bagfed, what part of town do you live in?

John Mac
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Don't forget Jim Conway too.
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2003-01-25 23:03, goesto11 wrote:
Count me in as a Chicago whistler. Grew up on the South Side and have now migrated to the western suburbs (Naperville). I know there is a relatively new session here in Naperville on Monday nights, and I have a link at work that shows many of the sessions in the Chicagoland area. I'll post when I get the chance.

John Mac
:eek: Naperville?? And sessions in Naperville? :eek: I am so surprised! I lived in Naperville until I was 5 years old while my father went to the Chiropractic College in Lombard. (We moved to northern Wisconsin after that.) Of course I don't remember much of the area besides a few things but 20-something years ago it was a lot smaller, I bet (and without any sessions).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2003-01-26 13:11 ]</font>
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

From what I understand, Naperville has exploded.

Isn't it one of the largest towns in Illinois now?

Everyone who wants to get away from the city moves out there right?

When I was younger I drove all the way to Rockford in the snow to go to a skateboard park for the day, so a ride to Naperville wouldn't bother me...if it was a good session.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Dude, are you kidding? There's so much Irish music in Chicago that it might explode if not diffused before too long. Let's see.... Larry Nugent, Liz Caroll, Kevin Henry, John Williams, Isaac Alderson, Dennis Cahil (I think).... etc, etc, etc.... get craicing!
Chris
energy

Post by energy »

On 2003-01-26 15:13, ChrisLaughlin wrote:
Dude, are you kidding? There's so much Irish music in Chicago that it might explode if not diffused before too long. Let's see.... Larry Nugent, Liz Caroll, Kevin Henry, John Williams, Isaac Alderson, Dennis Cahil (I think).... etc, etc, etc.... get craicing!
Chris
Liz Knowles, Jimmy Keane, Kieran O'Hare, Christy Barry(I think)...and many other very fine musicians.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6