A book I think you might like

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mick Woodruff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A book I think you might like

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Hello everyone. Though I've not been actively involved in the C&F whistle forum for some time I hope you will welcome this message announcing the imminent availability of my wife's book titled, To England With Love. I am drawing attention to it here because I believe it will be of interest to whistle players, especially those of you interested in traditional music, and those who might be familiar with my web site, Mick's Virtual Whistle. I met my wife (Karen Davidson Woodruff) as a direct result of my site and because of our shared love of the whistle and traditional music. The book falls into the categories autobiography/music/travel and tells the story of how Karen's early life and love of music and especially traditional music changed her life and lead her to move to England to marry me - and certainly changed my life! If you are curious please check out the book in a bit more detail by following this link

Thanks and greetings and best wishes to you all, especially the senior members of C&F who remember when I was more visible around here! :-)

Mick
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: A book I think you might like

Post by StevieJ »

Hello Mick

Good to hear from you. You might think that senior members wouldn't remember anything very much, but I certainly remember the time when you (and indeed I) were more active on here. Aye, it were fun back then!

Congratulations to both of you on making a success of a transcultural and transcontinental union and esp. to Karen for writing the book. I'll look out for it.

Steve

PS I trust you're still at it? The whistling, I mean. Hope so. All the best.
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Hello Mick,

It's good to see you are still lurking out there. I don't come on much myself these days, there's only so much you can say about whistles :) although I am tootin' away as always and still love it.
All my very best to you and Karen, I will have a read of the book.

Dave.
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Thanks, Steve and Dave, the men with two of the very best whistle sites on the Internet! It's good to make contact again. You are actually making me feel kind of nostalgic here!

Life has been interesting since those days around the turn of the millennium when we all spent so much time here. I do still love playing whistles and (more occasionally) flutes, and rarely does a day pass when I don't spend at least a few minutes playing some tunes. Would love to devote more time to developing my playing...there's always room for improvement, in my case at least. ;-) My web site has languished somewhat for some time with no recent tune additions but I have a few tunes I'd like to record and get online - I always have the best of intentions when it comes to updating my site but I never seem to be able to knuckle down to the work...hopefully, I'll get round to it before too long. Too many things to do and not enough time to do them...

Anyone ever fancy trying their hand at one of those Internet music collaborations again? It might be fun. I'm thinking back to the days of the C&F International Ceili Band... :-) Pipe on the Hob...Hector the Hero... Come to think about it, that's as far as it ever went! Well, just a thought.

Anyway, Dave and Steve, I hope you are both keeping well and enjoying your lives. Really nice to hear from you both. If you manage to get hold of a copy of Karen's book, I hope you enjoy it. My life is now an open book...which is a bit unsettling. ;-)

Mick
DaveAuty
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

I always have the best of intentions when it comes to updating my site but I never seem to be able to knuckle down to the work...hopefully, I'll get round to it before too long.
Ditto Mick, I definitely had more enthusiasm back in the older days of whistle sites. I've only got a laptop now and that doesn't record so well...anyway thats my story and i'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

Dave.
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Just an update for those who might be interested:

Since drawing attention to my wife's book there have been some problems with Amazon who were reporting that the book was out of print or not yet released. Both these claims were incorrect but there seems to have been a problem with stock not arriving at Amazon.com on time. Amazon.com should have a supply very soon, so anyone who might be interested should take another look. Sales at Amazon.co.uk appear to have been going well as they have almost sold all their current stock.

Mick
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Let's see how many more old chiff&fipple geezers get pulled in here. Mick and I generally send each other a long email at Christmas time, though I'm ashamed to say it's always Mick who writes first. Haven't seen Dave's name pop up since about Windows 3.1 or so. I'll just add that I got slack with whistle practice for the last 6months or so due to other stuff getting in the way. Now, I'm back at it full guns. Might even post a tune before long. Hope everyone is well.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
DaveAuty

Post by DaveAuty »

Hello Tony,

Well I definitely qualify for geezer status... probably old on the front of that :) and similarly have been busy doing other stuff. I will pop over to clipsandsnips and post a tune, not done that for ages!
Mick, the book arrived today so they are about.

Dave.