A joyous day for whistles! (For me, anyway.)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Protean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

A joyous day for whistles! (For me, anyway.)

Post by Protean »

I just wanted to post this somewhere where people might appreciate it.

So, last week I received my Blackbird, which is such an amazing piece of work. I've been playing it like mad and it treats me very well! Then, yesterday I received my Domnahl na Gruen low D whistle, my first foray into the low whistle arena, and I've been having a blast with it. It requires a bit more air than the Blackbird... :) Now, today, my full set of Syn whistles arrived.

Safe to say that I'm in whistle heaven right now. That is all.
pipersgrip

Re: A joyous day for whistles! (For me, anyway.)

Post by pipersgrip »

ah... I remember those days. :puppyeyes: Lucky man.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Wow, so you pretty much blew the whole lifetime whistle budget all at once.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Protean wrote:I just wanted to post this somewhere where people might appreciate it :) Now, today, my full set of Syn whistles arrived.

Safe to say that I'm in whistle heaven right now. That is all.

Whooo hooooo...... :thumbsup: :party: great start on your collection.
:party: Guess you realize there is no stopping. There is another whistle out there calling your name. FWIW... I found the Syn whistles very nice and play similar to a Snidt whistle.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
starstutu

Post by starstutu »

You must have a Sugar Mama, does she have a sister???
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

starstutu wrote:You must have a Sugar Mama, does she have a sister???
Wonder what the deal is. He's not that good-looking.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

mutepointe wrote:
Thanks for that... :p

I make a Los Angeles salary in Pensacola. That's pretty much what it boils down to. That and the huge tax refund I got this year. I didn't even mention the other things I picked up, such as a Susato (wanted to try out the S series and I needed a backup plan in case the Syns didn't arrive in time) or the Xaphoon (still waiting on that one to come in). That's just in the world of music. I also picked up a lawn mower, which I am now semi-regretting. Lawn looks better, but man does it suck to cut grass... :(
riverman

Post by riverman »

Bravo, Protean, have a blast!

I remember a time when I ordered a Clarke Meg tinwhistle, and somehow almost forgot it.
One day soon after, I was whistling in my basement "practice room" (you know, where the furnace is)! My wife and kids had climbed into the car to go shopping, but she came back into the basement with a big grin, and handed me a box. There was the Meg! I happily played and played until, two hours later, I heard her car come back into the driveway.

Enjoy whistle heaven! It's a good place! :D
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Can you tell us anything more about your Domnahl whistle? I have seen very little about him on the web. He will be making a low D for me shortly, once he gets my size requirements. I haven't been able to play since a poorly-healed hand injury. I still manage to struggle along with the flute, but the D whistle became a lost cause. He told me he specializes in these types of situations, and I am very hopeful about it now.
Playing, not paying.
Protean

Post by Protean »

I haven't played any low whistle but my Domnahl, so I have nothing to compare it to. I can only tell you what I've observed.

The whistle is very breathy, though I think that may be largely from me simply providing too much breath. If I really focus, I can get a pretty clear tone out of the lowest few notes. The whistle is much larger (diameter) than I expected, but again, not having any low whistle experience, it may be average size and I just wasn't expecting it. What shocked me the most about the whistle is how light it is! It's a relatively thin-walled whistle, and being aluminum, not very dense. The finger spacing is, of course, larger than a high whistle, but nothing that I can't handle. I don't even bother with piper's grip. It requires a moderate amount of breath control and I find myself overshooting the second octave sometimes. It's got a beautiful tone and it a blast to play. It's also gotten some funny reactions from people who don't know that low whistles exist and are used to seeing me with my high D's. :)
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Thanks! I'll let you know how I like mine....it'll be a while though! He's a very friendly and re-assuring individual, so I am confident it will be worth the wait.
Playing, not paying.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Protean wrote:
mutepointe wrote:
Thanks for that... :p
..... That's just in the world of music. I also picked up a lawn mower, which I am now semi-regretting. Lawn looks better, but man does it suck to cut grass... :(
Well at least you didn't have to CLIP it. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
elwalti

Post by elwalti »

Hey Protean, could you tell me where you got the full set of Syn whistles and what you think of them? I've just started looking at getting a full set myself, but haven't found a full set to buy yet.
Feed the soul art and music -- it will live forever.

Erin
Placeholder

Post by Placeholder »

You can reach Erle through these forums, just send a PM to "syn whistles", it's how I got in touch with when I bought my full set of syns.
Protean

Post by Protean »

I sent elwati a PM about the whistles. You can also reach Erle via e-mail at "synwhistles (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au". I ordered mine directly from him. (His e-mail address is actually listed on C&F -- http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Expens.html)