First gig tonight!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

First gig tonight!

Post by brewerpaul »

Well, Shenanigans embarks on it's inaugural whirlwind tour tonight with a debut at the Baptist Adult Home in Glenville NY. :D
OK, it's not Carnegie Hall, but it IS a paying gig, so I'm officially a professional musician!
Tomorrow, this tour ends at the Beukendaal Masonic Hall in Scotia, NY. Again, a paying gig (pretty well paying too, for a 40 minute set).
Then, we'll just let the rave reviews roll in and brace ourselves for more bookings than we can possibly handle.

Seriously, this should be a lot of fun.. I'm playing multiple whistles (not simultaneously) and mandolin. The rest of the band includes a guitar/vocalist, bodhran and a box/octave mando/banjitar player.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DrPhill

Re: First gig tonight!

Post by DrPhill »

Good luck, I am sure all will go well.

I bet it will be a real buzz.

Tell us how it went when you come back down.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sounds like great fun. Good for you Paul.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Have fun! I've started doing pretty much
the same thing with an established band.
Playing with good musicians for an
appreciative audience is the best feeling!

We were supposed to play at a retirement
home tomorrow afternoon, but there was
a flu outbreak, so that was canceled. :(

Are you using amplification? I've had a few
hiccups trying to mic the whistles. I'd like
to hear how you setup...
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Have fun, Paul!
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kennychaffin »

Congrats! Looking for a fully report on how it went!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Dain

Post by Dain »

Good Luck.

I just had my first last month and it was a blast. Not really a retirement center, more of a fallout shelter. :D

If anxious, drink spirits and beer. :)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

The gig last night was a great deal of fun. We had about 60-70 people in the audience and they really seemed to enjoy our playing, and even the rotten Irish jokes.
If any of you have the chance, I'd recommend playing for folks in old age homes. Even if you don't think you're very good, the residents will appreciate the heck out of it. Lets face it, life in these homes gets to be very routine sometimes and any diversion at all is really welcomed. It's a good thing to do for them, and if you have any stage fright it's a great, non-threatening way to get your feet wet in performing in public.
Got wood?
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

brewerpaul wrote:The gig last night was a great deal of fun. We had about 60-70 people in the audience and they really seemed to enjoy our playing, and even the rotten Irish jokes.
If any of you have the chance, I'd recommend playing for folks in old age homes. Even if you don't think you're very good, the residents will appreciate the heck out of it. Lets face it, life in these homes gets to be very routine sometimes and any diversion at all is really welcomed. It's a good thing to do for them, and if you have any stage fright it's a great, non-threatening way to get your feet wet in performing in public.
:thumbsup: Glad it was fun.

I heard this same suggestion on the NPR program "From the Top" talking about great places to learn to perform.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

I agree with Paul, and I work(ed) for many years in nursing homes here in England. The residents are so pleased to have somebody who is prepared to do something with them that they will love it, no matter what it is! I used to take a whistle to work every Sunday, and on a quiet Sunday afternoon we would have little singsongs. I can assure you that this is the only place I would play on my own, like that, except busking at Sidmouth, but they just enjoyed it so much. I was sometimes too busy, of course, but always on a Sunday would be asked if I had "my little flute" with me, and if we were going to sing. And their singing was AWFUL! We would all end up laughing, at my wrong notes and their "variations", but they appreciated it so much.

If you have a Home near you, ask if they would like a little entertainment! I did hymns of their choice (it was Sunday) and folk songs, the ones my grandmother taught me, so they were the right "era". I would say, "You know Oh No John No, don't you?" Big sea of blank faces, so I would give them a run-through of the tune - "Oh, yes, we know that!" Just don't give them too much jazz! We had a saxophonist once who jazzed them up, and they kept asking very loudly for "Sister's little flute" - most embarrassing! But if you want to get into playing in public, with very little stress, it is great, and you will enjoy it as much as the residents do!
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

ditto the above. i've just come home from playing at a nursing home about 20 miles away. it was a great 2 hour show. lots of fun... lots of laughing... lots of very happy eyes. they were a great audience. i've been playing pubs for so long, i forgot what it was like to do a "non-pub" show. i had a blast. played some guitar, sang, played whistle, played flute, told some really bad jokes... picked on bag-pipers and accordians a lot! all in all, all were had by a great time. i hope to play there often.

good luck with your gigs, paul.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Well, Shenanigans embarks on it's inaugural whirlwind tour tonight with a debut at the Baptist Adult Home in Glenville NY.
Eh??? How come no one told me? I played in Shenanigans for three years, I didn't know we were having a reunion tour!!
:D :boggle: :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

brewerpaul wrote:OK, it's not Carnegie Hall...
Paul,

Cherish The Ladies played a retirement village here last night. So chin up!

Carey

PS - good show too (it was open to the public as long as they had seats.)
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Good for the Ladies! They're very generous and giving lasses.

We had our second gig the night following the first. This time was a local Masonic Hall. Opening act was a local Irish dance school.
Everything went well. We got some really useful feedback from some of the audience regarding sound balance, pacing of the act etc which we can use in the future.
Got wood?
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

brewerpaul wrote: If any of you have the chance, I'd recommend playing for folks in old age homes. Even if you don't think you're very good, the residents will appreciate the heck out of it. Lets face it, life in these homes gets to be very routine sometimes and any diversion at all is really welcomed. It's a good thing to do for them, and if you have any stage fright it's a great, non-threatening way to get your feet wet in performing in public.
I've heard that music is one of the last things to go when you start losing your memory. I played for my father-in-law at a rest home in the Alzheimer's ward of a rest home. After 15 or 20 minutes even the most detatched patients were tapping feet and clapping.

One elderly woman said to me after a set of jigs, "Good Hurlin'."

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes