telescoping laughing whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I saw it under the "reviews" section of Chiff and Fipple. Does anyone have any of these (high D telescoping whistle)? I'm very curious about it, it looks fascinating! How is it to play, and is it subject to WhOA?
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I don't own one, but I have had one in my posession for several weeks. The telescoping feature didn't seem very valuable to me because it takes a bit of time and effort to get it set correctly, and once you have it right you don't want to disturb it.
It's by no means a sturdy whistle, either in construction or sound. The sound is very in-tune, very sweet and pure, and low volume.
It's a good whistle for playing alone, especially if you have a spouse or cat. To me the price seems high for what you get. I've never played an O'Briain improved, but I gather it's a similar sounding product (maybe a bit quieter than the Laughing) and costs a lot less. Even one of Mack Hoovers units will cost you less, and it comes with impeccable credentials for sweetness and purity of sound.

Tom.
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I tried a laughing whistle recently and was really impressed with the sweet tone. One of my customers had one in his pocket and let me have a go. He mentioned that he seldom collapses his because it does take some work to get it right again. It had a really pretty blade design, almost a V shape. I found the second octave to be slightly harder to play because it seemed to have too much backpressure. My guess was that the blade needed lifting a tiny bit. This is probably limited to this one whistle and would not be a concern to me. As the other person mentioned, it was quiet but quiet whistles can be a real bonus sometimes!

Again, I thought it was a really sweet little whistle and I am surprised I haven't seen or heard of more of them!

Sandy

Edited because I can't spell!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sandy Jasper on 2003-01-10 19:47 ]</font>
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

There is some variety of 'quality' - and also some variety of what people look for in a whistle's sound - but when you find an excellent one, nothing compares, in my opinion. I've talked to people who love his work, people who are ambivalent, and people who didn't care at all for their laughing whistles. And more often than not I end up buying the laughing whistles of owners who are willing to sell. :grin:

I got my first laughing D a year ago this month, and it is my favorite whistle in the world - quiet, sweet, pure throughout the second octave, forgiving of my fingering bad-habits, easy to half hole. I would hate to have anything happen to it and have been trying to locate a "spare" that I can bring traveling and so forth. To that end, I've bought four additional laughing high D's in the past year, some new and some used, and they all sound different. Intriguing and frustrating at the same time :smile: In the next few months I'm going to try to decide between the three possible spares I currently have, based on the sound I am most looking for personally, and sell the other two here on the board (with sound clips!).

For a whistle with definite variation in sound from sample to sample, it's very expensive, currently priced around $75 I believe - his website wasn't updated as of my last visit this summer. You generally need to cross finger c natural as OXXXOX to get the most in-tune pitch.

Any other questions, feel free to contact me here or by email.
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

On 2003-01-10 18:55, avanutria wrote:

I got my first laughing D a year ago this month, and it is my favorite whistle in the world - quiet, sweet, pure throughout the second octave, forgiving of my fingering bad-habits, easy to half hole.
I have one that I carry in a fanny pack whenever I go out. Mine is definitely one of the good ones, with the principal problem that the segments are a little loose and when I'm playing they sometimes telescope out of tune inadvertently. It's particularly even in volume from octave to octave; the first octave is a shade quieter than my Sindt (i.e., fairly quiet but not inaudible) but the second is noticeably quieter than the Sindt's. It does have a tendency to clog.

For a whistle with definite variation in sound from sample to sample, it's very expensive, currently priced around $75
If I recall correctly (which is questionable), when he semi-retired from his whistle-making to devote his time to school he posted to the board that he was raising his prices to cut down on the number of orders.

John
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

There has been a LOTS of talk about laughing whistles on the board in the past, just not recently.

I'm surprised to hear some people say extenting the whistle to play it is difficult or time consuming: Didn't take more than 30 seconds to uncollapse mine and start playing, never had any problems with that, and the sections all stayed put till I wanted to collapse the whistle again.

Downsides for me were the colgging and unbalanced octaves - the second being much louder than the first, to my ear.

I sold mine, never really cottoned to the sound and octave thing.

Loren
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

One of the ones I bought used, used to be Loren's. :grin:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2003-01-10 20:31, avanutria wrote:
One of the ones I bought used, used to be Loren's. :grin:
Just out of curiosity Beth,

How does my old one sound and play compared to the other ones you've played?

Loren
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Good enough for me to want to buy it!

I've been doing some frankensteinian stuff here, swapping parts from whistle to whistle. I'll try to figure out which was yours, reassemble, and email you :smile:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cool. Although no need to go to any trouble for me, I'm just curious. How do you know which parts are from which whistle? I'd have lost track as soon as I started swapping things around, LOL!

Loren
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Loren, check your private messages.

This one came through me. I would have kept it but was paring down my inventory. I have another Laughing Whistle that's not for sale. It was my first "high end" whistle although looking at what I've recently been acquiring, "high end" certainly seems relative.

My laughing whistle, the one I kept, no longer has the little clay stuff or what ever it is that Noah uses to narrow the windway. I wouldn't have it any other way. It gives a softer sound that I absolutley love. This is the whistle that taught me how to be patient and helped get me through some particularly bad times in my life. It hangs out near my "little Buddha dude" statue.

jim

jim
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

You see my problem! LOL

Actually since I got them one at a time, it's been ok. I make note of the shape of the wax over the mouthpiece, then I know which top is which, and match up the tarnish! lol
livethe question

Beth,

I got my new Abell set this week. They are worlds apart in so many ways but the Abell D puts me in mind of my Laughing Whistle soundwise. Someday maybe we'll be in the same geographical place and you can give it a try and let me know what you think. (my Metloef bodhran is due in tomorrow or Monday)

jim
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Oops. Glad you posted, Jim, I had thought that Loren's was the one I got through Greg. :smile:

I will be coming through your way again in late May, Jim - if you've got couch space for a whistler or two maybe we can trade a few tunes that night? :smile:

Edit - and did you ever get your Halpin?? Send me a review!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2003-01-10 21:49 ]</font>
livethe question

Keep in touch Beth and I'll see what I can do. I may be in Texas visiting my folks around Memorial Day.....but then again I may not. Would love to meet you, and any others traveling with you, in person. I do know that I'm needing a "Colorado fix". I've missed my annual trip for the last two summers. Utah isn't that much farther, is it?

jim