New Whistler Posting!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WheelieWhistler

New Whistler Posting!

Post by WheelieWhistler »

Hello to you all! My name is Christina and I am 28 years old and live in Central Massachusetts. I have spastic cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair. I spend most of my time in doors between December-May and have decided to take up whistling as a new hobby ro improve my fine motor function and lung fuction. I'm of Irish and Italian decent and although my apperance screams Italian my Heart screams Ireland. (Along the way I began studying Judaism) I'm a mutt. This website has been very helpful in helping me make my first whisltle choice. I knew I wanted a whistle Made in Ireland. I went to the Feadog website and chose the Feadog Triple Pack. My whistle is in D as I read that most Irish Music uses a D whistle and it's in brass. While this was not my first choice for finish (I would have perferred Nickel) it would have cost $1.50 to change the finish. I bought the Triple Pack because it includes the D whistle, method book and CD of method book songs being played on the whistle. Base price $18.50 less Shipping. I'm more excited then a kid at Christmas. More Detaile to Come!
Jason Paul

Re: New Whistler Posting!

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi Christina and welcome to the forums!

The Feadóg is one of the best of the cheap whistles in my opinion. It was a little difficult to play at first, but after taking a little time to get used to it, it has become a favorite. Just take your time and work on blowing gently on those lower notes. It can be a little too easy to blow it into the second register.

Jason
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Hi Cristina, welcome to C&F, and the exciting world of whistles.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Welcome Christina, you've come to the right place. While whistling is a good thing to do indoors, it's also great outdoors. And in pubs, and churches, and stairwells, and parked cars and ... well, you'll see.

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Hi Christina! Welcome to the crazy world of whistling. The Feadog triple-pack was the first one to grace our home. My mother (who had a strong Irish heritage) received it as a Christmas present. While the Feadog is not one of my favorites, I've heard some beautiful music played on them by others. Hope it brings you tons of fun!

Judy
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Welcome Christina, from another learner. This forum is a great place to ask questions and learn.
I am enjoying learning to whistle and I am sure you will too.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Hi and welcome,

A Feadog triple-pack eh? You gonna play all three at once?!

I'm confused as ever...
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hello Christina,

I too would recommend the Feadog.
It does seem to be the best of the mass produced whistles and its widely distributed = cheap and easy to get hold of.

I am in Scotland.
I just returned to serious whistle playing a couple of months ago, but I have been playing since I was a child.
You can play lots of music on the whistle, not just Irish music.
Its also used for Scottish music and in the north of England it gets used in folk music and sea shantys, especially in the Liverpool and Newcastle areas.

You can even play classical if you want:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a5oVAkG8IHw

Gordon
CleverCugel

Post by CleverCugel »

Welcome Christina!

Like anything in life your whistle playing will have it's ups and downs. You'll have days when nothing comes out right no matter how hard you try. (I call it Sporadic Temporary Finger Uncoordination Syndrome)

Remember this excitement when frustration sets in and you want to throw your whistle out the window...let it carry you through and keep playing!

Luke
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Christina, welcome from another newbie to the whistle. (i've been at it a year, and i think i finally figured out which end to blow in!) This is a great forum with a great bunch of folks ready to help at anytime. Some of the best whistle makers and players in the world hang out here.... pick their brains as often as you can! i am sure we all look forward to hearing about your progress.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

Hi Christina,

Welcome to C&F. The Feadog Triple Pack was my first, also. I live in south western Massachusetts. We're practically neighbors!

Lyn
riverman

Post by riverman »

Hi Christina,
You'll learn a lot on this site--a lot of funny entries here, too!
My "triple pack" was a Walton's with CD and book--it was all I needed to "launch!" I had a Feadog once--I shoulda' kept it!!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
captaindolder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by captaindolder »

Welcome Christina!

I am new as well and live in Western Massachusetts. I have learned so much reading postings going back several years. I wish you well!

Blessings,

Doug
“There’s no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.” President Ronald Reagan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome from West Virginia. Have you gotten your whistle yet? Can you make that awful squawking noise yet? If you have pets, are they still speaking to you? Many of us have learned from the internet.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Bill Hennessy

Post by Bill Hennessy »

Hi, Christina. I hope you enjoy playing as much as I have. I find it very relaxing. And this is a great forum for encouragement and support.

Peace,
Bill