CP: New concept design from Lochlan whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Re: CP: New concept design from Lochlan whistles

Post by Carey »

Now you've got me wondering how to bore the ID with a taper, and leave the OD constant. Two possibly constructive techniques at once - a tapered bore AND a tapered wall. :devil: Offset steady rest? Hmmm... would need a thrust bearing to keep everything tight while boring. Maybe just a nice tapered reamer. Could be fun to play with.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Carey wrote:Now you've got me wondering how to bore the ID with a taper, and leave the OD constant. Two possibly constructive techniques at once - a tapered bore AND a tapered wall. :devil: Offset steady rest? Hmmm... would need a thrust bearing to keep everything tight while boring. Maybe just a nice tapered reamer. Could be fun to play with.
really, the possibility sounds pretty cool, .....in respect to this I think it was a shaw low D,...I noticed the E tone hole was built up to add thickness...I gather it was to increase the strength of the low E
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Greg...

Wow. Nice. Keep it up!

New frontiers in (for me, Low) whistle-building are a wonder to behold.

Many of us, around here, will watch you like a hawk, and also start saving money!

Yep.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Carey wrote:Now you've got me wondering how to bore the ID with a taper, and leave the OD constant. Two possibly constructive techniques at once - a tapered bore AND a tapered wall. :devil: Offset steady rest? Hmmm... would need a thrust bearing to keep everything tight while boring. Maybe just a nice tapered reamer. Could be fun to play with.
Easier to make a composite whistle like that than a metal one maybe - filament winding...

This is a very interesting experiment, but straight whistles are nice and simple too.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've made tapers buy using telescoping brass tubing and the inner tube is sliced longways diagonally - do so creates a tapered change in area as you proceed down through the bore where more and more of the the diagonally sliced off tube contributes to decreasing bore area.

gregrussell - that's a good observation. I looked at the numbers and I see that your change of the wall thickness on the lower toneholes (chimney) would cause the original hole to move up closer if diameter is maintained - then you can thus use a bigger tonehole instead with a reasonable stretch to the next hole and have higher cutoff frequency on that low-E.

Higher cutoff frequency makes the Low-E sound clean altogether and not strangled sounding in the second octave.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Hello Daniel,....yes that pretty much sums it up in a nut shell! So with this in mind the opposite works for the other end of the spectrum...meaning higher notes softened with a thinner wall while being easier to blow. the deeper chimney holes at the bottom create resistance or negative effect allowing the higher tone holes to work more independently. the same effect is caused by placing right hand fingers on lower E F# and G (ooo xxx)or just G (ooo xoo) while playing second octave notes B And C#
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Yes, the opposite would indeed work as well.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Sidhe

Post by Sidhe »

Sorry to butt in on these technical musings, but I have a practical :D question. Greg, any chance of a tour? I'd love to give it a try, and as a matter of fact I need a new low D, but I don't really have enough free cash to feel comfortable buying a whistle I haven't tried yet.
Gregrussell

Post by Gregrussell »

Sidhe wrote:Sorry to butt in on these technical musings, but I have a practical :D question. Greg, any chance of a tour? I'd love to give it a try, and as a matter of fact I need a new low D, but I don't really have enough free cash to feel comfortable buying a whistle I haven't tried yet.
Why not....who's interested
aphily8ed

Post by aphily8ed »

Count me in!
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Me too!
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
CleverCugel

Post by CleverCugel »

I lurk more than I post here...so I'll gladly bow to more experienced volunteers...that being said count me in if there's room for some younger blood.

Luke
okstatepiper

Post by okstatepiper »

I am looking for a better low D whistle, I would like to join the tour. :thumbsup:
KISS ME, I'M IRISH, Scotch, Dutch, Choctaw, and Okie!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Just keep in mind that Greg has not (yet) agreed to a tour ... which is entirely up to him. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dolphinjon

Post by dolphinjon »

I also lurk far more than I post, but I'm really interested in a low D other than the cheap one I have. So if you want someone with minimal Low D experience...