Which Burke?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gecko

Which Burke?

Post by Gecko »

Hello, as you can probably see, I am new to the Chiff and Fipple forums (although I have used the site before). I have been playing a Clarke since I started playing, and would like to move on to a higher-quality whistle. I have pretty much settled on the Burke after days of agonizing searching, but now there are different materials to choose from! I'm sort of leaning towards the aluminum, but on the Irish Flute Store's youtube video comparing them, it seemed that the aluminum was having some troubles getting the low notes out. Has anyone experienced this? Also, does the Burke company have a return policy? It doesn't say anything on their website. Any other comments/suggestions on Burke whistles would be helpful.

Thanks!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Aluminum burkes do fine with low notes.
Here's a good place to save money on Burkes,
and they are returnable. Also they are selected
to be good.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite ... s.php?pw=1
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Jim is right. I have several Burkes in all three materials and the Burke aluminums are fine on the low notes, but in my experience do require a bit more control than the brass, which I find to be more forgiving. The brass can take more push, and my brass session remains solid well past the point where my aluminum would begin to jump the octave. The aluminum is great...I just have to use a slightly different approach when playing it and back off a bit more.

In Doc's video, he has the least trouble with the brass, which bears out my own experience with Mike's whistles.

According to the information sheet included with his whistles:

LIMITED WARRANTY: Full refund if whistle is returned within 30 days of receipt, less shipping charges, or free postage on first exchange within 30 days of receipt.
ChaplainBlake
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Irish music has been a developing passion of mine. In the next few years, I hope to have all four of my kids going on whistles!

Post by ChaplainBlake »

I love my aluminum D narrow bore...no issues on any of the notes. I also second irishflutestore.com . In addition to good prices on good whistles, you get the pleasure of dealing with our favorite whistling veterinarian.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

I like the aluminum... although it is the only Burke I've tried. No trouble with the low notes whatsoever. :)
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

I have a few of Mike's whistles in both brass and aluminum. I think a person can adjust to either rather easily in terms of playing. I think it depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. The brass and aluminum sound very different from each other to my ear. The brass is very warm, rich, and mellow. The aluminum sounds a little "cooler" and crisper. (Anyone who can describe the differences better than I - PLEASE jump in here.) I tend to prefer the sound of brass and that's with all whistles, not just Mike's, but that's just me. But, sometimes I'm looking for a cooler, crisper sound and aluminum does that for me, so I like to have some of both.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a brass and love it. Many folks I know prefer the aluminum because they believe it's a little more responsive. It's also significantly lighter, if that's important.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

My advice is don't buy a used Burke because the design has been improved recently and the new Burkes play better / sound better than the old ones. What I saw on Doc's store recently were old style with a narrower slide.

I played a mess 'o Burkes at the Dublin I-Fest in August & bought a brass session D for $190. My previous whistle was a Clark Meg. All the Burkes I played were very good, but I settled on brass for the warmer sound and the session over the narrow bore because I figured in time I'd want the session whistle anyway. I kind of liked the narrow bore sound better - tad sweeter.

My 2-cents... Deisman
I'm on it...
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Aluminum Burkes do like all other Burkes on the low end (and the high), just beautifully.

There are some subtle tonal characteristics due to the materials but no performance characteristics. The Aluminums IMO are a bit purer in tone than the brass or the composite.

Doc
(You know, the good looking guy in the video) :D
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School