Looking for the ultimate whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jan flowing

Looking for the ultimate whistle!

Post by jan flowing »

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've had a brass high D tinwhistle for years but never played it much and had never even realised you could go an octave higher by blowing harder!!!

But all that has changed in the past 2 or 3 weeks, I'm a whistlemaniac!!! Been through Ryan Dun's lessons, and learning tunes from tradlessons on youtube and loving it :)

I bought a Clarke's original and find it has a good tone, but wanted different keys so i could play along with other musucuans/cds. So, i just got a set of 6 generations. My first impresssion is that they are fine for practising, but sound a bit too school-recordery if you know what I mean.

I am looking for a tinwhistle that has a really smooth, 'haunting', beautiful tone, and would be interested to hear from any of you what your favourites are or any particularly good high whistles that you know of... thanks :)

Also, whats all this about tweaking? what fo they do to the whistle to make it worth about 6 times as much? is it worth it? does it make a big difference to the sound?
Jesus is my King! :D
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by West »

Yes, tweaking is definitely worth it. You should try that before dismissing your Generation whistles ;) I dunno about "worth 6 times as much" but yeah, they do sound a whole lot better with some TLC.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
Killaloe

Post by Killaloe »

Oh Boy

Can

Worms

:D
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

She may have been tweaked...I don't personally know...but at one time, Mariah Carey was the Ultimate Whistle...
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Killaloe wrote:Oh Boy ... Can ... Worms
You're getting the hang of this, I see. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

It ain't cheap (compared to the Clarkes and PVC specials I have), but I LOVE my Burke DBSBT. It's really hard to not have good intonation with this thing (I've been playing for about 4 months, so blowing correct intonation is an issue) and it just sounds great. The second octave is clean and pure.

Considering what I could spend on a `zouk or a mando, spending $190 on a professional-level instrument is a rock-solid bargain.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Some fish can't resist the allure of worms.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Fraternities have pledge week.
The military has basic training.
The church as baptism and confirmation.
Chiff and Fipple has the "best whistle in the world search" and "why does everyone say Gens and Feadogs are so good when mine sounds so crappy?"
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Killaloe wrote:Oh Boy

Can

Worms

:D
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is a bigger can.

Owen
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

My vote for the perfect whistle goes to Overton.

Here is a web page where you hear various whistle makes which will perhaps give you an idea of the tone you would like from your ideal whistle.
http://www.micksvirtualwhistle.net/whistle/index.html

Clips & Snips is another place to listen to whistles.
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

it really depends on the type of player you are. I would recommend a Sindt if you have a very light blowing and ornamentation style. My sindt is about 9 years old now so i don't know if he's maybe changed them a bit but my one negative comment is that, personally, the tone was a too one-dimentional. it was sweet, but at the same time a little thin. you couldn't express any range of dynamics with it. they don't handle heavy breathing or aggressive tongueing very well. (while some may find that enjoyable...;) If you have a stronger approach then I'd say 100% overton. If you like a bold clean tone with beautiful personality you can't beat 'em. I've found that they tend to record with a better tone than any other whistle I've tries as well. they react very well with a microphone.

Cheers
~Nolan
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

You shouldn't dismiss the Generations - they can be really good whistles especially in the hands of s whistler more skilled than me.

You may consider sticking to a single key right now and investing in one of the "so-called" high end whistles. Burkes can be real smooth sounding for example.

Some of the most heated topics on this forum involve "cheapie" versus "high-end." Having read a few, they seem futile as there is really not a single solution that will please everyone's musical tastes or talents (or lack of in my case). I have a Generation D that was sent to me by another user. The recording that he made of it beats anything that I can (or ever) play in terms of skill and emotion, yet he also reckons that it is only an "average" quality Generation.

There is one thing that I didn't do when beginning and looking for a whistle - visit a local session (if there are any) and see what folk are playing. I expect that you'd be welcome to simply sit-in and listen, kick back with a beer (if it is in a pub). I don't know about session etiquette, but maybe during a break you could ask players about their preferences and thoughts on their whistles. Just an idea.

Charlie
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

Check out tonyhinnigan.com. This site has great reviews on whistles and you can get to hear several different sounds.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

what is your price range?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jan flowing

Post by jan flowing »

Thanks everyone for your replies to this topic, plenty of worms in the can :boggle:

Whistle collector, my price range is flexible as my next bday is my 30th so i could get a decent whistle for my pressie :wink:

I have watched someone playing a Burke on youtube and like the sound of that, but i'll check that link to the virtual whistle page to hear some more ...
Jesus is my King! :D