Burke DASBT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JordanII
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke DASBT

Post by JordanII »

So I'm in a Celtic band (http://www.myspace.com/bostrombrothers) and I've been playing Clarke Sweetones for some time now, but they're just not cutting it anymore, I mean, they work, but I'm ready to get something on the more expensive side. So I've admired the Burke DASBT for a while and after seeing Gaelic Storm's Peter Purvis play one this last weekend I've nearly made up my mind to get one, but before I go and buy it I should ask what you all think of the DASBT. How do you like them? I'm liking the idea of the session because it's louder which is good in my case, being in a band and all, but how much louder than the DAN is it? Thanks! :)
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

How do you like them? I'm liking the idea of the session because it's louder which is good in my case, being in a band and all, but how much louder than the DAN is it?
I like Burke whistles quite a lot. I have a set of about 25 Burkes at this point (I need a lot of different keys). There are a lot of nice whistles out there today. You can buy different but you won't buy better than the Burke, IMHO.

I have Burke high D's in all three materials and both narrow and session bore. I prefer the the narrow bore brass overall. But that's just my taste. I do play the DASBT and the DBSBT more in large groups for the additional volume. The session bore is a little louder and fuller sounding than the narrow bore. But if you are miking the whistle, you may not notice the difference. The narrow bore Burkes aren't quiet whistles. You can't make a bad choice among the Burke high D's. When I need a loud whistle I go to the Copeland (or Susato).

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

I Have a Composite narrow bore Burke which I like a lot. Good sound and a little more mellower but it also maybe a little softer. If you check out Doc Jones Irish flute store he has a video in which he compares Burkes. It may help you decide. Rock on!
ketida

Post by ketida »

I have a Sweetone that I played for a while before, I too, decided to upgrade. And I too, decided to invest in a Burke D, however, I bought the DBSBT. Since I use it mostly for performances, with amplification, I opted for tone over volume.

No regrets, whatsoever. Brilliant whistle, easy to play, sounds marvelous. Everything you read about it is true!

Best wishes.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

I also play in a band, as well as do studio work, sessions, etc, and use several Burkes. In D, for many years I've been playing an older Al Pro session non-blacktip, DANBT, and DBNBT. I recently got a new DBSBT and definitely prefer it over the others because it can handle more push and the tone is a wonderful full, warm, round, more trad tone that I prefer over the aluminum. I like the aluminum session ok, but I really love the tone of this brass session. And, it can be pushed well beyond the point where the aluminum session would break up since the Al Pro session is more touchy with air requirements and can more easily be overblown. So the DBSBT is great for stage performance when things get cranking and I start playing more aggressively in the second octave. It's just much more forgiving and can take a lot of push in the second octave while maintaining perfectly clear notes. And it sounds incredible recorded. The c-nat is dead-on and strong using either 0XX000 or 0XXX0X, the latter being the stronger of the two. In fast runs, 0X0000 works great. This is one fine whistle.

But keep in mind, this is all personal. Mike sells tons of aluminum and brass sessions, as well composites.

The DBSBT and Overton high D pretty much carry my D needs now and the other Burkes have been unplayed. The DBSBT has become my do-it-all whistle but if on rare occasions I need more volume in sessions, I pull out my Susato, Chieftain, or Overton which are all noticeably louder than the Burkes.
deisman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

My first whistles were Meg Sweetones & I bought a Burke D brass session whistle about a month ago. The Burke is simply superior in every way imaginable. If you've got the dough I'd spring for it & I believe Michael offers a 7 day trial if returned in original condition - but better check on that.

Deisman
I'm on it...
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

Burkes are dead brilliant. I bought an aluminum 'D' some months ago after coming across some good internet reviews and within a month I bought an additional 'A' and 'Low D' of the same make. I love their tone, volume control & spot on tunability. Also, I find that I can do certain ornamentation easier with these whistles than some others (that probably a personal thing :P ). They were a big help for some tracks on our new CD.

There are different things that I like about the whistles in my collection but the Burkes have many good qualities across the board.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Thanks for all the replies! For some reason I'm leaning towards getting the aluminum. Oh, btw, does anyone here know if it's the narrow bore or the session that Pete Purvis plays? 'Cause I really like the sound of Gaelic Storm's whistles...
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

JordanII wrote:Thanks for all the replies! For some reason I'm leaning towards getting the aluminum. Oh, btw, does anyone here know if it's the narrow bore or the session that Pete Purvis plays? 'Cause I really like the sound of Gaelic Storm's whistles...
Best thing to do is ask him. :)

http://www.peterpurvis.com/contact.html
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

If it helps, and if you haven't seen it yet, Doc Jones did a comparison of the different models here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P9GYVKNqQ

Jason
daiv

Post by daiv »

JordanII wrote:Thanks for all the replies! For some reason I'm leaning towards getting the aluminum. Oh, btw, does anyone here know if it's the narrow bore or the session that Pete Purvis plays? 'Cause I really like the sound of Gaelic Storm's whistles...
if you go to mike burke's website, and listen to the sound clips that play when it louds, that is my uncle, and he plays the session bore aluminum. he really likes them.

you cant go wrong with any, but it's all dependent on the person. he says that when he and joanie madden try out whistles, he thinks she sounds better and brass than aluminum, and he sounds better on aluminum than brass (and as far as i understand, she agrees!). i would say go with your gut. if your first instinct is to get the session bore, then do that. pete purvis is a different person, so you'll still sound like you're playing a burke, but who knows which one is best for you.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Well, I've decided to get the DASBT. Thanks for the help guys.
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

WOW! I just got it today and man is it AWESOME! :D I think I've found the cure for WHOA... now to get the other keys he makes... :lol:
Skyclad01
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

JordanII wrote:I think I've found the cure for WHOA... now to get the other keys he makes... :lol:
I believe that statement contradicts itself. It seems the Burke's are an additional WHOA enabler for you (and for many other people im sure).
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

JordanII wrote:WOW! I just got it today and man is it AWESOME! I think I've found the cure for WHOA... now to get the other keys he makes...
Skyclad01 is right. First you buy the session bore in aluminum. Then you buy the narrow bore in brass, Then you get another key and another material and another key and another material and..... Mike makes whistles in what, 20 keys and he uses three different materials. That's a lot of whistles! And just when you think you have caught up, Mike imroves the design and it starts all over. This isn't simple WHOA. Why would I know about this? :lol:

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.