Can I sound horrible?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scarlett
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Can I sound horrible?

Post by scarlett »

Hello everybody,
Today I bought a Clarke Sweetone high "D" tin whistle and started playing. I play the violin for many years, now, I say I'm a fairly decent player. I have no problems with the flute, either (I learnt to play the recorder) but as I started to play a song this evening my mother just asked me to stop. Begged me to stop...
Well she doesn't think much of traditional whistle playing, either...

Scarlett

PS: I'm really sorry for my English, I'm German^^
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Whistle is, according to my wife, best played in a field...very far away from her.

Seriously, it's always louder than you think, and the repetitive nature of Irish music can make the high shrill sound unbearable to those not playing along with you.

Just my guess - you don't stink, you just play whistle.

Eric
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Scarlett,

Join the club !
I've been playing alone for 4 years now, and either everyone leaves the building, or makes it known with " isn't that enough now looks"

It hasn't stopped me though ! :D
Tia

Post by Tia »

yaa dont worry, they will either get used to it, orrr you do what i do and wait till eveyones gone, it helps if you buy a lower whistle not quite as loud, Bflat is good to start with
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
synergy

Post by synergy »

Yeah, here too. It also doesn't help when I use a session bore whistle. I believe the Sweetone is on the medium side of loudness. There are several quiet whistle makers out there. Perhaps you could try a Mack Hoover narrow bore brass - he can make them very quiet.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I agree as well. I get the same thing from my wife. It's not so much the quality of the playing as the characteristics of the whistle.

Even the best whistles will be high-pitched, and generally loud - two qualities not best suited for close quarters.

Unless of course it's close quarters COMBAT!

Jason
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Low whistle is your friend.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

That's the main reason the Every whistle has a mute. :wink: Wife couldn't stand whistle playing. And she agrees it's not the quality of the playing, although repeating a tune to get it quicker makes her nuts faster.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Damn if I could play the Violin and the Flute I wouldn't bother with the whistle! A German friend of mine comes to visit in Ireland 3 or 4 times a year, he plays Violin and was classically trained but now plays Irish trad. He's played in lots of pubs in Dublin and Clare and always gets big cheers from the audience and the highest of compliments from other musicians. Have you tried playing any Irish trad on that Violin???
Maeloc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Emer Mayock, Matt Molloy, Jean Michel Veillon and Michael McGoldrick playing. My favourite flute makers are Hammy Hamilton and Solen Lesouef

Post by Maeloc »

My wife begs me to go somewhere far when I start playing in the same room, along with the "too shrill" comments. If I'm in other room the "closed doors" poltergeist starts inmediately
s1m0n wrote:Low whistle is your friend.
that seems to work; I recently learned to control my D Overton and sometimes dare to play in the garden, they don't run away anymore!!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm relieved! Because I think it's a wonderful instrument and I would be very frustrated when was so terrible at playing it :)

@Blaydo Yeah, I'm playin Irish traditional on the violin, well , I love playing Irish traditional and honestly, I often forget to do my 'classic' homework because Irish music is much more fun to play... I think... unfortunatly not my teacher :sniffle:
walrii

Post by walrii »

Or you could sound horrible. Especially in the second octave, small changes in breath volume, pressure and air speed can create ear-piercing sounds. Things smooth out with practice. That said, I agree with all the previous posts that whistle music is an acquired taste. My wife has gone from "Not in this house" to "That sounded pretty good when I was three rooms away" in about three years of practice. I credit her opinion change in about equal measure to my improved playing and her increased understanding of the music. Or maybe her hearing is just going bad...
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Na, it's not because of the second octave... I never played it when she was near^^
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

(Ihr Englisch ist gut- viel besser als mein Deutsch, weiss ich- also seien Sie nicht so scheu :) viel Glück mit dem Musik! - ist "mit" richtig?)

Record yourself playing a bit, then listen to it. Then put it away for a week and listen then. What comes out what might be different than what you're hearing when your lips are on the thing.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

[quote="TheSpoonMan"](Ihr Englisch ist gut- viel besser als mein Deutsch, weiss ich- also seien Sie nicht so scheu :) viel Glück mit dem Musik! - ist "mit" richtig?)
quote]
Thank you!
well, I'd say your German is quite good^^ the 'mit' is correct but it's 'viel Glück mit der Musik'