I drool a lot.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I drool a lot.

Post by West »

Yeah. Is this normal? :D

I've read about moisture building up inside the whistle and all that, but seriously, I literally drool quite a bit when I play. After a few minutes I have to stop playing and sort of whip the whistle clear of saliva (maybe there's a proper term for the procedure, I dunno).

Am I doing something wrong? Too much tonguing?

Edit: I just realized no one is ever going to buy a used whistle from me...
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Let me tell you, I find this to be an issue on some whistles more than other for me. When I play my overton, yes it clogs sometimes but otherwise saliva is not an issue. When I play my alba howqever, within 5 minutes, it's running out the end of the whistle and chaning the sound :P I love my alba to death, just sort of got used to.....just try to keep mouth as dry as possible i suppose :) If you're doing something wrong, we both are.

Where it seems more an issue with some whistles, i don't think it's your fault. Just a reality that there is alot of moisture in your beath and on metal, condensation is inevitable. Some whistles react differently than others
Last edited by ziggysp2000 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe... ziggy, how many whistles are you up to now?? lol!! :lol:
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

CrazedHavoc wrote:hehe... ziggy, how many whistles are you up to now?? lol!! :lol:
Ooooooh, well I haven't got my 2nd set of overtons yet (in the mail) so I'm up tooooo, 8 at the moment :P Soon to be 14.

You? :P
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe... My 5th is currently in the mail. :)
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Well I'll be taking a small break so you'll catch up I'm sure ;)
Ian Wilson
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

To be honest, this is a problem I've had, and a problem I think more whistlers/flautists have than are willing to admit it. As you play more, you'll gain more control over it, or at least, that's how it worked with me.

One important thing is not to play after eating; obviously, food gets the saliva going, and thus you'll drool into your whistle.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Good point Dameon, that would make a difference :) I have to mark that down, I'm always munching on something...

Frankly I don't find it that embarassing or gross.....my girlfriend disagrees (not surprisingly so) :P When I played flute in high school, it was an issue, it's an issue now..... meh, just blow it out and keep going.
Ian Wilson
AngeloMeola
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I find the angle I hold the whistle makes a difference. If it is near horizontal, I get much less saliva into the whistle. If it is pointed down at 45 degreees or so, I find it hard to finish a tune without clogging.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Hmm, that's interesting... the angle you hold it at for saliva. I know I usually hold sopranos a lot more horizontal than low's.... I will have to try that :)
Ian Wilson
kennychaffin

Re: I drool a lot.

Post by kennychaffin »

West wrote:.... After a few minutes I have to stop playing and sort of whip the whistle clear of saliva (maybe there's a proper term for the procedure, I dunno).

Yeah, it's called "showering the audience" :)

The drooling/saliva can be an issue with any mouth instrument. Do what you can to control it, but otherwise live with it.

You could always get your Dr. to prescribe diuretics. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
West

Post by West »

AngeloMeola wrote:I find the angle I hold the whistle makes a difference. If it is near horizontal, I get much less saliva into the whistle. If it is pointed down at 45 degreees or so, I find it hard to finish a tune without clogging.
Angelo
Thanks for the advice, this seems to help quite a bit. Unfortunately I find the 45 degree angle a lot more comfortable... so I may have to live with the drooling issue :)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson