Vacation... Vacation... anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-17 09:35, Bartleby wrote:
Day after tomorrow, I'll be leaving this cold, God-forsaken wasteland for the tropical paradise of Cancun, Mexico. Can't help but wish I was going to Ireland, though!
You're calling <i>northeast Alabama</i> a cold, God-forsaken wasteland?

I grew up there (Fort Payne, Huntsville, Collinsville, Fort Payne)...wasteland? Well, yeah.

God-forsaken? Pick a god--the Baptists seem pretty entrenched.

Cold? It depends, I guess. My parents never lived in a house with central heat, so I was never warm in the winter until moving to Pennsylvania.

But you DO get your daffodils a month earlier than I do.

I echo the sentiment about Ireland, though. Safe travel!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Cees, where in AZ are you headed? I grew up in Tucson and my parents have a cabin in the Flagstaff area. :smile:

Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Steven
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steven »

Well, we've finally got our plans worked out. We're just going up to my wife's grandparents' house about an hour from here. It's a lovely place, out in the country. Central/northern Bucks County, about 20 minutes north of Doylestown, for those familiar with eastern Pennsylvania.

We'll only be there for a couple of days, but after that I have off until Jan. 2, so I'm really looking forward to a little time away from work (and lots of time to play my whistles and flute).

I hope you all have a great holiday if you're celebrating it!

Steven
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

On 2002-12-17 07:29, SteveK wrote:
My son and family are coming from sunny California to dreary Ontario for Christmas. I never budge at Christmas. But if I did here's what I'd want to do.

http://www.classbrain.com/artholiday/pu ... _253.shtml

Hooray Jake, Hooray John,
Breakin up Christmas all night long.

Steve
Do you have the tune to "Breaking Up Christmas"? I'm thinking of having a Breaking up Christmas party after the holiday -- toss the tree on the bonfire, play some tunes, etc. I'd love to learn the tune, and all I've turned up on the web is banjo tab, which I don't know how to read.

Sarah
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'll see what I can do Sarah. My scanner won't work with this computer but maybe I can write it out on Encore and send it to you. It's really quite a simple tune as many of those Round Peak tunes are. Could you send me the address where you found the banjo tab. I can translate it into notes.

Steve
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Thanks so much, Steve! Here's the link I found for "Breaking up Christmas". I assumed it's banjo tab because it has 5 lines but isn't ordinary notation. If you are familiar with abc notation, that would be an easy form to send, and I can easily translate it into dots that I can read.

http://www.virtualtradition.com/oldtime ... ngxmas.pdf

Sarah
Gary

Post by Gary »

After friday, I get 16 days off. I guess that's the advantage of workin for public schools doing the computer helpdesk thing.

Though I need to finish building a bass guitar amp for my stepson. (He's getting a Fender bass for Christmas.) I will spend as much time as possible with my bride. It seems we never get enough time together and the years together seem like only months.

This weekend is three big Christmas services at our church. We'll have about 3,000 visitors. I'm excited because we're doing some Celtic Christmas music and I get to play electric guitar AND whistle! My laptop is all set to record it to disk.

Christmas day will see all of the family at our house. Inlaws, kids & grandkids will all be there. So that my Christmas may be complete, I'm still hoping for an opportunity to do Caroling at a hospital or prison on Chritmas Eve.

Season's Best to all,

Gary
madguy

Post by madguy »

I have Christmas Eve off, as does all my night crew at the super market since they'd have to pay us all time and a half (it'd actually be Christmas Day, midnight and on). The store's closed Christmas Day, but three of us go in Christmas night do ready the store for Thursday business. Our company doesn't permit any vacations the week of Christmas....ahh, the joys of retail!

Happy Christmas, all!!!

~Larry
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

We spend Christmas at home with the kids and do our visiting on Boxing day. My husbands family during the day and my Parents house in the evening.

I love Christmas, watching the kids, eating turkey, all the stuff! My best friend from hight school, my 1st father and my sister will all join us to make the family just that much fuller! We don't drink, just eat lots of chocolate and watch the children.

If anyone on Vancouver Isl. is in need of a good dinner, come on over, there will be plenty!

In the mean time, I have some errands left to run and plenty of work left in the work shop and Santa stole my elves!!!

Sandy
Cees
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2002-12-17 10:50, aderyn wrote:
Cees, where in AZ are you headed? I grew up in Tucson and my parents have a cabin in the Flagstaff area. :smile:

Andrea ~*~
I'm sorry for not answering sooner, Andrea--I just barely saw your question tonight. :smile:

My in-laws live in Chandler, a suburb of Phoenix. So that's where we're staying. My husband's sister lives in Tucson but she's getting married tomorrow in Mesa and having a reception here in Chandler. She had a reception in Tucson tonight but I stayed here with the kids as it was too far and too late to take them out and they're still really exhausted from the long trip yesterday.

:smile:

PS Flagstaff is really pretty. If I had to live in Arizona (I can't take the heat here in the summer), I'd live in Flagstaff. I don't think it gets as hot there, either. The only problem with Flagstaff is with it being at 7,000 feet elevation anytime you want to go anywhere away from there you have a major climb either on the way out or back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-12-21 01:48 ]</font>