Fipple or reed

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bjs
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fipple or reed

Post by bjs »

I have a soprano sax and am thinking why not take a tube with 6 holes and plug in the mouthpiece? Anybody done this? Any advice on construction? I know you can buy these things but not cheap. On the other hand one could I supose stick a whistle head on a sax!
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Sure thing, good to experiment. There are serious issues, however. It's all in the bore! A cylindrical tube will overblow at the 12th (2nd harmonic) with a reed head on it, and basically you'll have a chalumeau - which actually won't overblow without some kind of 8ve speaker. To get an 8ve (1st harmonic) overblow you need a conoid tube if it is going to be closed at one end as with a reed. Flutes and whistles are in effect open at both ends, so have different acoustic qualities. (Pan pipes are closed at one end and overblow to the 2nd harmonic too.) People are doing these things, though. There is the "Pocket sax" which is kind-of a sax/chalumeau - I've seen/heard one and they're quite nice, and not particularly expensive. There are also various bamboo saxes - started in Hawaii, I believe ("Saxoons" or some such?). Also not expensive.

As for putting a whistle head on your sax body, if you can find one to fit, try it, but I have my doubts about how it would work for the opposite reasons - a sax body/scale is designed for a closed, not open top end. It'd generate sound OK, but not a usable scale, I'd guess.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:There are also various bamboo saxes - started in Hawaii, I believe ("Saxoons" or some such?). Also not expensive.
Yep, the Xaphoon - http://www.xaphoon.com/
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

What I did was to stick a clarinet mouthpiece and barrel joint onto a Susato Low F whistle. The bore is about the same as a clarinet's, and the fingering is the same (the "three-finger note" on both is B flat).

The only modification I did was to carve a thumbhole on the back of the whistle so as to get a complete octave. (There's no octave key on a whistle!!!)

This plays very nicely, believe it or not. I love the variety of timbres I can get, from a big fat reedy tone to a duduk-like breathy tone.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I have a Xaphoon and it's a real kick. It's only about a foot long but sounds for all the world like a tenor sax!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

This might be a fitting thread to make aware of another project Bernard Overton was involved in just in the last couple of years.... Him being a jazzer, playing clarinet and the likes in bands wanted to have something easier to finger in old age..... Bernard unfortunately - due to his unexpected death - has not seen the launch of it all as it was just the week after his death finished and up and running.

http://www.brinklowpipe.co.uk

hope this is interesting and fits here
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's very interesting, thanks. Very cool.

Something sort of like this already exists. I can't remember what they are called, but they are a family of what one might call "simple system clarinets". Not a Baroque clarinet. I think they are a modern adaptation of the Renaissance clarinet or something.
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

I have a tenor sax. I have looked at long thin conical funnels and thought about putting the tenor mouthpiece on one and making an instrument with the pennywhistle fingering.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

pancelticpiper wrote:What I did was to stick a clarinet mouthpiece and barrel joint onto a Susato Low F whistle. The bore is about the same as a clarinet's, and the fingering is the same (the "three-finger note" on both is B flat).

The only modification I did was to carve a thumbhole on the back of the whistle so as to get a complete octave. (There's no octave key on a whistle!!!)

This plays very nicely, believe it or not. I love the variety of timbres I can get, from a big fat reedy tone to a duduk-like breathy tone.
What a good idea! I have an unused clarinet here so I'll try it out today.
bjs

Post by bjs »

Thanks for the replies. How does the Brinklow pipe work without overblowing? A little thumb hole somewhere? I knew the reed plays an octave below the fipple but didn't know about the 12th overblow. My sop mouthpiece on a usual D whistle tube - no holes cut yet gives a B3. I have a Xaphoon but can't get much beyond an octave out of it. The sax is much easier to play.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

The hornpipe has been around for awhile: https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite ... .php?c1=56
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Brigitte wrote:This might be a fitting thread to make aware of another project Bernard Overton was involved in just in the last couple of years.... Him being a jazzer, playing clarinet and the likes in bands wanted to have something easier to finger in old age..... Bernard unfortunately - due to his unexpected death - has not seen the launch of it all as it was just the week after his death finished and up and running.

http://www.brinklowpipe.co.uk

hope this is interesting and fits here
Brigitte
I want one!!!!

No mention of the price on the web site though.

And I just bought a wonderful Ridenour clarinet on eBay. (A low cost clarinet that plays better than most of the high end ones.)

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

A way to handle the overblowing is to make it a conical bore like a sax or taragoto.

It's nice looking, I wonder if they will still make it since Bernards passing.

It might not be as cheap as you would, unless they can really mass produce it there's a lot work in something like that.

Also, I wonder how well it will catch on. Chromatic Whistles have have not really caught on, I've made them and I know that Ralph Sweet had made a high end model (I don't think he advertises his any more).
ctilbury

Post by ctilbury »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Also, I wonder how well it will catch on. Chromatic Whistles have have not really caught on, I've made them and I know that Ralph Sweet had made a high end model (I don't think he advertises his any more).
Hi Daniel,

I am planning to make a chromatic whistle. It will be in G and I am going to try for 3 octaves with a "direction" hole. I don't really care if they sell, I just want one. What do you think? Got any good advise?

All the best,
-=chuckt=-
Happy Whistling!
-=ChuckT=-
www.whistlemaker.com
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

I am sure the instrument will be made in the future if people are interested. Bernard was not involved in the physical making/production of it as far as I know, this was Paul's part and also Paul is the one who would have/will be making them. He is a well trained woodwind and flute maker as you can see from his own profile. Bernard's workshop was not set up for wood work and he kept himself busy with whistle making.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)