Whistle with a clean upper register...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cullivan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle with a clean upper register...

Post by Cullivan »

I've been playing a Freeman Mellow Dog for about a year now, and it has served me well. However, I'm playing a lot more in the second octave than I used to, and it's quite loud and shrill up there. It also takes a disproportionate amount of air to get certain notes, especially between F# and G.

I'm in the process of obtaining funds for a professional quality whistle, but until then I'm looking for something in the range of $30-50 with a clean 2nd octave that doesn't burst your eardrums, preferably with minimal "push" between notes. It also needs to be able to handle fast, heavily ornamented dance music. As long as the instrument is in tune with itself, I don't care how close to concert pitch it is- I'll save that concern for when I buy something more expensive. I half-hole instead of cross-fingering so C natural isn't an issue for me.

Could anyone reccomend a whistle, be it tweaked or crafted, with these qualities?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

It might be worth trying out one of the mutes on your Mellow Dog first. There are several methods you can try. Just do a search on mutes on this site.

Mack Hoover makes top quality quiet whistles that need very little breath.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Sure, an Everywhistle would be perfect.
I use that whistle to practice, since it has incorporated a "mute function", and you can play very quietly without worrying about the higher notes (even those in the 3rd octave).
The whistle is also tunable. The price is $55, not much more than what you want to pay.
You can read more about it in www.parkswhistles.com

Cheers,
Martin
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

A Dixon Trad may be perfect for you. It has lower air requirements than the Mellow Dog. I've actually never found a whistle easier to play than the Trad (although they undoubtedly exist!).
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'd pm Jerry about your Mellow Dog. I have one and the upper register is nice. High A steps up a bit from high B in volume but isn't shrill and everything below there is even and clean. If the key isn't important, get a C tube for the Mellow Dog from Jerry. That whistle has a marvelous upper register. Get the C tube even if you need a D - you won't regret it.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Whistle with a clean upper register...

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Please send me your whistle. I guarantee 100% satisfaction with every whistle I do, no matter where or how long ago you got it. If something's amiss with it, I'll make whatever adjustments are needed. If not, I'll refund your purchase price.

Best wishes,
Jerry

Jerry Freeman
P.O. Box 191
Orwell, NY 13426

Edited to add: If not, I'll refund your purchase price and return the whistle. It's yours to keep in either case.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I'll put in a second vote for the Parks Everywhistle. I just received one of these little gems (a Walkabout Everywhistle) and I absolutely love it! I haven't had much chance to play it in a group yet but it has plenty of volume, is very responsive and is very much in tune with itself. And the tone ring is great for adjusting volume and the upper octave notes come out effortlessly when closed down a little. Really, a great whistle for a great price.
~Tiff
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Respect to Jerry for his offer/professionalism.....
However, have you checked out this thread? Listen to MTGuru's clips (OK, he's a damn fine player, but any player also needs the tools for the job!), then go here - you can't get better value for money, nor I think better sounding/playing whistles short of the very highest end wooden ones.

Let Jerry fix what you have, but get a GG (set!) too!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

I'll second the Every Whistle (Walkabout or regular) for a loud to quiet, excellent practice whistle...

Cheap too...
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

How about Walton's Little Black Whistles? I tweaked one of mine by gently rounding the blade and inserting some putty in the void under the airway. Though the Little Black Whistles rarely need any tweaking this did wonders with mine. Going up into the third octave is no problem at all though the cats and dogs in my neighborhood probably hate me now... :D

Not only did the tweaking make the whistle much smoother to play, it did also make the volume of the different octaves a lot more even. The second octave won't burst any eardrums. -The third might though, but then again only if you're a cat or a dog... :)

Slán,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
koktach

Post by koktach »

jemtheflute wrote:then go here - you can't get better value for money, nor I think better sounding/playing whistles short of the very highest end wooden ones.
I'll second that.
MagicSailor

Re: Whistle with a clean upper register...

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi
Cullivan wrote:I'm in the process of obtaining funds for a professional quality whistle, but until then I'm looking for something in the range of $30-50 with a clean 2nd octave that doesn't burst your eardrums
I'll second the Dixon Trad, and also suggest you look at a Thornton for just a little more money. It may be the only whistle you aver need. A couple of people have suggested the Parks. I haven't any experience with them myself, but have built a couple of CPVC and PVC whistles that are similar in design and my homemade whistles would certainly fit your wishes. (I'm not parting with them though.)

Owen
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Re-reading the thread, it seems to me that OP does ask for whistle recommendations, apart from whatever the described problem might be. So I think people are just responding to that specific request, with no bias one way or the other regarding the Mellow Dog. As for that, I think Jerry's reputation for quality and fairness and his exemplary expressed concern for 100% customer satisfaction speak for themselves.

I'll be more comfortable when the OP chimes back in. The problem described could be due to many things which may or may not have anything to do with the physical characteristics of the whistle.
Last edited by MTGuru on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

I find it interesting this thread didn't play out the way the recent "Question about my new Oak whistle" thread did, especially after Jerry made his offer.

To the OP: take Jerry up on his offer first.