What part of the pennywhistle is the fipple?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

On 2001-10-03 11:11, avanutria wrote:
So what's chiff, then?
AFAIK it is that annoying airy hissing sound that some whistles produce. Some people seem to like it. Obviously I am not one of them :wink:
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Well, here's another example of a difference between a popular use and a strict use. Again, I'm sympathetic with the popular use, that chiff describes the "air" in the tone. The noise, the turbulance. But, strictly speaking, I think the term refers to the attack of the sound, or the crispness thereof. Go figure. Copeland says it is a pipe organ term.

Dale
Spot Beagle

Post by Spot Beagle »

On 2001-10-02 20:24, DaleWisely wrote:
Greg, that's an impressive piece of research. Thanks. Could you find out what the word "ubiquitous" really means for me?

Thanks,

Dale
ubiq*ui*tous (adjective)

First appeared 1837

: existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : WIDESPREAD

-- ubiq*ui*tous*ly (adverb)

-- ubiq*ui*tous*ness (noun)
Sara

Post by Sara »

What does AFAIK mean?
Sara

"Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do, nothing to kill or die for. And no religion too" - John Lennon
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

AFAIK, it stands for "As far as I know" :smile:
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks!
em

Post by em »

I'd just like to point out that there aren't many sites on the net on which you can post a simple question about whistle anatomy and recieve such a profuse number of answers ranging from highly technical analysis to haiku.

em.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The fipple is block and windway mechanism that delivers air across the window to the blade (also called labium).

A chiff is a term that goes back to the day of organ pipes. It is a wisp of wind that produces non-musical sounds. A series of sounds develop when you begin a musical note that vary depending on a whistles construction. Different whistles have a style of chiff that is different from another whistle.
In organs, for the most part, Chiff is an undesirable component.
On whistles, a small amount of chiff is desirable to certain musicians. Others don't want any chiff.
There are not too many ways to describe chiff. Maybe someone will take up the task of making a chiff audio collection <g>. (Someone with lots of time on their hands).

<a href="http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... m">Whistle Anatomy</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daniel_Bingamon on 2001-10-06 17:45 ]</font>