The Burke is dead, long live the what?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Burke is dead, long live the what?

Post by breqwas »

After a month of playing, my Burke (brass, session bore) has found it's end on the bottom of South Boh river, so now I'm thinking about buying a new whistle.

Burke was my second high-end whistle, and I liked it pretty much. It had nice tone, was loud enough for sessions and playing with fiddles and did not eat too much air - and had a rock-solid sound, with no single sign of squeaks and with perfect - strong and very fast - reaction to all cuts, taps, rolls and other finger movements. That was exactly what I wanted from my whistle.

There was one disadvantage, though: it needed some breath control. When I was playing, the 2nd octave was OK, the bottom of 1st was a bit sharp, the top of the 1rst (A, B, C#) was pretty flat, and Cnat was seriously sharp. This can be fixed with proper breath tecnique, I suppose.

So: should I buy one more Burke, or there's some better option? Money is not the problem.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

it needed some breath control.
You'll find all whistles do, it's their nature: they aren't piano accordeons
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Peter,

I know they do, that's not a problem. Problem is that they all need _different_ breath control :) I can be in tune on my GFM and could be in tune on Vargas' Generation Bb (which was also lost recently), but I couldn't do that on Burke. Maybe I was not persistent enough, though.
irish69

Post by irish69 »

GO FOR A SINDT!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

irish69 wrote:GO FOR A SINDT!!!!!!!!
Yes, well maybe the only valid advise would be : go with the one you like the character of.
mahanpots

Re: Burke is dead, long live what?

Post by mahanpots »

breqwas wrote:After a month of playing, my Burke (brass, session bore) has found it's end on the bottom of South Boh river, so now I'm thinking about buying a new whistle.

Burke was my second high-end whistle, and I liked it pretty much. It had nice tone, was loud enough for sessions and playing with fiddles and did not eat too much air - and had a rock-solid sound, with no single sign of squeaks and with perfect - strong and very fast - reaction to all cuts, taps, rolls and other finger movements. That was exactly what I wanted from my whistle.

There was one disadvantage, though: it needed some breath control. When I was playing, the 2nd octave was OK, the bottom of 1st was a bit sharp, the top of the 1rst (A, B, C#) was pretty flat, and Cnat was seriously sharp. This can be fixed with proper breath tecnique, I suppose.

So: should I buy one more Burke, or there's some better option? Money is not the problem.
I want to know more about why your Burke is at the bottom of the river.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi
Maybe you should have a look at a 'Thornton' whistle by Tommy Martin,

Its my favorite, nice trad sound and you won't have a 6 month wait :D

Cheers
Happiness is taking things as they are.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Peter Laban wrote: Yes, well maybe the only valid advise would be : go with the one you like the character of.
There were three high-end soprano whistles at our session, and two of them were mine. I just can't try many to find out what I like more. That's why I'm posting here the 174065th "what is your favorite whistle" poll :)
breqwas

Re: Burke is dead, long live what?

Post by breqwas »

mahanpots wrote: I want to know more about why your Burke is at the bottom of the river.
It is bad idea to go for a canoe trip with clothes without good pockets.
It is even worse idea to ask to keep your Burke someone who knows how to play it.

That was not me who dropped it into the water :)
scheky

Post by scheky »

Ouchie.

I'm surprised that you had tuning issues with your Burke. The Burke is actually known to be spot on tuning out of the box. It's those new-fangled computerized thing-a-ma-job machines he uses to make his whistles with exact tolerances. Most folks have issues getting them to blow OUT of tune.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Yeah, money should not be an option, because the one who dropped it should be paying!!!!!

Sorry for the loss, for every end there is a new beginning.

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
cpelsor

Post by cpelsor »

Peter Laban wrote: You'll find all whistles do, it's their nature: they aren't piano accordeons
WHAT? Crap, that explains a *lot*... :D :D :D
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

hindsight, but always tie a lanyard to yer whistle and to yer self :)
shy the blond water
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

Wait with the next whistle buy.

You're on a european whistle tour, remember?

If money is not an issue, wait for that one (don't worry, i won't keep it for long when it reaches me) ;)
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

R.I.P

My condolences :sniffle:

Sorry but I can't help you in what whistle you could buy, I have never played a high-end whistle...