OT What brand of Guitar?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Check out:
http://cathedralmusic.com/

This store is down the block from my office ( I have absolutely no financial interest in the store and no, they don't market my whistles)
They have a marvellous selection of guitars, from relatively inexpensive ones, to one of a kind handmade masterpieces. The owner, Klem, is a terrific guy and will give you excellent advice. He sells at very non-greedy prices and does mail orders. Depending on where in Pa you live, it might even be worth a trip to Troy NY to spend a couple of hours in the shop looking at his guitars. If you do, stop in to say Hi to me too...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders mentions from time to time that he used to sell guitars.

I have an early 1950's era Gibson cutaway that I find to be pretty good. I'd recommend them, I think. Or a Martin 12-string.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

chattiekathy
I am a new student of the Guitar and would just like to remind you of some things to consider.
Nylon verses steel strings are you willing to put up with the discomfort while you get you finger in shape. If you go with nylon remember that the nut (neck with) on the Nylon string makes reaching the stings a bit more difficult if you have small hands.
3/4 size Nylon acoustic might be an option if you go that route.
You might want to get out the a few music stores and try out guitars even if you do not by one there.
When you are ready to purchase look for something that will keep its value solid top rather than a veneer.
You will find nothing new in your price range so shopping some of the smaller music stores with used instrument might be the way to go.
Good luck.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-12-07 05:27, plagon2000 wrote:
Hey Wombat, where would hand made guitars fit in your experience? There are a couple of luthiers up your way, Jack Spira and Laurence Smith, whose instruments I have seen at folk festivals in the past- nice work too! By comparison, they were not much more expensive than top of the line factory models. I find now that I would prefer a hand made whistle than a production model, but then guitars are not my line, what do you think?
I have a K.Yairi handmade 12 string, about 30-35 years old that has a nice tone. Martins are sort of hand made, aren't they? My 00028 is my favouriste accoustic. I don't know the work of the makers you mention, but Graham McDonald, a luthier in Canberra, is making me a bouzouki right now.

The trouble with small hand-made guitar operations is getting to select safely. We all know how very personal our choice of favourite high-end whistles is. With whistles most of us can afford to make mistakes but only millionaire rock stars can afford to make mistakes with guitars. So, I'd be very reluctant to recommend a hand-made guitar to someone who couldn't first try it, even if I loved it to death myself. A mistake is just too costly. But I do agree with your general point; if you play a friend's high-end, hand-made guitar and find it every bit as good as the expensive shop models, it's a good idea to order one.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Another good,reasonably priced guitar
variant-The Tacoma series:
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.c ... ma+Guitars
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

kathy,

My best advice is to visit some guitar shops, both discount and speciality. For example Mars Music and perhaps someplace like Appalachian Bluegrass in Baltimore. While there, you can get the names and models of a number of acoustic guitars that you like. Aftewards, you can check the classifieds. A lot of folks fall in love with the romance of playing guitar and after 3 years and 10 hours of practice finally sell their guitar. This is especially true of lower cost guitars. You also find a number of folks that bought good first guitars (yamaha, epiphone, takamine, etc) but have replaced it with an upscale guitar (martin, taylor).

The reason I recommend you visit a specialty shop is to give you an opportunity to get to know their staff. Most have a luther (guitar repair person) who can adjust your used guitar. I played a difficult guitar for a number of years. I took it into Baltimore Bluegrass (now out of business) and they adjusted the action, bridge, and nut. It was a lot easier to play and stayed in tune better. Best $25 I've spent on a musical instrument.

The specialty shops also usually have guitars on consignment for sale. They can also let you know what things to look for in a used guitar. Like solid wood top and back (no plywood or laminates), they'll help you hear the difference in the various body sizes, I prefer the depth of tone in a dreadnought or larger, but some folks like smaller sounding instruments. Get this advice from the luther and he may also point out those things he can fix easily and the things that turn a guitar into firewood (like warped necks).

I'm assuming you want to play irish traditional and folk music. You will probably want a steel string acoutic; however, if your just starting, you may want to start with a nylon string guitar. I did and played it for a couple of years before I went to steel strings. Also I'd recommend light gage strings, they take less tension to bring into tune and to play.

If you do get a guitar, drop me an e-mail. I'd be glad to offer additional suggestions like tune books, learning approaches, etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-12-08 04:19 ]</font>
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I have 3 acoustics. Two are Martins, an 0001 and an OM28VR. My other is an old Gibson B25. I like the small 000 bodies vs. the dreds which seem to be the standard size, though there are more smaller bodies being made these days.

I can't say much of the 0001 because it's been on loan for a couple years now and I haven't played it sence then. From what I remember it was an excellent guitar that I picked up for just under a grand. The price has come down on this model. My OM28VR is an amazing instrument. It has a huge tone which keeps getting better. It was pricey but hands down the best purchase I have ever made. I tried 5 different OM28VR's and knew instantly which one I would buy.

Two bits of advice, first try as many guitars as it takes within your price range. You'll know when you have found your guitar, and this shouldn't be taken lightly. The relationship you hold with an acoustic guitar is key. Second, change your strings as needed. Nothing will kill an acoustics tone quicker then dull strings.

Oh yeah, take your guitar to a quality tech after half a year or so for a set up. You should take it in right away if it's difficult to play, but generaly speaking it's always best to play on them for a while before you have it dialed in.

Enjoy.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

If Santa has the scratch it's hard to beat either a Taylor or a Martin. I'm partial to Taylor myself (they feel a little more like an electric guitar, which I started on), but I've never played a really poor Martin, either.

A little further down the scale the Martin "Sigma" are pretty good guitars, for the price.

At around the same price as the Sigmas you can get a Seagull. They are made in LaPatrie, Canada. The good ones sound and play much better than any Sigma I've seen, but you have to be careful as there is a lot of variation in the line. Back in 1999 I purchased a Seagull S6 (their basic, under $300 guitar). I checked out several of them in three or four different stores. Of the several I checked, only one was unacceptable (badly twisted grain and roughness on the fretboard, it shouldn't have left the factory). All of the others were nice guitars but I noticed that there was a lot of variation in feel and sound from one to another. You definitely want to pick the one that appeals to you.

BTW, this shouldn't be regarded as criticism, necessarily. In this price range you simply can't expect the uniformity AND good voice that you'll find in the more expensive lines.

I still have that Seagull, though I mostly play my Taylor small body. But, when I a bit more bottom end or a bit more volume I drag out the Seagull.

One thing I noticed about the Seagull was that it "came alive" very quickly. Guitars with solid wood tops (as opposed to laminate tops) improve the more they are played. They "open up" getting louder and with better voice. The Seagull opened up really quickly, possibly because of the very soft cedar top. The drawback to the soft cedar top is that it scratches and dents extremely easily. There are actually places on mine where you can see fingernail marks from where I've tapped the top for a percusive effect, and I keep my fingernails very short.

Most guitars in the $300 and under range (and quite a few at close to double that price) are going to have a laminated top. Many guitars with laminated tops play and sound just fine, but they won't improve with age and use like a solid top will.

The bottom line is take a knowledgeable person along when shopping for <b>any</b> guitar in the sub $1000 range. Above that mark it's fairly rare to find a lemon. Much below that mark and lemons become less rare and non-lemon variations become more common, too.

John
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Please don`t let all these dollar signs spoile the fun. When I bought my Guild back in the 60`s I payed about 500 bucks but the thing is that it had been in this guys shop for 2 years waiting for me to come by. You see no matter what anybody says music is magic. Your guitar is out there waiting for you to come by and meet it. You will find your 150 dollar guitar.
Tom
Gary

Post by Gary »

I've only been playing guitar 38 years and have 12 guitars. (You're supposed to have one for every year you've played but my wife doesn't believe me.) :wink: I'll share what little I know anyway...

Try to find a "knowing" guitarist to go with you to select a guitar. No two guitars sound alike, even by the same manufacturer. An experienced player will point out details you may not notice. He/she can also play it so that YOU can pick the one with the sound you like.

The first thing to select is one with a SOLID top. It will sound superior to the common plywood top guitars and give the instrument character. Looking at the edge of the wood in the soundhole will reveal if the top is solid or plywood. Last month, I helped one of my many students pick a nice solid top Yahama for $199 @ GC. I played several and let him decide.

The next thing to do is BUY A HUMIDIFIER. Winters are 'HECK' on an acoustic guitar. Dry winter weather? YEP. I've seen $1K acoustics ruined by split tops from drying out.

Good luck & Merry Christmas!

Gary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary on 2002-12-09 16:16 ]</font>
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Last night I found MY perfect guitar! Image

I played alot of different guitars in 3 different shops and I found a Seagull M6 Gloss with Micro EQ. I KNOW! It isn't anywhere near a $150 guitar but the Hubby was along and when He saw the look on my face when I played this guitar he decided that I just had to get the one that made me glow! Image He put it on layaway and knowing him he will find a way for me to have it on Christmas morning. He even had me pick out a strap and the humidifier and because Seagull sends the guitars in their own case we got the case too. I checked out the smaller folk and classical guitars and I really didn't find too much difference in how comfortable it was to hold. This is something I worried about because of my size. The sound difference between the one I chose and these smaller ones was so different and this one just took hold of me.

Oh Yeah! Hee Hee. Now I am gonna need advice on buying an amplifier. Hee Hee. (they threw in the amp chord) The hubby didn't know What he was getting into! Poor baby! I won't ask for one now though, I guess that will have wait for next christmas.

All I need now is a few tune books with chords to get started and hope that my memory kicks in when it comes to where to place my fingers. I guess I will have to do some searches for Tabs on the net. Probably some of my Hammer Dulcimer books have chords written in them. I will have to go check.

Before the fire took my old guitar and books, I had a really great chord book. I would like to find it again but don't have a clue what it was called. It measured around 15"long x 7"wide. I think it was made to fit in the guitar case. Do any of you know which one I am talking about. It was over 11 years ago so maybe it is out of print.

I also want to learn how to pick the notes and not just use chords so I asked about guitar lessons in their shop and I couldn't believe that the reply was 45 minute lessons for $10!!! So cheap! I expected it to be alot more expensive. I won't do that right away though. Unless I get frustrated.

Now I can't wait until Christmas!
You guys are all so great to help me find the guitar for me. I'll give you all an update a couple of days after Christmas if I can get myself away from the guitar and onto the computer.

Thanks again Chiffy friends,
Kathy

<font size=1> Edited cuz I ken't speell. </font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2002-12-10 11:44 ]</font>
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

See, I told you. Magic.
Your mention of a chord book sent me scurring back to my boxes of junk because I think I used to have that book. What I came up with was The Compact Blues Guitar Chord Reference, The Alternate Tunings Guide for Guitar,and a book called the incredible Chord Finder. The first two were put out by Amsco Publications and they also put out one called The Original Guitar Case Chord Book. They are all still around so you should be able to find it. They cost 5 bucks.
The other one I have had for a million years and is all salt water stained and nasty but I think it was put out about 1975 so it may not be easy to find. I know Oak Publications puts out great chord books and there are many others. Let me know if you have any luck.
Sweet dreams!

Tom
Gary

Post by Gary »

On 2002-12-10 11:40, chattiekathy wrote:

Oh Yeah! Hee Hee. Now I am gonna need advice on buying an amplifier.
Congratulations on your new Seagull!

A great acoustic guitar amp is the Trace Elliot series. Here's a link to reviews. http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/D ... ce_Elliot/

My own Seagull thru a Trace Elliot TAP1 preamp has been used in many live and studio sessions. It maintains the realism of an unamplified acoustic guitar without changing the acoustic tone or character.

Best of luck,
Gary
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm not sure why you need an amp. They're fairly expensive and aren't necessary for playing an acoustic guitar at home or in a session. In playing at pubs and so on I have always used a mic and the ampflication system of the place where I'm playing.

There are tons of guitar sites on the web that will give you chord fingerings.
For playing Irish music it is very unsatisfying to rely on other people's chord charts for tunes. Some are good; some are bad. Generally, the chords are not the ones I'd choose. Books of tunes with chords foster the idea that there is a single correct set of chords for a given tune.

Steve

Steve
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Congrats on the 'Gull! I knew you'd like one once you played it. The M6 is a very good guitar for the money. The makers of Seagull, Godin Guitar (formerly Lasido) have me convinced. Funny thing is they rarely advertise, they don't do internet sales and they use some really interesting wood. The tops on most of their acoustics is cedar that averages 1000 years old from naturally fallen trees. In any case, they make a good product.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."