You’re not Irish, so stop pretending.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Thanks.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:ElPollo, I'm a Guinness man myself, but I think I see where you are coming from. :wink: There are some truely 'effective' Danish beers going around!!!
MT, some people hear voices in their head, I heard whistle voices :D
What?... danish beer exist?

Carlsberg export is NOT beer.

I'm not a beer drinker myself, but the few times i do drink it, i prefer a cool Kilkenny. ^^
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Opium, pancelticpiper? Well, if Guiness is opium, I have no intention of laying off it!
I'm off now to do a search for opium on the 'net. (no, not to buy for goodness sake) I just realised I have absolutely no idea what opium does to a person. Does it effect the nerves, brain, senses etc?
'Religion is the opiate of the people' Karl Marx. Okay, that's as may be, but I'm off to find out what it has over Guinness. :pint:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
emtor

Post by emtor »

. . . or a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale :)
AlonE
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by AlonE »

xD
ketida

Post by ketida »

anniemcu wrote:
Ceili_whistle_man wrote:... I settled on the old Irish saying 'Whale Oil Beef Hooked' instead.
Am I correct in discerning that the emphasis on those syllables is ever so slightly 'tweaked'? :)

:o OHHH, Now I get it !!!
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I could be wrong, but I think we owe things like "Through The Looking Glass" to the effects of opium...
Tia

Post by Tia »

:lol: nice story
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Bariko

Post by Bariko »

Well, first post. May as well be here, I suppose. Also, hi!

I'm actually from the east coast of Canada, not China like my information says. My hometown was actually considered "the most Irish" city in North America (by percentage, obviously), though that was a while ago.

My grandfather was the only real music influence I had as a kid, he played guitar, piano and accordion. Lots of accordions. He managed to record some traditional style music and sold some tapes, but this was well before I was interested in the style of music. Now I remember a couple of stories he told about his trips to Ireland, long ago. I didn't know what a "session" was back then, but he was in one or two while visiting with some locals. At one, he said there was a bit of animosity or disdain since he wasn't "Irish" (the first of his family to come to Canada arrived in 1858, I believe). But, he said the session was fun enough, lots of jokes and such.

On his next trip, he went to the same city, different pub, and got into another session. He said it was almost as if they were more welcoming of him because he was Canadian. So I suppose it entirely depends on who you've got with you whether being "native" affects how you're received. I, myself, wouldn't know for sure, as I've yet to form any Irish/Celtic band. And it's kinda hard to do that in China. *cough*

Slainte!
Alex
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think one of the drugs I have to take is refined from opium, it's called morphine and I don't like the stuff.

Opium is supposed to cause sleeping and dreaming weird dreams along with pain relief according to my research. I have always had weird dreams, when I woke up and remembered them, at least.

I remember when I took the first few doses of morphine, it caused me to throw up and feel drunk. It hasn't helped me to sleep as I can tell.

In the hospital I had a pump that would give a small dose every 6 minutes and it was really effective as pain relief, but in pills the side effects are much greater to obtain about 80% of the pain relief.

BTW, I don't care for an alcohol buzz either. gimme coffee! Image
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

ketida wrote:
anniemcu wrote:
Ceili_whistle_man wrote:... I settled on the old Irish saying 'Whale Oil Beef Hooked' instead.
Am I correct in discerning that the emphasis on those syllables is ever so slightly 'tweaked'? :)

:o OHHH, Now I get it !!!

:D

Excellent story, Ceili! :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Ceili_whistle_man

I had a major hip operation about 12 years ago and I woke up as I was being wheeled out of the operating theatre. A nurse(?) looked down at me with a surprised look on her face and said 'What are you doing here?'.
I replied 'Why, were you expecting me to be dead?'. She explained that I should not be awake because of the amount of anaesthetic I had pumped into me. I was given a big shot of morphine to ease the pain and sedate me, but it didn't do anything for me.
I learned a couple of things from my hospital stay, Morphine made me sick as a dog and did nothing to even slightly change the pain level.
I found that I have a high level of resistance to the effects of medication of any sort. I have not taken any prescription drugs or any drugs for that matter since then. So the bottom line is when I go to see my Doctor I come away with a diagnosis and a useless prescription.
I tend to self medicate, and I would like to thank Mr.Guinness and sons for that! :pint: :D :pint:
My little episode with the talking whistles was all sober and drug free, so make of it what you will!!!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Ceili_whistle_man

BTW, the little saying at the bottom of the page should be read with an implied Irish accent, some people get first up, others take a little longer!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!