High end D's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Killain
antispam: No

Post by Killain »

I find the sindt was always loud enough for my playing at my pub, though I use other things now as I got the fever and bought "Higher end" High end whistles. Aka decided to start spending alot....

But for the original poster go check out
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/

Look into your options and pricing and listen to what your options are then really find something that plays to your ears... whistles are so diverse as are players it is hard to tell a person what to get... to me a whistle might sound like nothing special to the next it may be a pot of gold.
But since it falls unto my lot that I should go and you should not, I'll gently rise and softly call, goodnight and joy be with you all.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I like the Burke and will probably buy one later this year. I have a Humphreys which is great and an Alba Q1 that is also great. The Q1 is quieter but a nice whistle to play. I taught my grandson, 15, to play last summer. At Christmas he played quite a few of my whistles but his favorite is the Q1. He says that it is easier to play than the Sweetone I gave him last summer. He also has a Clare and a Waltons C that I gave him for Christmas.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have a silver Sindt D with a delrin head.
It's lovely and I think it costs 120.
But it's marginally loud enough--though
I play in circumstances where a good
deal of volume is needed.
It seems a wee bit louder than the
brass Sindt.

Is the Sindt D louder than the burke narrow
bore aluminum whistle?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jim stone wrote:Is the Sindt D louder than the burke narrow
bore aluminum whistle?
I own and play both a Sindt brass D and Burke narrow bore whistles in alu, brass and composite. I don't find the Sindt to be as loud as the Burkes but it isn't a huge difference. They all sound good, the Sindt has the more traditional tone. They are all loud enough for sessions though YMMV depending on free reeds and such at your session.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

My top three are Reyburn, Overton, and Copeland. I find I reach for the Reyburn the most. Cyril
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Humphrey whistles are excellent. If the price is right, you won't go wrong with a humphrey. Personally, I too end up playing my Burkes and Sindts most of the time. You might be able to find a used Burke here for sale. I notice them being listed from time to time.
scheky

Post by scheky »

I find the the more pure tone of the Burke Aluminum D makes it seem a bit louder than my Sindt Silver D. However, the Sindt has a more complex tone.

To me, and this is all personal opinion, my Sindt is the perfect whistle. I've played most of the High-High Enders in my time, and well let's face it, I've played way too many whistles. That Sindt is just exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not knocking on the Burke in any way...it's still a great whistle and I have been finding that I prefer his low whistles over any others...once again, just for the sound that's right for me.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

If you're really trying to stay closer to $100, check into an O'Brien. I have a C/D set. It took me a little while to get used to (squeaks & squawks and a very loud high A and B). However, I've "suddenly" managed to tame all that somehow (mostly) and really like it now. I've loved the tone and responsiveness from day one though.

It's pretty loud, but not unplayable inside the house, with a wide bore. Mine's nickel-plated copper.

Jason
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

Leachim, everybody has their favorites because the tone and playing characteristics of the various whistles vary quite a bit. You would probably be happy with any of the whistles mentioned so far. Until you have tried a fair sampling of different whistles, you won't really know what characteristics in a whistle you will prefer. Now Burkes are a very safe bet because they are well made, consistant and very in tune. They're 170.00 cost though is a bit more than some.
I have three Humphrey whistles and all are exelent sounding, well made and also very much in tune. The "concert" bore D is a bit louder and more full in sound than the narrow or "traditional" bore but the top of the second octave is just a tad too loud for playing at home (at least for me). The narrow bore Burkes and the traditional bore humphreys also need to have Cnatural played with oxx-xox fingering or the breath needs to be held back quite a bit on that note for it to be in tune. The wide bore models can have that note played with the oxx-ooo fingering which some find easier.
Have fun and happy New Year!
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have a Burke blacktip brass session pro, but it isn't the whistle I pick up and play for my own pleasure.

The Clarke Original design D with the thumb squoosh tweak has been my favorite for several years.

It isn't in the $100 range, about 1/3 that, I got an Every Whistle with a just intonation tuned tube for Christmas that is pressing me for that position now. It will play nearly if not as loudly as the Burke with the tone ring wide open and even quieter than the Clarke Original design at about 1/3 of the windway exposed, great for after hours /practicing playing and for waltzes and airs. It has good chiff in the bottom octave and the top octave is nice and almost "sweet", but with a better tone than the Burke IMHO.

It is tunable, whereas the Clarke is not, which is another slight advantage.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

It turns out I've got a set of Kerry Songbirds coming, both the high and low D.
Its sort of a late christmas present :wink:
I've had my eye on the low D for some time now, but the reviews I have read about the high D have'nt told me about its volume.
Its a wide bore right? So it should be louder, but I've read that if you have good breath control you can play it either quietly or loudly depending on the situation at hand.
Either way I CAN'T wait to get them!!!!!
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

CranberryDog wrote:My top three are Reyburn, Overton, and Copeland. I find I reach for the Reyburn the most. Cyril
I'm in agreement regarding the Reyburn and Overton.

I'd recommend a Humphry vs. a Burke if you don't have the cash for a Reyburn or an Overton.

Nothing wrong with a Burke mind you - lovely, easy playing, pure voiced whistles and I have a brass one myself. My Humphry just sounds more like a whistle should, with the same quality of workmanship, according to my taste.

Peace,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

My long time standard brass Burke session was recently de-throned by a Compostie session. Love that thing!

I also have a Sindt I quite like. The Reyburns and Humpreys are great as well. No bad choices here.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Rather than decide that you have $100 to spend and then try and find a whistle to fit the budget, wouldn't you be better finding the whistle you really really like and then sorting the budget out to fit that?

Surely waiting a while and saving a little extra or selling a few things for the whistle you really really want is better that spending all of $100 on a "that'll have to do" whistle now?

Just my thoughts...

...wait, save, sell your television and buy a Fred Rose!

You won't regret selling the television.

:D