Musically Talented or Mentally Unbalanced

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Elmore
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Musically Talented or Mentally Unbalanced

Post by Elmore »

Hey it's fast approaching Christmas with it's vast array of musical opportunities. Wherever I go I bring my Feadog Pro/White Cap combo and I enjoy playing it anytime...anywhere. City streets, stores you name it. I especially enjoy playing it for children. They seem to love it. Overall most ages of people seem to enjoy my playing. My family hates it. They seem to think that I am retarded...mentally challenged. I just enjoy the heck out of it...making beautiful music and creating instant smiles. Besides that it's easier than carrying a tenor sax around. What do you think?
Merry Christmas. Create smiles.
"Imagination without education is like a bird without feet"
"Feet entangle birds, words...men"
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Musically Talented or Mentally Unbalanced

Post by MTGuru »

Elmore wrote:Besides that it's easier than carrying a tenor sax around. What do you think?
It's hard to disagree with that. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

"Musically Talented or Mentally Unbalanced" - not mutually exclusive.

Kevin Krell
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm with you Elmore-- bringing live, spontaneous music to places where it's least expected is a real joy. People really do love it, as long as you don't do it in places where it would be obtrusive (eg in a movie theatre :P )
The only thing for you to do is teach your family to play so they can see what it's all about.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

It is a natural right and privilege of middle-age to be able to embarrass your children in public. What goes around, comes around.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

the cashiers at my local grocery store have come to expect a harmonica song during my checkout or while i am waiting for my neighbor to finish his shopping. i've not played the whistle inside the grocery store but i have played it with the salvation army bell ringers outside the store.

i also can't help but think that we're helping folks.

no, you are not mentally unbalanced, i do the same thing and i'm sane. nevermind all those medications i'm prescribed that stabilize things.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Seeing and listening to musicians playing publicly has always been an encouragement to me.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

kkrell wrote:"Musically Talented or Mentally Unbalanced" - not mutually exclusive.
Truer words have never been written, Kevin. There was a wonderful article in the Washington Post last weekend on Brian Wilson. What a tortured genius. He was mostly washed up at the age of 23 due to a mixture of drug abuse and mental illness. He's finally gotten his sh*t together in the last 5-10 years. His story brings two things to mind:

It sucks when someone touches so many lives but can't enjoy it.

You gotta wonder what the world would have been like had Brian been able to keep it together. It might have been the Beach Boys who were "more popular than God."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

chas wrote:
kkrell wrote:It might have been the Beach Boys who were "more popular than God."
Even more than the Beatles?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Denny

Post by Denny »

it was a close race until Brian folded....

http://www.history-of-rock.com/beach_boys.htm
Strom

Post by Strom »

I think it's so cool that you play in public like that. I have the same set up, a Hoover White Cap on a nickel Feadog body, it looks great and plays well. Keep it up and have fun!
Eric
"Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere"
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

I owe the folks down at the JACK'S hamburger restaurant a tune or two on my tenor sax. No I didn't trade food for music but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe the sushi bars are up to that. At Jack's they go wild and start dancing when I play the whistle. I serenaded Mack Hoover with my sax, flute and whistle tonight but I don't think he cooks. Maybe he'll cook me up a White Cap to fit my "C" whistle bodies.
Elmore

Post by Elmore »

Strom wrote:...I have the same set up, a Hoover White Cap on a nickel Feadog body, it looks great and plays well...
You might have your white cap on backwards...mine looks well and plays great!
Do you cook? Send sandwiches and I'll call. heh heh
Last edited by Elmore on Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

That's what I love about whistles. You can stow one hidden somewhere and whip it out any time. We had our office December birthday lunch the other day. I whipped out my Bb and played Happy Birthday. I hate singing it.

You aren't mentally unbalanced. Either that, or we all are. I'm not even any good at this and I play in the park or at the beach all the time. I even gave some consideration to creating a whistle quiver for my scooter (I ride a Vespa to work each day) so I can play at long traffic signals. Then I remembered I wear gloves when I ride so that won't work. Too bad.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

IDAwHOa wrote:
chas wrote:It might have been the Beach Boys who were "more popular than God."
Even more than the Beatles?

Mmmmmm... improperly attributed quote. Ahhh, much better now.

Kevin Krell