Which key whistle: C or Bb?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bubbie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which key whistle: C or Bb?

Post by Bubbie »

Hi. I have a chance to get a new whistle for the upcoming holidays. I already have a couple of nice D sopranos, a low D, and an A whistle that I like. I have a Bb by Generation but it just isn't any fun to play. I've had other Gens as well and I'm just not that big of a fan for the way they play.

I can't decide on which key to get. I play some slow airs and I want a key that is more toned down and less bright than a soprano D. I have the A which is nice, but I want something a little smaller in size than the A, and with a more mellow tone than a soprano D. Is a Bb too close in tone to an A? I can't tell with the Gen because it plays poorly. Or what about getting a C for what I want to play? Any views or suggestions for me really would be appreciated!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

My view would be C - you can easily play in keys of C and F, it´s crucial for playing tunes with no sharps.

But since you have all these whistles, maybe you could buy something better (I haven´t found any Clarke or Generation, which would be fully in tune)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You'll probably get at leat one of each eventually. Just toss a coin. Both are great keys. IMO Bb is quite different from A and it's worth having some even if you don't play with other musicians.
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

I went through this decision a little over a year ago. I finally decided that the somewhat lower tone was a priority for me. The C was close to D, the Bb was close to A (which I also had), but in the end, lower was what I liked better.

BUT...

Adrian is right. You'll eventually want both, so don't look at this like it's the last whistle you'll be buying.

I already have a Bb, but I'm eyeing an Impempe Bb now. Trying to work out the logistics.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I have a Generation Bb and a Susato Dublin C, I love them both, but the sound of the Susato is incredible, and not too loud. The price is just u$s 21,90, so it's not that expensive.
Here's an example of the sound http://www.whistlethis.com/index.php?co ... eU1nPT0%3D
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Do you play alone or do you play along with other or recorded music?

Do you play for others to sing to?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Bb is hard to beat.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I've used C way more when playing with others but I love to play my Gen Bb on my own.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

both
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
riverman

Post by riverman »

The C is good for fast tunes, like reels and jigs, the Bb rocks for ballads and slow airs.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I really doubt the Generation plays poorly... Unless you have some plastic gunk in the fipple etc.. But I have a bunch of Gens, and the Bb in brass is one of my favorites to play. If you've never played Generations before, they're going to play "poorly", simply because they're not so forgiving as say a Clarke Sweetone - One has to learn to play them...

If you're asking which key between Bb and C would be more useful in a session, I would have to say C over Bb.

If you want my opinion, for a mellow but still somewhat bright key, B would be the way to go. :)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I really hated my Generation Bb too. I'm mostly a flute player but recently I got out my Bb and wow! I really love it now! What happened to it?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Nothing happened to it, YOU happened to it. By becoming a better wind player. Simple as that. :D
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Bubbie

Post by Bubbie »

Thanks to everybody for your replies. Your comments helped me make my decidion. You are right, I will someday have tin whistles in both keys. I am going to put a Bb whistle on my Christmas list this year because it will probably sound the best with the slower tunes that I like to play.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

No problem, it was a pleasure answering........ oh.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus