What's your opinion about G whistles? (High G!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's your opinion about G whistles? (High G!)

Post by Bothrops »

I just ordered one of these together with other whistles in another keys (I have a bad case of WhOA disorder right now).

I asked for it mainly because I wanted to play along with some recordings. In a first occasion I tried to play along with a D whistle but it doesn't sound exact, then I tried it with a lent high G and it goes perfectly!
Besides I love the sound of the high G, a 'bit' high, but it sounds funny, lol!
What do you think?

Greetings!
Bothrops
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Funny, I also bought high G a bit back when I fell off the WhOA wagon. I have to say I don't regret it. I think it's a fun little whistle. The only downfall is that I can only play it when my husband's not home.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I find them too screechy for my ears. My other problem with my Susato G is that the holes are so close together it is hard to play with my stubby fingers.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Adrian wrote:I find them too screechy for my ears. My other problem with my Susato G is that the holes are so close together it is hard to play with my stubby fingers.

I have a Gen G. It's easier to play than my Impempe F, because it's a lot thinner. I have no problems with the holes there (contrary to my F). What I also did was putting putty under the windway. Now it rings like a bell, it's stable and has a purer, cleaner sound. I love it, although I don't play it much.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

G, an octave down, rocks.
arnie

Post by arnie »

jim stone wrote:G, an octave down, rocks.
I reckon. Once I want to have one of these.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

My Gen High G is known locally as the Whistle of Mass Destruction. :) I did the stickytack tweak and it's pure and pretty. But it is a loud little dude.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

they make great christmas tree ornaments. (my fingers are too big.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Yup - too shrill and I can't play 'em 'cos my fingers get wedged together. F is my upwards limit. G an octave down is great, though, as has been said - useful too.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I've had a Gen G for a long time, sweet little whistle but my fingers overlap when I try to play. I can get a tune out of it but it's not as crisp as it's lower-keyed cousins.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The dogs love them. At least they always join in when I play one of them. I only play them occasionally but I enjoy them a lot. I have a Gen brass and a Gen nickel. I have a Dixon one octave down which is very good. One of my favorite whistles.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.